Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2012, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,611 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know, or how can I find out what sort of building if any was located at 305 East 71 St. in Manhattan in the years 1916 -1918?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 09:15 PM

594 posts, read 1,634,648 times
I'm pretty sure most of those types of documents should be in the local library and most of them are a matter of public record so there's probably somebody there who knows where to dig them out and can get them for you or you might have to make a special appointment.

Better yet you could ask your landlord/property management company when the building was built. Going by Google Street Views I'm not really sure, it doesn't look to be that old so there was probably something else there before. It was most likely another residential building.

What has piqued your curiosity about this, if you don't mind my asking?

EDIT: Just found a couple of documents that might help you out, check it: http://www.nyc.gov/html/lpc/download...tSide_Vol1.pdf and http://www.nyc.gov/html/lpc/download...tSide_Vol2.pdf Might have the information you're looking for.

Last edited by RC1981; 04-12-2012 at 09:25 PM..

Old 04-13-2012, 06:55 AM

19,049 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Check this out, it's a catalog of photos of almost every single building in NYC from the 1930's.

NYC Department of Records - Tax Photographs

Now I know this isn't 1918, but the photo may reveal a building that's obviously older than the 1930's. Definitely worth checking out. I also believe on that site you will be able to find tax records for address.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:10 AM

824 posts, read 2,791,917 times
The document RC1981 referenced is a great document, fantastic really, unfortunately the historic district they describe doesn't extend to where 305 is.

The present low-rise apartment building on that spot is now known as 303 E 71st St. The next building is 311 which suggests that there was perhaps more than one building on the site of the present 303 (such as "305").

If the online records don't go back far enough, which appears to be the case here, then it is time for a trip to wherever they keep the records. (Of course, if it's a famous building, a google search of the address might reveal good info.)

First there is the Certificate of Occupancy:

Department of Buildings

In the bottom left under "Buildings Information", fill in the info and submit. On the next page if you click on "View Certificates of Occupancy" you will see it only goes back to 1947, which is the present building, so that doesn't help with what was there in 1918. I've never visited the Dept. of Buildings so I don't know what kind of info they have publicly available at their offices. But from its name it would seem like a good place to start.

The online property records is also a useful website:

ACRIS: Online City Register

Click on "Begin using ARCIS"
Click "Find Addresses and Parcels"
Select Manhattan from the drop down menu
Put 303 0r 305 in the street number box (either search reveals the same documents)
Put E 71 ST in the street name box
Click "Find BBL"
Click "Document Search by BBL"
Click "Search"

ARCIS only goes back to 1966, so again that doesn't really help here. You'd have to visit the City Register to go back further. Now this often won't tell you the type of building, just who owned it, but other documents that have been recorded on the property can give clues to what was there.

Last edited by nyctc7; 04-13-2012 at 08:42 AM..

Old 04-13-2012, 09:13 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Lots and lots of old VERY thorough maps at the Museum of the City of New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City