Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 05:12 PM

591 posts, read 927,297 times

Advertisements

Im planning a week trip for myself to NYC in June/July. I would like to know the best places to visit in just a week. I know all the main attractions, but i want to know if some of them would be a waste of time to go and see and miss others in such a short space of time.

Where is cheap to stay maybe in the city or on the outskirts?

The best way to get around the city for least money?

And, how much would it roughly cost me on my week trip? To help i would visit 1 or 2 sites a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 09:37 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,324,000 times
If you are ok with staying in a hostel and can eat cheaply, about $100-125 per day to cover hostel/ food/ admissions fees & other travel costs.

If you want to stay in an ok hotel (small, but in a safe part of manhattan) and enjoy a nice meal or two and maybe see a Broadway show, $350-400/day.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:36 PM

69 posts, read 119,446 times
Best way to get around would be to buy a Metrocard, one week will cost $29.

Do you have any particular sites you wish to see? Do you like music? Artwork? Steak?

I recommend avoiding ground zero.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:22 AM

43,717 posts, read 44,480,109 times
As already mentioned the best way to get around the city is using the subway and local buses by purchasing a weekly Metrocard.
I suggest staying in Long Island City where one get a reasonable hotel room, be close to Manhattan and have good access to the subway: Long Island City - Queens Hotels near New York - Book Long Island City - Queens Hotels in New York, New York | Expedia (http://www.expedia.com/Long-Island-City-Queens-New-York-Hotels.0-n6056462-0.Travel-Guide-Filter-Hotels - broken link)
If you are willing to stay in a youth hostel with shared bathroom facilities (in Manhattan) I suggest the Vanderbilt Y on E. 47th Street: YMCA of Greater New York: Manhattan Hostels | Vanderbilt Rooms | NYC Hotels near Grand Central
As for attractions to see it really depends on what you are interested in.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:25 PM

I wouldnt mind hostels. Are those the things you have to get to by a certain time to get a room or are they like small motels?
$29 seems cheap for a weeks travelling, especially as i will be using it alot.

I have a rough idea of the things that i would like to see, a broadway show is one, The Lion King i hear is good.
I would also like to go to 1 or 2 locations a day to see sites and touristy things.

I wouldnt go to Ground Zero, its not my thing. For me i dont want to queue up for a long time just to see what remains. (It has its sentiments to thousands around the world, but i will remember it as i remember all terrorist acts (In the back of my mind) and leave them there. They i have less fear.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Matt View Post
I wouldnt mind hostels. Are those the things you have to get to by a certain time to get a room or are they like small motels?
$29 seems cheap for a weeks travelling, especially as i will be using it alot.

I have a rough idea of the things that i would like to see, a broadway show is one, The Lion King i hear is good.
I would also like to go to 1 or 2 locations a day to see sites and touristy things.

I wouldnt go to Ground Zero, its not my thing. For me i dont want to queue up for a long time just to see what remains. (It has its sentiments to thousands around the world, but i will remember it as i remember all terrorist acts (In the back of my mind) and leave them there. They i have less fear.

Thank you for your suggestions.
As far as I know there is no time restriction for the check-in at the Vanderbilt Y. All you need is a photo identification that shows you are not a local resident.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:44 AM

That can be provided. So i have my first step to my trip sorted of where i will be staying.

Next locations - What to visit each day, preferably close to each other.
Where to eat - Probably McDonalds.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:54 AM

Ew- please don't come here and eat at McDonald's!! NYC has so much wonderful cheap food there's no need to hit up the fast food joints. A huge slice of delicious NYC pizza is only $2.5-$3. There are great cheap Chinese restaurants in Chinatown and most Japanese & Chinese restsurants have a big-portionsd lunch special for under $10. NMany ethnic restaurants in the East Village are very affordable- Thai, sushi, Ukranian, Korean, Thai, etc. Around $10 for lunch and maybe $20 for dinner. There are authentic NYV diners everywhere- a good greasy spoon breakfast or lunch is $10-15. There are burger places and sandwich shops and bagel delis and food carts (a food chart lunch can be as cheap as $5-6, same as a Big Mac combo). Absolutely NO need to be eating at McDonald's!!

Old 01-12-2011, 12:03 PM

What to see depends on your interests:

The Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Frick Collection, and the Guggenheim are all within a few blocks on 5th Avenue

Visiting Central Park and seeing the American Museum of Natural History could take a 2nd day.

Seeing St Patrick's Cathedral, Rockefeller Center, Times Square and possibly 5th Avenue shopping if you're interested is a 3rd day.

The Empire State Building, JP Morgan Library and Museum, and the Flatiron Area is a 4th day.

Exploring the West Village & Village areas around NYU can take a whole day.

Exploring Chinatown, Lower East Side, and Little Italy can take a whole day.

Visiting Ellis Island, the Statue of Liberty, downtown manhattan (Wall Street, etc) and walking across the Brooklyn Bridge is a whole day.

If you want to explore Brooklyn, that's another day or two.

If you want to go to the Bronx Zoo or Botanical Gardens, that's a day.

If you're a hardcore shopper, that can take more than a day.

If you want to rent a car and drive up the Hudson to see Hyde Park and the villages, that's a 1-2 day side-trip. Or going to Newport, RI to see the 19th century mega mansions built by the Vanderbilts and Morgans, that's a 1-2 day sidetrip.

It just depends on what is important to you. I recommend getting a Fodor's NYC book or Eyewitness Travel NYC to read up more on the major and minor sights. NYC is very easy to navigate and those books are laid out by neighborhood, so you should easily be able to figure out how to plan your days.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Matt View Post
That can be provided. So i have my first step to my trip sorted of where i will be staying.

Next locations - What to visit each day, preferably close to each other.
Where to eat - Probably McDonalds.
The Vanderbilt Y has a self-service cafeteria that I suggest you check out as one option for convenient meals. (It also has a gym.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City