Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 05:15 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
In case you missed it last week, this plan looks like it may be moving forward and will greatly spur broad investment in these communities. Looks good to me! Won't get started for several years though...still great news though.

New commuter rail line to East Bronx being considered* - New York Daily News
I thought somebody posted it a while back (before last week)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
1) It's always good to have other options but nobody should think that adding a Metro North line is going to perform miracles for any place or increase property values or even spur development.

2) Rest assured that the real reason this is being done is to whisk people from New Rochelle and Connecticut to Penn Station, with occasional Bronx local stops as an after thought,just like the rest of the metro north system.
1) It all depends on the specific circumstances. I doubt it will spur development (most of those areas are already developed anyway)

2) That's pretty much the reason. The side advantage is that people from The Bronx can reach jobs in Westchester and Connecticut (moreso than jobs in Manhattan). For jobs in Manhattan, the subway is a reasonable alternative, but for jobs in the suburbs, you're stuck taking slow buses (often with a transfer) whereas the train brings you right there.

Quote:
I can agree with that...but the question is simple..would you rather have it or not? Having less transportation options guarantees minimal development in NYC...having more transportation sure doesn't hurt. And should your train line go down for some reason..you also have the option of taking the Metro-North....and you'd be glad it was there.

So while it is not a cure for anything, or a miracle worker (nobody was claiming it was), it does HELP and it does make development easier and more attractive, as we have seen in and around the new Metro-North stop at Yankee Stadium, and the Melrose station. Not every station shares in the development, but it is another asset to a community, and assists in redevelopment. So why complain exactly?
Exactly. The only issue would be whether it's actually worth the cost, and who will bear that cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I think it makes parkchester more attractive for instance. I think a lot of people would be willing to pay a little more for the easier commute. A lot of people ultimately don't choose parkchester because its not a quick enough commute. This gives them another option besides the crowded brutal commute on the 6. Overall this is good for bronx, good for business and over time will bump up prop values some. Commuter lines have their biggest impact in areas with homeowners generally. The west/center of the bronx at one time had a much bigger ratio of homeowners...
Parkchester isn't that bad of a commute because it's an express station. You can just take the <6> train 3 stops to 125th Street, and then jump on the (4) or (5) for an express ride further down.

But yeah, more transit options never hurt, especially in a city as dense as NYC.

Quote:
Well it is not the primary option...the Express Buses are...this would be in addition to the Express Buses. Bringing the 6 to Co-Op city would be great! And build the new 2nd ave line straight up the Bronx too.
Not really. A lot of local buses connect Co-Op City to the subway, and are just as much of an option as the express bus. I'm too lazy to look up the ridership figures, but to give you an idea, the BxM7 runs every 5 minutes during rush hour, and the Bx23 (which connects to the (6)/<6>) also runs every 5 minutes during rush hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Good news, I think it's safe to assume a Hunts Point Station at Westchester and Whitlock. Parkchester Station at White Plains Road just south of East Tremont Ave?
The thing is that it would be hard to connect it to the (6) because the Bruckner Expressway is in the way (and if you're trying to connect to the (6), you might as well do it at Hunts Point Avenue because you also have the <6> express)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 12:32 PM

7 posts, read 11,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
Personally, I think it would be better if the 6 train were extended from Pelham Bay Park to Co-Op City. It's next to impossible but I think that would be better.

The Metro-North stations are a nice option to have but it shouldn't be the primary option, in my opinion.
NO, this is a terrible idea. Getting from Pelham Bay to Midtown (59th) street every day takes me at least 45 minutes, adding service to co-op city would slow it down so much on the 6 line.

I think having Metro North there would be great in CO-OP City because there is no train service there. Morris Park's 5 Train does suck since there is always maintenance or weekend schedules but trust me there isn't enough people. The 2/5 line at Bronx Park East is most congested but even that doesn't need a metro line.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:30 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrasero View Post
NO, this is a terrible idea. Getting from Pelham Bay to Midtown (59th) street every day takes me at least 45 minutes, adding service to co-op city would slow it down so much on the 6 line.

I think having Metro North there would be great in CO-OP City because there is no train service there. Morris Park's 5 Train does suck since there is always maintenance or weekend schedules but trust me there isn't enough people. The 2/5 line at Bronx Park East is most congested but even that doesn't need a metro line.
An extended Pelham Bay line wouldn't effect your commute time. More trains would definitely be added. Co-op City would likely be the next uptown stop, likely at Bay Plaza. I would like to see that line extended personally. It would make it easier for Bronxites to get to and from.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:08 PM

579 posts, read 945,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I agree that the area is a bit desolate and that it needs some action. I just don't think a Metro North stop with a train stopping only every hour or so to pick up the 8 or 10 passengers willing to pay 6.00 or more to go to Penn Station is going to create the action that is needed.

