Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 08:56 PM

14 posts, read 27,632 times

Advertisements

Hi

I got a job in Flushing and will be moving with my husband ( who will have to look for a job) and my kid. I need a good school district and a residential area. My salary will be around 55 k and I am wondering if that's will be enough to support the 3 of us. Please advice! Also what are my best options to look for an apt, Craigslist or brokers? I don't have savings so trying to be smart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 09:10 PM

477 posts, read 1,407,107 times
A family of 3 on 55k may actually be poverty level. You might be able to rent a studio or small 1 br in queens. If you have money saved you can spend more on rent until husband gets a job and then go from there.

NYC schools aren't that great and the general rule is that the nicer schools are zoned in expensive neighborhoods.

If you are willing to commute, there are better choices in Nassau county where the schools are better.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:52 AM

13 posts, read 31,589 times
thats definitely going to be a stretch for a family of 3. and as for the school systems queens has some schools that are ok but most aren't. take flushing high school. it use to be a good school but now its gone down horribly. it now has students who where thrown out of other schools there as well as the zoned kids. my nephew goes there and said the school is bad.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:07 PM

That's concerning but I don't have many alternatives. Do you have an idea about the cost of utilities? Thanks

Old 04-15-2012, 12:36 AM

11,642 posts, read 12,715,051 times
For schools, assuming elementary, look into schools in District 26 and there are some decent ones in parts of District 25. Investigate Bayside, Douglaston, Floral Park, Bellerose, Auberndale in eastern Queens. Utilties are the least of your problems as heat and water are usually included in the rent. Gas for cooking if not included in the rent is nominal. You'll probably have to pay for electric but it's not terrible in a one bedroom and its the AC that jacks up the cost so you can try to not use it too much. Your big problem is paying for everything else. I can't see how you are going to do it until husband finds a job.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
For schools, assuming elementary, look into schools in District 26 and there are some decent ones in parts of District 25. Investigate Bayside, Douglaston, Floral Park, Bellerose, Auberndale in eastern Queens. Utilties are the least of your problems as heat and water are usually included in the rent. Gas for cooking if not included in the rent is nominal. You'll probably have to pay for electric but it's not terrible in a one bedroom and its the AC that jacks up the cost so you can try to not use it too much. Your big problem is paying for everything else. I can't see how you are going to do it until husband finds a job.
Any idea for budgeting. It will be very helpful for us, thanks!

Old 04-15-2012, 10:53 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,715,051 times
Budgeting? Most of your income is going to go for the rent. See if you can find a landlord willing to rent a one bedroom for 3 people and maybe you can find something in the 1200 range. You will need 1st, last month rent, broker fee if you use one. See if you qualify for any programs like free school lunch. Skip cable and internet. You will be living hand to foot until you get a second job or husband is employed. Another 25K in income you might scrape by. Double your income and you would have some breathing room but not much left over for any frills. Remember, a lot is deducted from that 55K including NYC income tax.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:38 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,815,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
The poster fails to mention every neighborhood listed will be beyond your budget!

There MANY threads discussing "budgets", do your homework and peruse the forum.

To put it simple and frank, NYC is not affordable for a family of 3 with $55K in income. You could ONLY afford the worst apartments in the worst neighborhoods with the worst schools. Worst is defined by high crime and social issues.

Likely, a minimum of $4500 and good credit will be necessary to secure an apartment. Utilities not included in rent are, lights, cooking gas, telephone, cable, and internet.

The move would only make sense, if both of you are already unemployed.

NYC is the hardest of hard cities for those of low income, low education, and low skills.

Even at $75K in income, life would only be marginally better, and still quite tough.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:22 AM

594 posts, read 1,634,905 times
Wow people here really love to rain on people's parades when they come in asking questions like this.

I don't see any reason it shouldn't be do-able temporarily until your husband gets a job. Granted, you're not going to be able to afford many luxuries, but you should at least be able to cover rent, bills, and food for the time being. Even if you get a place for $2000/month which is probably about average rental-wise for a medium-decent neighborhood, that still works out to be roughly 50% of your income which is about normal for New York.

I'm not going to lie to you, it's going to be extremely hard and you'll be very uncomfortable for a while, but it is do-able at least for the meantime while you wait for your husband to get a job. Once you have dual incomes you'll probably just slide right into the median of whatever neighborhood you choose.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:23 AM

I think I made a mistake posting here, judging people to be low education low skills without knowingness. I hope not all nycers are like you jcoltrane!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City