Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2011, 11:42 AM

3 posts, read 5,513 times

Advertisements

I know this question is been asked alot on here but i have a lto of questions. Im going to be moving to New York in a few weeks. I was offered a job at mount sinai hospital in teh library. Im exciterd but alittle nervous cause im coming from a small town in Mississippi. Ive found some where to live temporaily, a furnished studio in the west side neighborhood. What im scared of is just how easy is it to live in New York. The town im from has 48,000 people and is pretty small. I just would like some advice on how to stay safe, navigate the city and how to talk to people in the city. Im really scared coming here from a small town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 01:32 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,684,170 times
I'm not sure that I have anything useful to say, but I'll post a reply since you had no others.

Since you've been incredibly lucky in already finding a job, don't borrow trouble by worrying unnecessarily. NYC is actually a much friendlier place than people realize. Strangers make casual pleasant remarks to you, people help you up if you trip, and we're used to being asked for directions. Maybe when you start your job you can suggest lunching with your co-workers, one by one, using the excuse of wanting to get to know the lay of the land - and in that way you'll get a feel for whether you want to develop a friendship with any of them. Maybe you'll join one or two casual clubs, like a book club, or a meet-up group. Treat yourself to subscriptions of New York and Time Out.

You'll learn to navigate by immediately picking up free bus and subway maps, plus a few of the guidebooks for NYC, which will give you some ideas about where you'd like to explore on weekends. And you'll stay safe by using your common sense and developing street smarts. Mt. Sinai is far enough north so that the neighborhood used to be considered a little dubious, but your co-workers can bring you up to date on that.

Good luck, and welcome to NYC.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:29 PM

939 posts, read 3,386,606 times
Congratulations on the job offer! NYC is overall safe, statistically your safer in NYC then you are in the larger cities in Mississippi. As long as you use common sense, and don't look for trouble, trouble usually won't find you. However, NYC isn't for everyone. If you never been here and if you can afford it I highly suggest you vacation here for a week before you commit yourself to the job. Use the time to research what neighborhoods you like that are safe but still within your budget.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:44 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,980 times
Congratulations! Just be excited and positive, and you will make the most of your time. Many people from all walks of life move to NYC. It will be different from the life you know, but if you are openminded and ready for a change, just enjoy every moment. The advice given above is great. Since you already have an apartment, and a job, you have 80% of the task of finding your place behind you. In my opinion, since there are so many people in NYC, it's easy to live - the transportation, shopping, etc, is just readily available and makes it easy. Congratulations again!

Old 07-11-2011, 06:48 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Man they just keep em cominh in.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:08 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Man they just keep em cominh in.
??
Do you mean people to NY? I think people like the OP should be welcomed. Obviously out of local candidates and out of towners alike, they were chosen for the open position at Sinai. I am born and raised in NY and I don't mind newcomers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City