There are already Metro North Stops by Yankee Stadium and in Melrose,Tremont,Bedford Park, Norwood/Williamsbridge, Woodlawn,Morris Heights,University Heights,Marble Hill,Spuyten Duyvil,Riverdale and Fordham.They are all pretty desolate for the most part except for the Yankee Stadium stop when there's a game,The Botanical Garden Stop because it brings people to The botanical Garden and Fordham because of Fordham U and because Fordham Road is already an extremely busy area.The rest of the stops are ghost towns almost all the time and have created absolutely no investment or development in the adjoining neighborhoods.

I live close to The Botanical Garden stop and have used it a few times but usually don't bother for all the reasons mentioned in an earlier post.There are probably 50,000 people who live within a 10 minute or so walk of the stop but as far as I can tell virtually none of them use it.People use the subways.Outsiders use it to go to The Botanical Garden but if The Garden weren't there it would be completely and totally deserted.Even with the traffic going to and from the Botanical Garden,Webster Ave just outside the station is almost as desolate as E Tremont near Parkchester.The fact that there is a metro north stop right there does nothing.

The University Heights metro north station is used by about 6,000 people a year . That's an average of 14 people a day coming and going.I suspect a Parkchester or Morris Park Metro north Station wouldn't be that much busier.Even if used by twice as many people you still only have about 25 people a day.....all day.

Now a subway stop in those locations would be a whole different animal.Then you would see some development !

It would also be a game changer if they would sell tickets at stations inside NYC for the same price as a subway fare but that isn't going to happen.
I live near Botanical Garden station and use metro north to get to work because it is on time, I always get a seat, and it is faster. Even though trains run every hour, if you are in a hurry, you can take the train to Fordham every half hour and if you have a monthly ticket, you can grab the New haven train which also stops at Fordham. (This is technically wysiwyg the rules because you are not supposed to exit at fordham from the Stamford train.). Also, the monthly pass decreases the cost significantly.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:46 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times
those who work at Montefiore Medical Park would be well served by the Morris Park stop (if it is at the MdD's on Williamsbridge Rd)

Old 05-25-2013, 05:23 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,104 times
I think it's great if gets done. I notice the express busses that service the Neck and East Bronx areas seemed to be crowded. A lot of people just don't want to deal with the Iron Horse. At the end of the day more options is a good thing for those communities.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:21 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
I think the main benefit of this is that those riding commuter railroads will eventually be able to go to either Grand Central or Penn Station on either Metro North or the LIRR. Overall it doesn't do too much for the Bronx. Doesn't hurt ,and if you do decide to take Metro North you now have West Side access (which is already supplied by the 2 and the D, just slower).

Old 05-26-2013, 01:42 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,546,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I think the main benefit of this is that those riding commuter railroads will eventually be able to go to either Grand Central or Penn Station on either Metro North or the LIRR. Overall it doesn't do too much for the Bronx. Doesn't hurt ,and if you do decide to take Metro North you now have West Side access (which is already supplied by the 2 and the D, just slower).

I completely agree. Whoever works in Westchester, usually drives to work. The Bronx gov't is particularly weak and corrupt. The Big shots in Westchester call the shots. This is a boon for Westchester Real estate. This will just destroy whatever positives the Bronx has and not improve those areas in the Bronx affected by this.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:04 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
I completely agree. Whoever works in Westchester, usually drives to work. The Bronx gov't is particularly weak and corrupt. The Big shots in Westchester call the shots. This is a boon for Westchester Real estate. This will just destroy whatever positives the Bronx has and not improve those areas in the Bronx affected by this.
I don't think it destroys what positives the Bronx has. It just does nothing for them. Okay, if you're going to take Metro North to Grand Central, or in the future Penn Station, I hope you're going to a midtown destination or getting off in Harlem. Why? Otherwise, you still have to transfer to the subway!! Keep in mind its not like the Metro North is running every 10 minutes, and its considerable more expensive,

With that said, it does help those who do use Metro North, so I do hope its done. Ir just gives a lot more benefit to those in Westchester than it does Bronx residents.

What would benefit the Bronx is increased corporate investment, particularly in the South Bronx (where you've got old neglected buildings that can easily be converted to corporate use). But that is already happening. There just needs to be more if it (but that is coming).

Old 05-26-2013, 03:55 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,546,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I don't think it destroys what positives the Bronx has. It just does nothing for them. Okay, if you're going to take Metro North to Grand Central, or in the future Penn Station, I hope you're going to a midtown destination or getting off in Harlem. Why? Otherwise, you still have to transfer to the subway!! Keep in mind its not like the Metro North is running every 10 minutes, and its considerable more expensive,

With that said, it does help those who do use Metro North, so I do hope its done. Ir just gives a lot more benefit to those in Westchester than it does Bronx residents.

What would benefit the Bronx is increased corporate investment, particularly in the South Bronx (where you've got old neglected buildings that can easily be converted to corporate use). But that is already happening. There just needs to be more if it (but that is coming).

Good points
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City