Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 06:25 PM

84 posts, read 249,851 times

Advertisements

I have been living in the same apartment in 168th street and Clay Avenue for the last four year before that I lived just up the block on 169th and Teller. My mother hates the current situation, Clay is pretty bad and the apartment building is filthy, their hasn't been gas in the building for two months, their are rats in the entrance of the building. And well the Superintendent is terrible though I don't blame him he does have to superintend 5 other buildings. Anyway my mother wants to move back to where she first lived in Inwood. We wanna find an apartment near the BX12 so I can easily commute to school. So how are the following streets Sherman, Post, Nagle, Vermylea, Academy, Broadway? My dentist is near and by day it looks decent better then where I'm at. Looks mostly hispanic with a few white people. If you have any suggestions feel free to post them. We currently pay about 1200 dollars rent which is ridiculous. My mom lives off her SS check and dad is a taxi driver so our income isn't terribly high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 06:35 PM

395 posts, read 1,214,111 times
Being a real estate agent, I can comment on the prices of Inwood. If you believe $1200 is ridiculous now, you are in for a shock. Inwood one bedrooms are right around that price range now, around $1150+, and two bedrooms are asking $1500+.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:50 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Seaman, Post, and Indian Road are all west of Broadway, which is very different from areas to the east. The buildings are better maintained, and the area is much quieter than some of the crowded blocks to the east. However, this area will also be among the higher priced areas of Inwood.

Do you currently take the Bx12 to school? If so, and you don't mind a short ride and transfer at 207th, I would recommend also considering Kingsbridge areas west of Broadway in The Bronx, above W231st. The 7 bus traverses this route, on 231st and Broadway, so it might not be a bad compromise as the rents would be a bit less in Kingsbridge, and like Inwood west of Broadway the area is stable and has many homeowners who care about the neighborhood.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-11-2011, 10:25 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Go for a housing lottery and move to Manhattan, the GOOD part.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:13 PM

337 posts, read 968,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Fernandez View Post
I have been living in the same apartment in 168th street and Clay Avenue for the last four year before that I lived just up the block on 169th and Teller. My mother hates the current situation, Clay is pretty bad and the apartment building is filthy, their hasn't been gas in the building for two months, their are rats in the entrance of the building. And well the Superintendent is terrible though I don't blame him he does have to superintend 5 other buildings. Anyway my mother wants to move back to where she first lived in Inwood. We wanna find an apartment near the BX12 so I can easily commute to school. So how are the following streets Sherman, Post, Nagle, Vermylea, Academy, Broadway? My dentist is near and by day it looks decent better then where I'm at. Looks mostly hispanic with a few white people. If you have any suggestions feel free to post them. We currently pay about 1200 dollars rent which is ridiculous. My mom lives off her SS check and dad is a taxi driver so our income isn't terribly high.
I know that area of Clay is hardcore bx. They want us out of Inwood. That being said there are Dominican supers in a lot of those buildings. More often than not they will take care of their own.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:28 PM

93 posts, read 246,872 times
The supers will bring in the Trinitarios and when they pull out a machete and signal 227, you are going to wish you were riddled with bullets instead. I've seen those guys butcher a few Kings over on East Tremont. I've got connections.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:16 AM

730 posts, read 2,053,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Fernandez View Post
How about trying out Pelham Parkway (which is right along the Bx12 route) or Bedford Park (which is a 10 minute walk north from the Bx12, not to mention the Bx10 to the (1) line could be an alternative if you're heading to Manhattan).

Old 08-27-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el77 View Post
I know that area of Clay is hardcore bx. They want us out of Inwood. That being said there are Dominican supers in a lot of those buildings. More often than not they will take care of their own.
Really its not that bad in terms of crime as it used to be, the first year I live there some dude got shot in a drive-by and I so just happened to be looking out the window when it happened.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huang_Lee View Post
The supers will bring in the Trinitarios and when they pull out a machete and signal 227, you are going to wish you were riddled with bullets instead. I've seen those guys butcher a few Kings over on East Tremont. I've got connections.
The Trinitarios don't scare me, they've been dying out since 2004 anyway. Those give a bad names to Dominicans man. As far as I know Dominicans are one of the more hard working immigrants in the city.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:32 PM

93 posts, read 246,872 times
They're growing in Union City and more in Fordham and South Bronx. They not as active in the Heights anymore cause it started to get hot. I respect the Trinis, just with their existence, they protect their own community from outsiders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City