Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2011, 05:56 AM

3 posts, read 3,734 times

Advertisements

My fellow New Yorkers,

I have a question for you all

I have been reading this forum for a few days now and finally decided to post. This is another 'usual' relocation thread for you but it is unique to me. Please pour in your views.

I'm living in Queens ever since I moved to NY, 6 years ago. I live in Flushing(Yeah, the asian area). When I initially moved here, my friend an asian, was my room mate and she preferred flushing and I have always been ok with it, just not a fan though ;-) . I love the fact that this area is sooooooo safe, even at 2 AM. And the walk to the 7 train is not bad.

Now, my room mate moved out a year ago and I'm stil lliving in Flushing but with my Husband. He works in Hoboken,NJ. I work in Brooklyn(at an office near the Q line). So , as you can see, the commute is horrible for both of us. We want to move closer to manhattan/NJ.

So, here's my question. What neighborhoods will you recommend? I'm thinking of starting my apartment-hunting with astoria and then woodside. An important consideration for me is proximity to train station and SAFE at 1 AM bcause I return from my job late night. If both of these locations don't work then I"ll think about Brooklyn. The thing with Brooklyn is I'm ok with it but my friends tell me " it can be unpredictable". So I let Brooklyn go.

I think Astoria would be a great choice because the Q runs through it and I can just sit on one train all the way to Brooklyn. Also, my husband drives to NJ on some days and takes the train on other days. So Q is conveniently connected to PATH.

What do ya think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 06:10 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,126,671 times

Old 09-28-2011, 08:11 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,278,096 times
I don't think Brooklyn is any more unpredictable (transportation wise) than Queens. I'm assuming that living close to the PATH train stations in Manhattan is out of your price range, since almost all of the stations are in relatively safe areas.

It sounds like you've lived in Queens for awhile and have become very used to it. If you will work in Brooklyn along the Q and your husband works in Hoboken I don't get why you'd want to stay in Queens-- since there seem to be more convenient locations in Brooklyn for the both of you.

Take a look at a subway map. Off the top of my head you might wish to consider living close to the Atlantic Terminal in the north part of Park Slope, Fort Green or Cobble Hill. You'll have access to the Q train there and your husband will be able to take other lines which put him close to the PATH in Manhattan.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:33 AM

Hello guys, I just got back to the forum to check for replies.

Let me answer specifically.

Bronxguyanese: nice smile ;-)

Baarkomatic: Yes, Brooklyn sounds good. "unpredicable" meant safety issues, and this is what a few people told me. Ofcourse, I'm not ruling out Brooklyn but I'm used to Queens and so might just prefer Astoria(provided I find good rentals) over any neighborhood in Brooklyn. PATH stations in manhattan are out oif our price range. I will take a look at PArk slope, Fort Green or Cobble Hill. By any chance, are these neigborhoods diverse? Because I would not want to go to a neigborhood of predominantly one enthnic group. And Also my other concern is apartments, I need to find renmtal apartments which are easier to find in Queens than in Brooklyn.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:30 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,278,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshlook View Post
Hello guys, I just got back to the forum to check for replies.

Let me answer specifically.

Bronxguyanese: nice smile ;-)

Baarkomatic: Yes, Brooklyn sounds good. "unpredicable" meant safety issues, and this is what a few people told me. Ofcourse, I'm not ruling out Brooklyn but I'm used to Queens and so might just prefer Astoria(provided I find good rentals) over any neighborhood in Brooklyn. PATH stations in manhattan are out oif our price range. I will take a look at PArk slope, Fort Green or Cobble Hill. By any chance, are these neigborhoods diverse? Because I would not want to go to a neigborhood of predominantly one enthnic group. And Also my other concern is apartments, I need to find renmtal apartments which are easier to find in Queens than in Brooklyn.
I lived in Fort Green and Park Slope for years before moving to Manhattan and I never had any safety issues there. The area is diverse and becoming much more gentrified. It has moved on beyond the young, college-aged hipster crowd to the slightly older, hipster parents with children crowd. If you are looking at more transitional areas like Crown Heights then you may begin to encounter some perceived safety issues at times. Perhaps what you should do is visit the website of the local police precinct of the neighborhoods you are considering. They keep crime statistics there.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:42 AM

Thanks again Barkomatic. I have heard that crown heights is not safe at all, so I would not want to consider it. I thought Fort greene and park slope would be the hipster college crowd and so wanted to avoid it lol. I"ll put it on my list.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:36 AM

340 posts, read 1,188,020 times
Why not just move to Manhattan to make it easier for both of u? Or is Manhattan out of ur price range? Its not like Astoria or any other Transplant area is much cheaper.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:13 AM

25,432 posts, read 37,251,955 times
Do New Jersey and both save the City Income tax and hubby saves the State income tax differential between NY and NJ.
It might pay a decent chunk of your rent. Sales tax in Jersey City is 3.5%...more savings.

For hubby the commuting advantage is obvious and for you, if you stay atop the PATH train (Newport, Downtown JC, Southern Hoboken) a very quick ride to the WTC or maybe better, to Herald Square and then however you want to transfer to the Q gets you to work (Astoria??) No worse than you have now.

Waterfront living in either Jersey City or Hoboken is quite nice.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:57 AM

43,916 posts, read 44,695,675 times
In Queens, I suggest Astoria or Rego Park. In Brooklyn, I suggest Park Slope.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:37 PM

241 posts, read 593,256 times
I say go check out Hoboken or NJ waterfront (along the path). Rent is cheaper than Manhattan (heck, everything is cheaper in NJ) and it'd be easier commute for your husband. It'd probably be no worse than what you got now to commute to Brooklyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City