Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2011, 07:19 PM

34 posts, read 399,112 times

Advertisements

I have researched what you should have ready when you find an apartment you like and one of the items on the list is your tax return.

Does that mean you need to provide a copy of your entire 1040?

"Paperwork When you are ready to start looking for an apartment you must have all your paperwork with you (tax return, pay stubs, letter of employment, bank statement). Why? Because when you find your apartment you must act fast. In New York City, apartments can be listed and rented in a matter of minutes. Waiting 24 hours for your HR department to prepare a required letter of employment can cause you to lose the apartment to someone who already had his or her paperwork in hand. By having all this paperwork prepared and with you, you can assure yourself the best chance of beating out your competition." This is from Frequently Asked Questions // DSA Realty Services · The type of real estate agent you deserve (http://www.dsarealty.com/index.php/site/faq/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 09:11 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
This is what I remember sending in for my last apartment:

2 years of 1040's- page 1 only (showing Gross Income and Adjusted Gross Income)
Letter from employer stating salary and length of employment
Letter from previous 2 landlords stating I was a good tenant and always paid rent on time
2 years of W2 stubs
Last 2 (3?) months of cover sheets for all bank accounts- checking, savings, etc. Just the cover sheet with balances, not the detail pages.
Promise to give them my first born son (just kidding, but it felt like it!)

If you have a guarantor, they will need to have all of the same info prepared.

Also- this always got me because I would forget- landlords want money orders or certified checks - not normal checks (which can easily bounce) from a NYC bank branch, so make sure you can quickly get to the bank when you are ready to apply. If you are not currently in NYC, make sure you bank at a bank with NYC locations, like BOA or Chase, because an out of town check (or any check) won't be acceptable.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:41 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,441,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
This is what I remember sending in for my last apartment:

2 years of 1040's- page 1 only (showing Gross Income and Adjusted Gross Income)
Letter from employer stating salary and length of employment
Letter from previous 2 landlords stating I was a good tenant and always paid rent on time
2 years of W2 stubs
Last 2 (3?) months of cover sheets for all bank accounts- checking, savings, etc. Just the cover sheet with balances, not the detail pages.
Promise to give them my first born son (just kidding, but it felt like it!)

If you have a guarantor, they will need to have all of the same info prepared.

Also- this always got me because I would forget- landlords want money orders or certified checks - not normal checks (which can easily bounce) from a NYC bank branch, so make sure you can quickly get to the bank when you are ready to apply. If you are not currently in NYC, make sure you bank at a bank with NYC locations, like BOA or Chase, because an out of town check (or any check) won't be acceptable.
i understand some of the things like the letter from the work on the salary and how long a person has been with the company i understand along with some basic info about the person basic financial info along with the letters from the your fomer landloads

but asking a person for W2 and tax returns for two years worth goes way beyond you would see in another state when renting apt there ..plus some of the question you where asked about personal info went way beyond the normal realm of asking questions about the person and there own personal info that they seam to what to know ..

i did tell the person who showed me the place i explain to them that i would not furnish alot of the socalled info that they asked for those and i explained to them in a very nice way that goes beyond the normal renting question for why do you need two years of W2 and my tax returns to rent me a place ..i got the place without them for i explained to the lady who was the broker who i had hired to find me a place ..

Last edited by henry1; 01-12-2011 at 09:52 PM..

Old 01-13-2011, 12:43 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
i explained to them in a very nice way that goes beyond the normal renting question for why do you need two years of W2 and my tax returns to rent me a place ..i got the place without them
Nice going. In my humble opinion they should ask for W-2's *or* tax returns, not both. Because in my opinion one will provide the same basic info as the other. Unless they're trying to compare to catch a lie or something? And a tax return has the name and contact info for the person who prepared the return - So that could be another difference, but it's minor so I don't know why some people ask for both.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:09 AM

i have lived in Ga and Nc and Fl and Tx and Az and Los Vegas and Gulf cost of Miss and Tenn and Ohio and Ill areas of the states for my work and i have never filled out a more than a two side application with a letter from my company saying that iam beening transfered to the city for work and i would be there for a basic length of time for work and a basic statement from my work on how much i make a year to get into a apt those states where i lived and worked in and nothing more along with haveing the money for the first and last month rent and depost in hand for the person to take ..

the person who rented me my place there was very nice and said basically that the nice way i have ever heard someone one say no to me about alot of the socalled personal info areas that he wanted ..

i feel that all the basic info is all that is need to rent the apt in this day and age and my credit score and the two letters from my work should cover everything that they need to know about me ..plus you got to think some of the things plain out borders on snoping around in your background and which they do not need to know that area. ..

they do not need to know our much money i pay in taxs or how much money i get back in a tax return or how much my bounus from work are or how much money i have in my personal accounts ...this area is just plain out beening a snope or a busy body about the personal info ..

if you read the info they post it two years worth of paycheck stubs and tax returns along with other things ..

i mean we do a complete back ground check on you because of you handleing massive amount of money inside the company and it done with a reasoning of finding out about the socalled problems like gambleing or stealing or something that would keep you from comeing to work for us..

but as one person put to me it more of beening a snope than renting apt to you with some of these people ..

Last edited by henry1; 01-13-2011 at 02:21 AM..

Old 01-13-2011, 04:24 AM

483 posts, read 853,970 times
^^ It doesn't matter what you "feel" or how it's done in any of those states. This is NYC and that's the way it's done. You will probably be competing with a few people for that one small apartment so be ready or go "home".

To the OP, for my current apt, I had to show my current bank statements and an employment letter as well as a credit check. Other apts I've had, I've had to give a couple years worth of tax returns, previous LL's reference letter, employment letter, bank statements and a credit check. For all of them, I've had to give bank checks for the first month, security, etc...

Old 01-13-2011, 06:28 AM

Hey, I'm fine with providing all that info. It's largely what saved the market from crashing down by 40-60% in NYC. For renters, landlords had good steady tenants who kept paying rent and so the landlord kept current and barely any buildings foreclosed. For coop buyers, you have to jump through so many hoops (personal & professional letters of reference, interviews, etc) - the building KNOWS you will pay. For condo buyers, not as stringent requirements = more declined values and more foreclosures.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:32 AM

Henry1- is your apartment in Manhattan below 96th Street or another part of NYC?

Old 01-13-2011, 11:05 AM

It around lower east side area and it on the subway stop down the street in which i wanted also ..

You people have to understand my way of thinking about this type of info and the reason behind and i did explain that way of thinking to the gentlemen who owned the building and i still got the place for the guy thought i had one big set of brass---- to say that to him when trying to rent a place here in the city

this is the statement i basically said to him

One the IRS is only people needs to know about the amount of money i make and the propler payment to them for taxs that year to them

second is the state of NY or the city or both are the only people needs to know about the money i make and there payment of taxs that year to them

Third is How much money is in my personal bank account info or how much i have in investments or other things are non of your business and it my business and not yours

and if did not like that iam sorry and i take my else where for iam not giveing up that personal info to about my personal financial info past the credit check that was need to rent the place

When i bought up that fact to the guy who owned the building how would he feel in i starting to snope around in his personal money areas like how much he really tells the irs about the amount of money he makes each year of the people who rent from him and pay cash to him or how much in gift money he gets every year at Christmas time and do you tell them and how much do you really cook the books about cash payments and he started to chuckle a litttle bit about what i was saying to him ..

his comment to me was i can tell your from Vegas and that when he offered me the apt if i wanted and i told i did and we shoke hands and he got the moneys orders and i got the keys to the place..

the broker was a little freaked out by the comments i had made to the guy and she was like do not do that agained please as we where walking out of the building if we even work togerther again and i was laughing at her about it ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: