Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 08:09 PM

346 posts, read 1,257,045 times

Advertisements

Well, as an under 30 myself, I imagine most of that volume is upstate where there's pretty much no jobs, especially around the the Buffalo area.

As for NYC, I'm presently in college. The starting wage in my prospective field is ~$40-50K, with higher ups hitting $100K plus. The wages drop off in other parts of the country, but the cost of living drops dramatically. I would want to live in NYC for my career, however I honestly think that even if I land a job when I exit college in a year, I still wouldn't make enough salary in order to rent an apartment by myself at current prices. Even worse, the cost of real estate in the city pretty much guarantees that it would be very difficult to own property in the city.

Meanwhile I could just move out to some other city, earn similar wages, and have my cost of living fall dramatically.

If it were fully my choice, I would stay in NYC, but I'm being priced out and I'm sure most people in my generation will be as well. I'm sure somewhere like Austin, Tx or Seattle, Wa would welcome us with open arms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 07:53 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,248,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Sure, Sycracuse and Binghamton are cheaper but who wants to live there?
Upstate is nice. If they ever implement high speed rail a bunch of people will move there. It's a jobs issue. All the jobs are down here. Upstate relies heavily on Government as a job source and Government is in layoff mode.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:39 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Upstate is nice. If they ever implement high speed rail a bunch of people will move there. It's a jobs issue. All the jobs are down here. Upstate relies heavily on Government as a job source and Government is in layoff mode.

I used to upstate in Binghamton. Its great but quite boring at times. in fact, one of the major complaints for young adults is the lack of activities. Jobs is anohter issue also. My major issue with Upstate NY is what I perceived as institutionalized racism. Im not saying it outs there in the open (it depends) but I experienced it and always felt folks were judging me 24-7.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:37 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,173,344 times
Ha ha ha ha, I rest my case: NY is a ratrace and overrated with urban ills. The scene sucks comparing to that of the 70's when Studio 54 and Max's Kansas City were open even though the city was sicker. Atleast, it had soul back then. Now, it's such a nanny city with nothing but yuppies and migratory transplants, mostly from Cali and Tri-states living there and add some eastern block europeans to the mix. If I had my pick, I'd head to Miami or Arizona.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:35 PM

337 posts, read 969,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
Ha ha ha ha, I rest my case: NY is a ratrace and overrated with urban ills. The scene sucks comparing to that of the 70's when Studio 54 and Max's Kansas City were open even though the city was sicker. Atleast, it had soul back then. Now, it's such a nanny city with nothing but yuppies and migratory transplants, mostly from Cali and Tri-states living there and add some eastern block europeans to the mix. If I had my pick, I'd head to Miami or Arizona.

So very true!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-19-2011, 07:30 PM

28 posts, read 73,455 times
New York, by and large, has ran its course for me. I'm under 30 myself, a gay male, and black. It's been more of a temporary, transitional place than my "home." And I've always felt that way. I've rented my room in Brooklyn for 5 years and I've kept it pretty much the same since I moved in with no major furniture purchases, no plans to lease an apt, etc. Nothing every really "tipped" to make me feel like there's nowhere else I'd rather be. I've never felt fully invested in this city's culture, its attitudes or the romantic relationships I've had here (not enough to settle down, anyway). The gay nightlife and gay scene in NY is pretty much dead. Big cavernous dance clubs don't exist here anymore and haven't since the Roxy back in '07 (and even that club was a mere shadow of legends like the Paradise Garage or Club USA). There's very little edge in New York gay culture anymore -- maybe it's a by-product of the mainstreaming of the gay community? Most twenty-something gay men who are in the NY scene in 2011 are "weekend warrior" types, who do a quick Friday/Saturday fun-cram before it's back to the grind 5 out of 7 days-a-week (and it spills over into SO much of the experience here when you're in your twenties). I spend more time preoccupied with grinding and paying bills than actually creating and taking in this city. The experience here for post-college kids is much more calculated, low-risk and a lot more scrupulous. My reality is more like a settled thirty/fourty-something than a nomadic twenty-something!

I'm increasingly angry with myself for staying in NYC as long as I have given all of this. I crave vacations more than being here. I actually made more long-term friends, breakthroughs, and had real, satisfying relationships outside of the U.S. in 1.5 months than 4+ years in New York! I'm planning on moving out of the country this summer, before hopefully transitioning out of NYC for good. Honestly, I find the music and art scene in other cities in (and out[!] of) the U.S. much more innovative and exciting; and I'm at the penultimate tip of fully embodying the stereotype of the "bitter, jaded, cynical" New Yorker...ha, I think it's too late! New York inherently turns most "successful" people I've known into cold, Type A Darwinistic ***holes.

Being a "GRIND-zilla" is not virtuous for me -- oneupmanship, competing for "that piece of cheese," be it work, housing or opportunities while keeping a shovel in your shoe for whatever-next-best-thing, and foregoing so much quality of life in the process, isn't a healthy existence for me. It was tolerable for a few years when this city was newer for me, but the many so-called amenities that make NY "worth it" just really aren't that rewarding given the whole picture. And being a creative person here requires you to be a very competitive, scrupulous and monied individual to even stay above water here let alone build something from heart. With today's culture in NY, it's more about "attaching yourself onto cool" and consuming culture than inherently BEING a unique individual and letting whatever else rise from that -- I've never seen the grimey, highly individualistic, cheap yet higher crime & bankrupt New York pre-2003, so my only knowledge of New York these days is of a "safe" mecca tailored to tourists and homogenized posh folk. I find it sad that I'd rather trade positions with a tourist than be a local. I'm looking to get out before this city squanders whatever else is left of my enthusiasm and imagination.

Last edited by stcml; 06-19-2011 at 08:43 PM..

Old 06-20-2011, 12:02 AM

125 posts, read 333,812 times
If you can afford to live here comfortably, all the power to ya! But the NYC area will remain expensive and only get more expensive because all the state wants is for the population to progress (socially/economically) and stay relatively balanced. The NYC area isn't looking for growth.
The major cities in the rest of NYS come off as "depressed", the housing values are dirt cheap, but the % property taxes they factor in is huge. More and more people these days are finding the warmer weather in booming economies, growth up there will take a miracle. At least they have a steady job market at the moment.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:25 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
stcml..there is a big world out there..and NYC is definitely not for everyone. Go out there and enjoy your life...so that there is more room for those who want to be here and are craving the things you no longer want/need/like/see.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:30 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,443,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
This can't bode well for New York state: A new poll shows that more than a third of residents under 30 want to move away within five years, notes DNAinfo. The big reasons: Jobs, taxes, and the cost of living. The percentage of wannabe bag-packers drops from 36% to 24% for those living specifically in New York City, notes the Gothamist blog. A hefty 77% of the 941 poll respondents of all ages consider the state expensive for an average family.

1 in 3 Young New Yorkers Want to Leave State - Those under 30 say it's too expensive
i can probalby show you the same thing for southern Utah where i grew up and how many people are leaveing the area because of wanting something else in life other than home family & church in there life after college or high school ..

the city is going to be one of those place where the people come to at all ages groups to live and have there socalled big city lifestyle once in there life ..

Old 06-20-2011, 03:17 PM

87 posts, read 204,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stcml View Post
New York, by and large, has ran its course for me. I'm under 30 myself, a gay male, and black. It's been more of a temporary, transitional place than my "home." And I've always felt that way. I've rented my room in Brooklyn for 5 years and I've kept it pretty much the same since I moved in with no major furniture purchases, no plans to lease an apt, etc. Nothing every really "tipped" to make me feel like there's nowhere else I'd rather be. I've never felt fully invested in this city's culture, its attitudes or the romantic relationships I've had here (not enough to settle down, anyway). The gay nightlife and gay scene in NY is pretty much dead. Big cavernous dance clubs don't exist here anymore and haven't since the Roxy back in '07 (and even that club was a mere shadow of legends like the Paradise Garage or Club USA). There's very little edge in New York gay culture anymore -- maybe it's a by-product of the mainstreaming of the gay community? Most twenty-something gay men who are in the NY scene in 2011 are "weekend warrior" types, who do a quick Friday/Saturday fun-cram before it's back to the grind 5 out of 7 days-a-week (and it spills over into SO much of the experience here when you're in your twenties). I spend more time preoccupied with grinding and paying bills than actually creating and taking in this city. The experience here for post-college kids is much more calculated, low-risk and a lot more scrupulous. My reality is more like a settled thirty/fourty-something than a nomadic twenty-something!

I'm increasingly angry with myself for staying in NYC as long as I have given all of this. I crave vacations more than being here. I actually made more long-term friends, breakthroughs, and had real, satisfying relationships outside of the U.S. in 1.5 months than 4+ years in New York! I'm planning on moving out of the country this summer, before hopefully transitioning out of NYC for good. Honestly, I find the music and art scene in other cities in (and out[!] of) the U.S. much more innovative and exciting; and I'm at the penultimate tip of fully embodying the stereotype of the "bitter, jaded, cynical" New Yorker...ha, I think it's too late! New York inherently turns most "successful" people I've known into cold, Type A Darwinistic ***holes.

Being a "GRIND-zilla" is not virtuous for me -- oneupmanship, competing for "that piece of cheese," be it work, housing or opportunities while keeping a shovel in your shoe for whatever-next-best-thing, and foregoing so much quality of life in the process, isn't a healthy existence for me. It was tolerable for a few years when this city was newer for me, but the many so-called amenities that make NY "worth it" just really aren't that rewarding given the whole picture. And being a creative person here requires you to be a very competitive, scrupulous and monied individual to even stay above water here let alone build something from heart. With today's culture in NY, it's more about "attaching yourself onto cool" and consuming culture than inherently BEING a unique individual and letting whatever else rise from that -- I've never seen the grimey, highly individualistic, cheap yet higher crime & bankrupt New York pre-2003, so my only knowledge of New York these days is of a "safe" mecca tailored to tourists and homogenized posh folk. I find it sad that I'd rather trade positions with a tourist than be a local. I'm looking to get out before this city squanders whatever else is left of my enthusiasm and imagination.
Very good observations! Especially "oneupmanship, competing for "that piece of cheese," be it work, housing or opportunities while keeping a shovel in your shoe for whatever-next-best-thing"

I have to laugh at all of these people....all of these shallow idiots who just HAVE to live here NO MATTER WHAT!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City