Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 08:39 PM

5 posts, read 51,418 times

Advertisements

I am currently a resident of Texas trying to move back to NYC next year. I will be attending a community college for my freshman year this fall in hopes of transferring somewhere in the city with 30 credits.

Which colleges are easy to transfer/get in to (for out of state people)? I prefer it to be in the city but I don't mind Long Island colleges either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 09:04 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,875,360 times
Kingsborough College in Brooklyn.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:44 AM

5 posts, read 51,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
Kingsborough College in Brooklyn.
I'm sorry, I should've been more specific. I am looking to transfer to a 4 year university in Fall 2012.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:08 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,295,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc2011 View Post
I am currently a resident of Texas trying to move back to NYC next year. I will be attending a community college for my freshman year this fall in hopes of transferring somewhere in the city with 30 credits.

Which colleges are easy to transfer/get in to (for out of state people)? I prefer it to be in the city but I don't mind Long Island colleges either.
I’ve posted this before, be careful about moving to New York to go to “any-old” school. Living costs in the city are very, very high. It’s not worth it unless you go to a good program at a good school. Many people move to New York for college (because it’s cool and fun) only to find that they can’t afford to live in the city afterwards because their student loan debt is so high.

When picking a college, worry about the school, not the city. You’re only in the city for a few years, but you’re paying debt for a decade on an education meant to last a lifetime.

There’s plenty of time to live in New York. You just have to be smart about it and plan ahead.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:25 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
I’ve posted this before, be careful about moving to New York to go to “any-old” school. Living costs in the city are very, very high. It’s not worth it unless you go to a good program at a good school. Many people move to New York for college (because it’s cool and fun) only to find that they can’t afford to live in the city afterwards because their student loan debt is so high.

When picking a college, worry about the school, not the city. You’re only in the city for a few years, but you’re paying debt for a decade on an education meant to last a lifetime.

There’s plenty of time to live in New York. You just have to be smart about it and plan ahead.
I agree 100%. Just be aware then when you choose to attend an out of state school, the tuition is going to be much more and the aid you are offered may not be enough. Why don't you attend a university at Texas??? If your parents are super-rich then by all means come to nyc.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:55 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,327 times
School in NYC does not automatically equal a job and future in NYC. Keep this in mind as well.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:16 PM

188 posts, read 920,284 times
With 30 units you would probably be better off with another year of community college before transfering over (saves $) and gives you a little more time to hammer out your education goals.
Unless your options include a prominent nationallly known university, going to college somewhere you see yourself settling isn't completely off base, gives you an opportunity to start some working relationships and internships before entering the workforce, but as mentioned earlier, nothing is guaranteed in this economy *sounds doom music*

Old 07-05-2011, 09:11 PM

346 posts, read 1,256,777 times
A few of the CUNYs, off the top of my head, Kingsborough Community, Brooklyn College, Megar Evers, New York City College of Technology, College of Staten Island.

Megar Evers and College of Staten Island accepts everyone who applies. Of course, the quality of these programs are the direct inverse to their acceptance rate, so there's that as well. Don't expect to set the world on fire with a degree from Brooklyn College.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:23 PM

78 posts, read 376,918 times
pace in lower Manhattan

Old 07-05-2011, 10:28 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,248,798 times
There are plenty of schools in NYC you can transfer or apply as freshman that will accept you as long as you can pay for it. There are ton of schools in city of varying level of education and costs.

You can look those up easily on google through college ranking sites.

Just a warning though, if you are using college as a reason or excuse to come and live in NYC without serious consideration on what you plan to do post-graduation and what major. You may very well be one of the folks that complain online about how you work on crap temp or perm job that pay so little and ***** about how poor you are due to school debt and expensive living cost. Which sometime leads to bitterness and saying NYC sucks. (ie: see the thread about nyc jobs paying 25-40k year?!!! its a trainwreck and foreshadow how it can go wrong) whether you are transplant or native.

Seriously I've seen this happen in real life to some dudes and girls I met, and for some (ones without wealthy parents). It usually doesn't end well unless you are prepared and/or smart with driven focus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: