Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2013, 12:46 PM

43,652 posts, read 44,375,612 times

Advertisements

I live in a rent stabilized building that recently changed owners and has a new management company handling its affairs. I just received a lease renewal (dated Nov. 22) when my lease only expires at the end of next March. I think this is much too early to have to sign a lease renewal. The attached letter only says that if I am not renewing the lease, I must provide the landlord with a notarized letter stating that I am vacating the apt. at the end of and lease and indicate a forwarding address for the return of the security deposit and that information needs to be received 30 days prior to the lease's expiration date. So does that mean that I only have to send the signed lease renewal forms plus the extra security deposit check just a month before the current lease expires? (In the past I needed to do this at least 60 days before the expiration but the lease renewal was sent somewhere between mid-Dec to early January.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 01:07 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,679,941 times
although I wouldn't think you would be under any pressure to send the renewal plus the extra security any earlier than you would have done so in the past, looking at my lease renewals it says you must return the renewal within 60 days from the time the renewal notice was served upon you

i think what would be best would be to contact DCHR (your local rent office) and inquire just how early do you have to actually return the renewal

ive never been served with a notice that early

Old 11-23-2013, 01:13 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
I am a rent stabilized apt, I received my notice really early almost 6 months and it said I had to return it 90 days before my lease expired.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:52 PM

is it possible they do that so if you decide later on(before the lease expires) that you want to move, they already have your deposit which they can then keep?

Old 11-23-2013, 02:30 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
These things can be easily answered via an Internet search or by simply contacting the managing agent directly. If you feel unsure of responses by either then contact your attorney.

RS lease renewals are to be sent no more than 150 days before the lease ends or no less than 90 days. Either way tenant has 60 days to return the forms with any requested additional funds or the landlord *may* refuse to sign/offer a renewal.
Fact Sheet #4: Lease Renewal in Rent Stabilized Apartments

NYC Rent Guidelines Board

As with everything else so much of what landlords do especially large property managers is on computers. For the most part there are programs that will crank out renewals and leases with the required information as opposed to someone typing things in on forms manually. These same programs can and often do monitor apartments telling whomever then leases expire and when renewals must be sent (if required).

Sending a renewal out five months early may seem extreme but from an efficiency point of view if you have several, tens or even more leases all ending within a certain period better to sit down and send out all the notices at once and be done with the project.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:20 PM

229 posts, read 232,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I live in a rent stabilized building that recently changed owners and has a new management company handling its affairs. I just received a lease renewal (dated Nov. 22) when my lease only expires at the end of next March. I think this is much too early to have to sign a lease renewal. The attached letter only says that if I am not renewing the lease, I must provide the landlord with a notarized letter stating that I am vacating the apt. at the end of and lease and indicate a forwarding address for the return of the security deposit and that information needs to be received 30 days prior to the lease's expiration date. So does that mean that I only have to send the signed lease renewal forms plus the extra security deposit check just a month before the current lease expires? (In the past I needed to do this at least 60 days before the expiration but the lease renewal was sent somewhere between mid-Dec to early January.)
Its 90 days...It wasn't too early.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:07 AM

43,652 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11222blue View Post
Its 90 days...It wasn't too early.
90 days for what?

Thanks for all the replies. I thought the lease renewal was only supposed to come 120 days at earliest before the expiration date rather than 150 days (which seems to be too early to have to make such a commitment in general). I remember getting the lease 90 days in advance several years ago and when the former management starting sending it 120 days in advance thinking that 4 months in advance was too early (and I thought I had read and checked then 120 days being the earliest at that time).

Also the letter I received does not mention 60 days to return the lease (which the former management agency's letters always stated). It only mentions 30 days before the lease expiration they need the information (which in reality contradicts the information given when the new management took over that they want 60 days).

Last edited by Chava61; 11-24-2013 at 02:18 AM..

Old 11-24-2013, 07:27 AM

in reality if you don't give a reply by 30 days prior to the expiration they will probably tell you that youre right to continued tenancy will be jeapordized if you don't reply. I can't see them doing that before 60 days. I think the source that can give you the best answer is DHCR or a housing lawyer. theres so much variation in dates that its hard to know what is the actual law and what is just the landlords own internal rules

Old 11-24-2013, 08:05 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
My last landlord would occasionally send out leases and 4 months early and say we have 60 days to decide.

That becomes a problem when you are shopping to buy a place and making a decision and committing to a new rental year or two 60 days ahead of lease expiry becomes onerous.

Thing is, these extra requirement were not included ON the least itself, so we just chose to ignore them. We wound up giving only a couple weeks notice and then reneging, extending our stay for 2 weeks AFTER lease expiry, with permission of course. The landlord, Lefrak, was fine with the whole thing and accommodated us nicely.

I cannot imagine any judge ordering an eviction because a landlord was not given 60, or 90 days advance notice of continuing a lease by signing a renewal notice.

Last edited by Kefir King; 11-24-2013 at 08:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: