Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 09:43 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,565,715 times

Advertisements

Was there to visit MIL in rehab. I had hardly ever been there before. Interesting. Like Bensonhurst, but less interesting From what I can gather, no longer mainly Italian, now mainly Chinese and Russians. I have read there also hispanics and middle easterners, but I don't particularly recall seeing any. All those big box retailers seems something different from the Brooklyn of my past - I can see why they put them there though. The promenaded from Bay Parkway to Bay Ridge looks nice - we didnt walk on it - high winds, and when we did walk, it was on the Coney Island board walk.

Speaking of which, is the proximity of Coney Island considered a plus for Bath Beach, or a negative?

I saw some new houses with a sign saying $399,000. At first I thought thats not a bad deal for NYC, even this far out and with perhaps not the best schools, but on closer inspection, it turned out to be 399k for a 3 or 4 BR condo, not the whole house. Hmm. I guess new construction is at a premium?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 10:09 AM

650 posts, read 2,518,227 times
I pass through the area a couple times a month. It seems to be a nice and quiet area for the most part.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:19 AM

18,473 posts, read 31,648,692 times
I have been living in Bath Beach for the last 25 years, it is a sleepy neighborhood, nothing exciting happens here, and that is a good thing. Not everybody wants to live in a hip and trendy neighborhood .
We have tons of stores on 86th Street , and the "D" train at Bay Parkway. Everything is convenient. We have a very diverse group of people living here, more Chinese are buying houses now. Older homes are being knocked down and these ugly "fedders" specials are being replaced, and the new owners install these ugly stainless steel doors that look like they belong in a state prison.... There is no landmarks so anything can be built, making the neighborhood hodge-podge.....No, it is not a pretty neighborhood, it is just OK.

It is very affordable compared to most neighborhoods, because it is the furthest away from Manhattan, 45 minutes by train...but not everyone's life is geared to the city.

The bicycle path along Shore Road has not been touched since before I moved here, just a few trees last summer were planted, but the pavement is all broken up. The path from the Verrazzno has since been done over, but nothing up near us.

I like the neighborhood for its ease to get anywhere, as the Belt Parkway is near, and you can get to the City in 25 minutes by car.

But other than that, it is a regular working class and safe neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City