Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2021, 09:31 AM

5 posts, read 2,780 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am a student at Mount Sinai moving to NY next week and I am about to book a place on the 109th between 5th avenue and Madison. I am a girl in my late twenties with reasonable street smarts (I grew up in a big city ). Would it be okay to walk home alone at night? I'd appreciate any insights!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2021, 03:28 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,258,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthippi View Post
Hello,
I am a student at Mount Sinai moving to NY next week and I am about to book a place on the 109th between 5th avenue and Madison. I am a girl in my late twenties with reasonable street smarts (I grew up in a big city ). Would it be okay to walk home alone at night? I'd appreciate any insights!
Apart from any random things (which are unpredictable), you should be fine.

Old 09-19-2021, 03:36 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,605,106 times
Quote:
Hello,
Are you working at Mount Sinai East, west or midtown? If its East, That's only a few blocks walk. Can't be that commute.

Old 09-19-2021, 04:35 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,655,549 times
I'm confused by your mention of Central Park in your title line. Mount Sinai is on the east side, and you would have no need to be in Central Park. Just on Fifth and Madison should be fine, though.

I like your odd choice of handle.

Old 09-19-2021, 05:24 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,605,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Are you working at Mount Sinai East, west or midtown? If its East, That's only a few blocks walk. Can't be that commute.
I meant can't beat* that commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I'm confused by your mention of Central Park in your title line. Mount Sinai is on the east side, and you would have no need to be in Central Park. Just on Fifth and Madison should be fine, though.

I don't see the problem with it. Also she didn't say she is working at that location. She could be working at another location or a combination between them.

Old 09-20-2021, 10:34 PM

Thank you very much for the answers! Is it okay walking home from metro stops (like the 103rd or the 110th ) at night as well ?

Old 09-20-2021, 11:09 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

Mount Sinai hospital campus is on Fifth Avenue across from Central Park. Starts at East 98th and runs up to 102nd between Fifth and Madison.

Old 09-20-2021, 11:16 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Hello,
During day area is rather busy and IIRC Mount Sinai has their own security that patrols area.

Late and over night you might want to stick to Fifth Avenue as there are doormen in those residential apartment buildings along those blocks. Otherwise things can be rather quiet up there on Fifth. Madison is another story at night.

If you're from another big city, you'll be pretty much fine as you know the drill. Keep your wits about you, eyes and ears open, and don't talk to eejits.

Old 09-21-2021, 11:11 AM

Thank you for your answer. How about the metro stations on the 110th? Sometimes I will have to come back home late at night after work by metro and that's my last doubt, cause other than that most people say this area is fine

Old 09-21-2021, 01:08 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,283,172 times
Quote:
Thank you for your answer. How about the metro stations on the 110th? Sometimes I will have to come back home late at night after work by metro and that's my last doubt, cause other than that most people say this area is fine
If you're working at Mount Sinai on 5th or Madison then you don't need to take the subway. You can literally walk the 10 or so blocks. I would walk on 5th though and stay on the side across the park, as there is better lighting and you have doorman buildings for most of the stretch. Madison north of 96th St can be a bit sketchy at night, especially with the housing projects. The other option is to take the City bus. Get on either at 96th and Madison or by Mount Sinai and take one of them that will drop you off by 109th St.

The subway options are not near 5th or Madison and would require some back tracking East. You'd have to walk to 96th and Lex, get the train to 110th and then walk back West, and Lex is pretty sketchy that far North. Wouldn't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: