Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2011, 07:04 PM

2 posts, read 5,659 times

Advertisements

I'm a 23 year old recent college grad that will be moving from Oklahoma to NYC in July. I am moving for a management internship opportunity that would start in August. I've done, what I consider, quite a bit of research, but I'm still sure that I have no idea what I'm getting myself into, even as I try to plan ahead of time.

My biggest worry is not knowing where to live or how to go about finding a place to live. My internship will take place in the DUMBO district, but my day job would be at the apple store in SOHO (i'll be transferring from my current store). I've saved up a little bit, but my budget is capped for now around $800/month. I know that's not very much being in NYC, but until I have assurance of what income will look like when I get there, that's all I can do.. I should mention that I am okay with living with other people, or renting a room. I'm not trying to find a one bedroom apt or anything, as i realize that is unrealistic. I'm simply looking for a good way to find a nice room to rent in a nice neighborhood. And is it even possible to find/secure something a couple months before I move like I'm trying to do?

I've looked for weeks on craigslist, and even replied to postings, but surely there has to be a better way. I'm just hoping to get some advice on where I might be able to live that would be safe, and not a crazy distance from where I need to go every day, hopefully inside of my budget. Also, what is the best way to find a place, being that I still live in Oklahoma?? Thanks a ton.

Ryan

Last edited by a_young_musician; 04-22-2011 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 07:55 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,164,695 times
Your budget is ok for a small room in a decent neighborhood within commuting distance to DUMBO and Soho. Did you figure in a budget for utilities or does that $800 include utilities?

I suggest that you put away enough money to stay in a reasonably-priced hotel or hostel for 3 nights and spend the first three days looking for a room. You could make appointments a day or so beforehand.

Things happen fast in NY and people are usually not willing to rent out a room to someone they have never met. Most of these transactions are done in person. It's safer for you that way, too, so you'll know what you are getting into.

You should concentrate your search in Brooklyn to make your commute easier. You could try for Fort Greene, Park Slope or Carroll Gardens, though these neighborhoods might be too expensive for you. Cheaper ones that would also be good are Kensington and Ditmas Park.

I know quite a few people who still use craigslist for roommate situations. It seems to have the most available options.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:23 PM

2 posts, read 5,659 times
Thank you for replying so swiftly. After utilities I think I could spend around $850/month. I will probably live oklahoma with 5,000 or so saved up, being able to use that as a nest egg for deposits/misc. That sounds like great advice to stay in a hostel/hotel for a few days. Are there any recommended options for that kind of situation? And how much might that cost/night for an average/fairly priced hotel or hostel?

As far as looking in brooklyn, are there any areas that I should avoid looking into? I will definitely look into Fort Greene, Park Slope & Carroll Gardens, although the way it sounds, my efforts may be futile for looking this early. Thanks again for all the help!

Ryan

Old 04-23-2011, 01:29 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,079,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_young_musician View Post
Thank you for replying so swiftly. After utilities I think I could spend around $850/month. I will probably live oklahoma with 5,000 or so saved up, being able to use that as a nest egg for deposits/misc. That sounds like great advice to stay in a hostel/hotel for a few days. Are there any recommended options for that kind of situation? And how much might that cost/night for an average/fairly priced hotel or hostel?

As far as looking in brooklyn, are there any areas that I should avoid looking into? I will definitely look into Fort Greene, Park Slope & Carroll Gardens, although the way it sounds, my efforts may be futile for looking this early. Thanks again for all the help!

Ryan
The areas you most likely you wont look into is the niegborhoods east of prospect park, north of prospect park and south prospect park these niegborhoods are very ethnic and crime tends to happen and people also tend to be clannish, however those niegborhoods are cheaper and probably might meet your budget in renting in apartment instead of living in Fort Greene, Park Slope, Williamsburg, Carroll Gardens with a room mate. Also check out Bushwick and red hook.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:09 PM

2 posts, read 4,087 times
Hi , This is Shayan . I'm a musician and looking for rent a room and live with my band mate together .
there are two issues that I want to mention . 1 . Our bugged is 900 $ and it's difficult to find a room or sublet and live together . 2. I could find a place in Bushwick and it's good but I'm thinking about the crime and the felons there . the question is that .. is it safe or not .

wish the best
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: