Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 06:30 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,681,397 times

Advertisements

This isn't an NYC-exclusive topic, but anyway...

Anyone else have annoying USPS people to deal with? My post office, the one on W. 146th St, contains enough ghetto and incompetence for two whole cities. Ignoring all the signs myself and other neighbors have posted in our lobby, pleading for her to check if we're at home first, our postwoman will leave those orange slips without ever ringing a doorbell.
That forces us to deal with the hellhole on 146th Street. I went there this morning, trying to get there before the line. There's one woman working there, who obviously doesn't want to be there, watching people queue up in two lines and not doing a thing about it until 10 minutes after she should have opened. Then she tells the three of us waiting to pick up packages that she's the only one here and she's going to take care of the twenty or so money order/shipping people instead. I just walked out, knowing I could expect no more of that dump.
Does anyone else around the city deal with this horrendous type of service? As someone who shops online frequently and often has no choice of carrier, it's driving me absolutely insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 09:51 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,655,998 times
Some years ago, I watched as the mail carrier in my building (he was a substitute--the regular guy was on vacation that week) dumped all the building's mail on the lobby floor and walked out. It seems that English wasn't his first language, and he was having a lot of trouble with some of the Eastern European names printed on the mail boxes.

I went to my apartment and called the Post Office to report the incident. The manager I spoke to explained that all he had the authority to do was assign the guy to another route...which I requested. That solved my problem, although I suspect there were people living a few blocks over who probably weren't so thrilled with their mail service.

My recommendation is, and always has been, to report incidents of bad service to your local P.O. (They won't know there's a problem unless someone fills them in!)

Old 10-18-2010, 02:11 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,255,250 times
In my experience, it is about where you live. I recently moved from the "wrong" side to the "good" side of the same neighborhood with the same post office and the delivery experience is completely different. At my old address, the carrier would do exactly what the pp mentioned - tons of us worked from home and we would still get those stupid little slips. Now, 99% of the time, my packages are brought to my door.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:32 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Ever go to the post office on W 125th street? holy moly, they make no attempt to deliver packages, or receive them when you come in.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:55 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,399,110 times
Fred...that behavior, and the subsequent response of "all I can do is reroute him" is why the Post Office is notorious for bad service. I mean come on...if you did that at any employer that is not the gov't/unionized, you would be fired, or at the very least put on probation/suspended/reprimanded.

And what I learned from your story of "call and complain" is that the problem isn't solved, it is just pushed on to other helpless people who are now stuck with this brain-dead postal carrier. My uncle works for the post office for 23 years I believe, and the stories he tells us about the drunken parties (year round..not just holidays), pilfering of mail, sleeping, not showing up/having others clock you in, etc would make your head spin. And he knows as well as anyone else that "management" can't do anything about it (of any substance that is).

Old 10-18-2010, 03:36 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,681,397 times
I put up another sign this morning mentioning that a lot of people in our building are disabled (which is true) and can't keep making trips to the local post office to pick stuff up...I know it'll go ignored so tomorrow I'm going to call. Although it'll just push the problem on someone else, maybe they'll call, and then the next person will, and eh...maybe they'll decide this particular carrier isn't helping. [/wishful thinking]

Old 10-18-2010, 04:20 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,868,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
This isn't an NYC-exclusive topic, but anyway...

Anyone else have annoying USPS people to deal with? My post office, the one on W. 146th St, contains enough ghetto and incompetence for two whole cities.
Does anyone else around the city deal with this horrendous type of service? As someone who shops online frequently and often has no choice of carrier, it's driving me absolutely insane.
As soon as I saw the title of this thread I started wondering if you were referring to the one on W. 146th St.

I have been going to that post office since I was teen, and my family still lives in the area, so my cousins and I have to go there for my Great Aunt, because like you stated they just leave the slip, even though they know my Aunt is elderly and is home most of the time.

This problem has been going on for years.

But I do know the Post Master there, and she has tried many times, to get more staff assigned. I've stood on line on Saturdays and people were calling, and calling the general number and complaining while on line.

But people have been complaining formally for years even before cell phones were common. It is not the carriers fault alone, the system used at that post office doesn't work, plus the person that delivers the packages is not the carrier that delivers the mail, it is a person in a truck, and they just leave the slip. The carrier will usually deliver the certified mail, especially if you call and request the redelivery. The carrier for my Aunt told me she expects the problem to get worse, because more housing is being developed in the area, and more people are moving in.

The neighborhood does make a difference. My post office on W. 112th will deliver packages, but it is a slow long wait if you go in person. Downtown in the financial district where I work, it goes pretty fast, the post office is larger, and there more windows open for service. Just don't go at lunch time.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:49 PM

15,608 posts, read 15,734,667 times
Yes! Diferent problems for me, but problems nonetheless. I'm a big believer in written complaints, with carbons to appropriate people at the main Farley office.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:01 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,655,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Fred...that behavior, and the subsequent response of "all I can do is reroute him" is why the Post Office is notorious for bad service. I mean come on...if you did that at any employer that is not the gov't/unionized, you would be fired, or at the very least put on probation/suspended/reprimanded.
Here's the problem: a union isn't supposed to get a lazy or irresponsible worker off the hook. A union is supposed to make sure that whatever discipline handed out is consistent with the signed contract. However, in spite of your valiant attempt, this isn't really a pro union vs. anti union thread.

If you were trying to get me to stand up for the postal worker who dumped his mail on the floor of my building and walked out, you didn't succeed. I, personally, believe in discipline when it is necessary. (In that particular case, a week off without pay might have caused the mail carrier to think about such things as his employment status).

Old 10-19-2010, 10:49 AM

316 posts, read 990,952 times
If you enjoy waiting on line while watching the "employees" avoid work and eye contact, I suggest you go to the downtown Brooklyn PO.

Years ago I went to the PO on 30th st. just east of Broadway and there was noone behind the counter. In the middle of the day. After waiting a few minutes, I yelled 'hello, there are customers out here! Put the donut down, and get out here!' An 'employee' then came out and gave me sh*t that they we're having an 'important meeting'. Nice.

Last edited by boan; 10-19-2010 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: i kant spel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City