Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2010, 11:21 PM

22 posts, read 53,786 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I might be moving to work in NYC- 7th avenue, 50th st to be precise. I am moving for better career prospects and quality of life from where I am currently in Hong Kong.

I posted a similar thread on NJ forum and understand that Hoboken and Weehawken may be the best bet given my requirements. I tried looking most of the relevant posts in this forum and feel that Astoria, Bayside and Forest Hills might be better suited as compared to living in NJ.

I am seeking to rent a 2-3 BR apt. We are a family of 3 with a kid who would be around 2 years when we move. We are seeking a safe neighbourhood, preferably in area with families having young kids and good pre-schools. Not sure if need to worry about school as the kid is too young right now. But perhaps a place which has good pre-schools. Budget for rent is $2500 max. I can stretch $1000 for pre-school/day care in case pre-schools are not available.

I am willing to spend 45-60 min commute from door to desk. Another consideration is groceries and shopping within walkting distance and being safe. May consider buying own apt with a budget of 300k-400k in 2 years time frame so dont mind staying in the area for sometime (1-2 years) and start looking out places with good school district to buy own house.
Any advise and suggestions?

Also would like to understand if there are tax diff if I live in Queens vs NJ? How much it would be?

Thanks very much.

Apologies for the long post but wanted to provide as much info as possible.

N
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City