Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 05:53 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,412,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDrop149 View Post
I think it would be silly to say that it hasn't changed since the 90's for the better....

Http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...rooklyn&st=cse

However I see your point.... I was just saying that brownsville is not the hopeless hellhole that people make it out to be....brownsville has nice blocks too...and although the crime rate appears high, it isn't the desolate warzone that it was 20 years ago. Nycha housing alone doesn't intimidate me and hasn't stopped growth in other parts of the city like the Bronx and east Harlem. If there was a mall or decent retail on pitkin ave that would make the area more appealing and also give jobs to people in the area. I don't even live there( however I creep on dumont ave on many late nights) and I just don't think its as bad as people make it out to be.... i'd live there before is live in other parts of the city like coney island, wakefield, Jamaica or far rock. Just my 2 cents.....

actually pitkin in brownsville has plenty of retail and gives plenty of jobs to people in the area or people in brooklyn overall.

now for east ne york pitkin changes and looks very beat up. The smalll retail section of liberty avenue all the way at city-line is not enough for that huge area with that small strip.

btw dont be fooled. Overall most people in this country no matter where you are will make their city feel like war zones just like the Baltimore goof who invaded the nyc 2011 thread making Baltimore seem like its cuidad juaerez.

i think as of 2011 most places in the u.s arent as bad as people make them out to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 07:07 AM

82 posts, read 175,693 times
East New York is my top choice.
Queens I would say south side Jamaica.
I dont know **** about the Bronx. Have no reason to go over there since my grandmother passed away.
She used to live right below the sedgwick projects. It's an ok area. I wouldn't live there though.
Can't say much for Manhattan either. If I say Harlem I will probably get attacked.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:04 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
I definitely agree with what nyc jowww said and that goes to the point of the entire country getting better... that being said Brownsville has kept pace as being one of the worst hoods in the country and I generally consider Brownsville/East NY to go together being that I used to live there and when I did, there was no distinction between the two...

It really never ceases to amaze me though, the articles that are published to make an area seem so much better than it really is in NYC... If the worst parts of Detroit were in Brooklyn I would be in utter shock if they didn't post an article about how good it was getting because one person is a hard-working home owner in the neighborhood... At the point about how those Nehemiah houses have grown in value... the reality is that no they havent. They were purchased in the 80s for 63,000 and after you factor in cost of living in NYC the truth is that they have not grown in value whatsoever... Look at what was considered working middle class in NYC in the 80s and look at what is considered working middle class in today's times and you'll see how much those homes have really appreciated in value...

These news articles post these silly numbers to try and confuse the public and make even the most horrible of neighborhoods seem appealing... the reality though is much different...

Old 02-11-2011, 04:55 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,770,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
cambria heights does not have a high rate of crime.
That depends on your audience. Residents of Nassau county feel that SE Queens has devolved into a crime ridden ghetto. The last hold out is the Howard Beach area. Mind you I don't agree. I like some parts of SE Queens.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:21 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Can't believe no one has mentioned Fordham-Bedford.

Anyways I'd probably say:

South Bronx/North East Brooklyn/Harlem for crime.

Morris/University Heights, Fordham, Fordham-Bedford, Washington Heights, and Inwood for drugs.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDrop149 View Post
I think it would be silly to say that it hasn't changed since the 90's for the better....

Http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...rooklyn&st=cse

However I see your point.... I was just saying that brownsville is not the hopeless hellhole that people make it out to be....brownsville has nice blocks too...and although the crime rate appears high, it isn't the desolate warzone that it was 20 years ago. Nycha housing alone doesn't intimidate me and hasn't stopped growth in other parts of the city like the Bronx and east Harlem. If there was a mall or decent retail on pitkin ave that would make the area more appealing and also give jobs to people in the area. I don't even live there( however I creep on dumont ave on many late nights) and I just don't think its as bad as people make it out to be.... i'd live there before is live in other parts of the city like coney island, wakefield, Jamaica or far rock. Just my 2 cents.....
Brownsville was not always the h^^lhole it is today. My father grew up there during the 40's and early 50's. Despite being in a gang himself, the neighborhood was safe and neighbors looked out for one another. It's sad that this is its legacy.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
That depends on your audience. Residents of Nassau county feel that SE Queens has devolved into a crime ridden ghetto. The last hold out is the Howard Beach area. Mind you I don't agree. I like some parts of SE Queens.
that would be arrogant because cambria heights gets less murders then pretty most of the white neighborhoods in south brooklyn.

Also nassau county has ghettos that are a bit worse then cambria heights.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Brownsville was not always the h^^lhole it is today. My father grew up there during the 40's and early 50's. Despite being in a gang himself, the neighborhood was safe and neighbors looked out for one another. It's sad that this is its legacy.
idk because my jewish teacher who is a old m,an now and has been a old man since i was 7 use to tell our class that when he grew up in Brownsville their was a shooting everyday. LITERALLY.

i heard east new york used to be fine but Brownsville was always a ghetto even before the demographic shift.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
that would be arrogant because cambria heights gets less murders then pretty most of the white neighborhoods in south brooklyn.

Also nassau county has ghettos that are a bit worse then cambria heights.
Many Nassau residents agree. Places like Uniondale, South Floral Park, Elmont, Hempstead, Roosevelt, New Cassel, Baldwin and Freeport are seen as horrible, crime ridden ghettos that are as bad or worse than Cambria Heights or any nabe in SE Queens. Read any thread on those towns on the LI forums to confirm my comments.

uniondale

Old 02-11-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
idk because my jewish teacher who is a old m,an now and has been a old man since i was 7 use to tell our class that when he grew up in Brownsville their was a shooting everyday. LITERALLY.

i heard east new york used to be fine but Brownsville was always a ghetto even before the demographic shift.
You might be right. Children do not see the horrors of where they grew up. My father was in a Polish Jewish gang and I highly doubt they got together to meet at temple or hang out at restaurants eating matzo ball soup and pierogies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City