Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 11:37 AM

80 posts, read 308,623 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to NYC from New Orleans in August and so far think we're going to choose Astoria as our new home.

We're hoping to find a 1 bedroom that is at least decent quality near the Ditmars Blvd stop for 1100-1300. How realistic is this? I've seen posts that indicate this price range but most are a year or two old. We're going to try to go it alone without broker at first - but am willing to use a broker if need be.

I've also been wondering - is the 30th Avenue stop a good one to look for apartments nearby as well?

Lastly - we're both taking the bar exam in late July (i.e. going to be very busy this summer!) and wanted to know how far in advance we should schedule a trip to NYC to go looking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 12:40 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,604,219 times
Why Astoria by chance? It's a weird stew pot of generational immigrants who speak lousy english, and yuppies. I've lived there...off the Ditmars N/Q stop. I wouldn't live there again. Your price range is realistic though.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:45 PM

The main interest in Astoria is the rental prices, safety and proximity to Manhattan. We also both speak several languages (although not Greek or Italian) and enjoy areas with mixed cultures and ethnic foods. I am also interested in living near Flushing and Jackson Heights for the Asian culture and foods.

In the end, we seem to have settled on Astoria since comparable neighborhoods like Bay Ridge in Brooklyn are a long commute and aren't as interesting to young people probably.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:49 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,160,797 times
Hi Jayhawk --

I live in that exact area. Mind if I DM you?

Old 04-10-2011, 12:53 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,604,219 times
Granted it's appealing geographically and pricewise. I just found it too quiet and isolated feeling except for a couple of the main thoroughfares. (Broadway, 30 Ave, a small strip of Ditmars.) YMMV.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:58 PM

I do hear a lot of reports that its quieter towards the Ditmars stop...would the 30th Avenue stop be more appealing as its closer to the nightlife?

Old 04-14-2011, 09:01 PM

19 posts, read 52,973 times
One good source for Astoria apartment hunting is -
The Astoria Real Estate Blog

Old 04-15-2011, 05:58 AM

749 posts, read 2,457,327 times
I recommend looking for apartments off 30th Ave. The amenities such as a New York Sports Club, bars, cafes, mix of ethnic food, liveliness, and housing stock is better than the Ditmars area I believe. For a nice 1 bedroom anywhere in Astoria you will need to spend at least 1400 unless you can find something in a private residence.

You are correct, the ethnic food in Astoria is incomparable - one of the many reasons I will never leave. Here are some suggestions once you move in: Bartolinos, Opa, Watawa, Iji Sushi, Spiced, Yaijai Thai, Sanfords, Peteys Burger, King of Falafel cart, etc.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:39 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,821,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
You are correct, the ethnic food in Astoria is incomparable - one of the many reasons I will never leave. Here are some suggestions once you move in: Bartolinos, Opa, Watawa, Iji Sushi, Spiced, Yaijai Thai, Sanfords, Peteys Burger, King of Falafel cart, etc.
NONE of that is germaine to Astoria, with the possible exception of Opa all can be found elsewhere, and with better quality and/or authenticity.

What is germaine to Astoria is the Euro Cafe culture and coffee. Few places with so much readily availlable GOOD coffee.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:54 PM

202 posts, read 686,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk586 View Post
The main interest in Astoria is the rental prices, safety and proximity to Manhattan. We also both speak several languages (although not Greek or Italian) and enjoy areas with mixed cultures and ethnic foods. I am also interested in living near Flushing and Jackson Heights for the Asian culture and foods.

In the end, we seem to have settled on Astoria since comparable neighborhoods like Bay Ridge in Brooklyn are a long commute and aren't as interesting to young people probably.
Do you speak Spanish? There is a large Latino population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: