Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2010, 08:18 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times

Advertisements

was to attend excellent education institutions outside the city. I guess I could have made a point of applying in town, but I wanted to try something different. I would have moved back here later, but my career took me in different directions. My DD is entering college in upstate NY in september, and if she does end up in NYC, I will be delighted (and might even support her a little bit, but she will be no trust fund baby). I still visit my wifes family in NYC.

I suspect lots of folks who leave NY do so for the very same reasons that people leave anytown in the USA. They find particular opportunities that make more sense for them, and they take them.

I think so much of this "NYC is so awful" "folks who leave can't hack it" is so immature, on both sides. Different places have different things to offer. Different people have not only different preferences, but face different opportunities. Thats the way the world works, and I dont think I would want it any other way.

NYC isnt the promised land, and going to it, or leaving it, is not making an ideological statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 08:31 AM

13 posts, read 22,026 times
i completely agree with you, when i graduated high school i had plans of going to university in california, but they were all shattered because i had no money and my parents refused to support me unless i attended a university in new york city. I still have a little bit of desire to leave nyc just to experience life in another city, but until i make more money it's impossible.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:42 AM

57 posts, read 196,714 times
Personally, I think it’s awesome when people are thinking about spreading their wings, and I also have to admit that I’m somewhat jealous of those who do it at a very young age because it took me until my late 20s to get out of the very large European city that I was born and raised in, a place that lots and lots of people consider a must-see (or even must-live-in) place, while I felt that I absolutely HATED it.

But in hindsight I think I was just confused, because it really wasn’t about my feelings for my hometown: instead, I was just seeking reasons to justify my urge to conquer the world.

My recommendation is always: instead of trying to come up with reasons to leave the current place, I would focus on finding reasons to move to a certain future destination.

Those are two very different angles and, emotionally, the positive approach puts us into much higher spirits because we’ll be happily looking forward to where we are going, instead of angrily looking back at where we are coming from.

Last edited by Cogita Ante Scribis; 12-10-2010 at 08:52 AM..

Old 12-10-2010, 01:17 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,062,021 times
You really don't owe anybody an explanation as to why you moved out of NYC. It has nothing to do with "folks who leave can't hack it."

Living in the same place most of your life is kind of boring if you think about it. Some people like me just don't like to explore or travel. My sister is always trying to convince me to move to Arizona, but I am not a fan of the hot weather. I like the cold and especially the snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City