Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2010, 08:58 AM

769 posts, read 2,050,842 times

Advertisements

I don't see how they can ticket you for this other than maybe the cop can say he knew Ohio also requires the front plate. When we drive up later this week we'll have a FL tag for about a month and they will not even give you the second plate for the front of the car, so I doubt any officer can ticket me for that.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 09:21 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,577,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
In accordance with the Interstate Highway Act, what's legal in your home state (the car is registered to) is legal in the state you are currently in.

Have a hearing, fight the ticket.
Cop didn't give you the benefit of the doubt-

Regardless if you're right or wrong, fight it.
You're out of state- you'll probably get it dismissed.
WOW! Every one needs money . So do you , soooo fight it . your defense is very simple . You demand a hearing , and state in that demand that your rights to due process were violated under U.S.Title 42,1983.( and Don't start laughing it works.) you see at your hearing you have the right to demand a verified complaint be filed , the court always says that the ticket is just that a "complaint" but you have a right to a "VERIFIED COMPLAINT "constitutionally"and that ticket is not one . Why ? well first it is demanding you pay with out having your trial. Next it is not signed by the cop they all print their name ( thats not a signature so the ticket can not comply with the requirement for a verified complaint). Lastly the cop didn't do his job, when he found that your plate was missing rather then leave you a note that a passable crime had been committed ( the removal of your front plate) he assumed YOU had committed a crime! ( He can't be judge , Jury and Tax collector unless you as millions due accept their violation of your rights ( the same rights they swore an oath to uphold ). Again don't laugh this process has worked all over the country and the cases are dismissed . Why do you think the offer a discount on line ? Answer, it saves time and money and to them it doesn't matter get a little or get a lot as long a they get some thing from you .

Old 11-08-2010, 11:15 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,791,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
If you requested the replacement plate online, then you have a receipt for its request. As long as its dated before (or the date of) the ticket, just plead not guilty and include a copy of the receipt.

Since you dont know how it was removed, report the plate as stolen. This will show up in their computers to verify the car.

If you are going to fight the ticket (or pay it) read the following link first:

NYC Parking Tickets - NYC Driving and Parking in New York City
That's a great link for the OP Neil. I always dispute my tickets, in fact, I have one pending right now.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:22 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
I always dispute my tickets
Out of anywhere in the world, I've had most of the stupidest parking tickets in NY. My last stupid ticket was when I got a double parking ticket in front of a Funeral home. I stepped out of car to get driving directions to the cemetary just in case and when I got back there was a ticket on my windshield. What makes it more aggravating that the car was running, had three occupants and was the lead car to follow the hearse. I mailed in a statement from the funeral director with the ticket.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:30 PM

7 posts, read 11,720 times
That's why they say don't drive your car into NY.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:25 PM

132 posts, read 446,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal7 View Post
That's why they say don't drive your car into NY.
Screw that! You should be able to drive your car anywhere in NYC and not get bogus tickets. This city is always hungry for money and they pick on hard working middle class folk to pay their salary for nonsense!

Old 03-01-2011, 09:01 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKATL View Post
Screw that! You should be able to drive your car anywhere in NYC and not get bogus tickets. This city is always hungry for money and they pick on hard working middle class folk to pay their salary for nonsense!
Sounds about right- if an officers ticket gets thrown out on account of ill validity, that officer should have to spend 2 unpaid hours ushering people in and out of traffic court.

See how it feels to have to waste so much time on something that wasn't right in the first place.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:38 PM

10 posts, read 15,484 times
Default I once received a parking ticket for no front plate driving a car registered in a state which only requires a rear plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
I don't see how they can ticket you for this other than maybe the cop can say he knew Ohio also requires the front plate. When we drive up later this week we'll have a FL tag for about a month and they will not even give you the second plate for the front of the car, so I doubt any officer can ticket me for that.
I used to live in Arizona (which has no front license plate), and when I moved back to NJ, I drove around for a couple of weeks with an AZ plate on my car. One day, I drove into Manhattan and parked on the street. I received a parking ticket from one of the Traffic Bureau parsites for "failure to display front plate". I went to the nearest TVB hearing office to challenge the ticket. After waiting for about an hour, I was called into a hearing room, and without saying a word, my ticket was dismissed.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:22 PM

5 posts, read 10,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzyy View Post
I don't think they're supposed to ticket you for no front plate in the first place if you're car is registered out of state.

Some states do not require front plate.
What this person says is correct. Fight the ticket.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:01 PM

353 posts, read 471,276 times
NYPD traffic agents works like this...

"Ticket Everything - see what sticks"

They have daily quotas to meet, but there is no disciplinary action for wrongly issued tickets to the traffic agents. So when in doubt, the traffic agent will ticket you and let you waste your time fighting it if you so choose to. Welcome to NYC.

p.s. I have many friends that play the "I lost my front plate" because they have a nice car and "Hate how the front plate ruins the look".

One buddy of mine got out of state plates by using an address of his sister who lives in Florida on purpose so he doesn't have to put the front plate on. Not saying this is what you did, but...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City