Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 05:27 PM

9 posts, read 37,416 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I was wondering if there is anyone out there who is in a similiar situation as us. We are a young couple with a six month old son. I am a nurse and my husband is a graduate student. Anyway- we would like to find another couple with child or without but that is really baby friendly to apt hunt together for April 1st or sooner.

We want to live in the UWS- we have some furniture and our budget is around $2000 per month. I think together we could get an amazing place for that price if we combined.
We are pretty relaxed people- like to travel, read, go to movies (all pre baby - now we just hang out and drink lots of coffee)

single mother/father- gay/lesbian parents welcome. baby / child/ children ok

Email me with a little about yourself- I am just exploring the idea now wondering how possible it is to find a family that would be a good match.

I saw some ads for brownstone garden apartments in the 80s on central park- I would really love a little outdoor space- wouldnt you?

Thanks!!!

--Cats Ok
--Dogs Ok
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 07:38 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,371,230 times
Yeah this is CityData, not Craigslist.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:58 PM

Yeah I know- I posted it on craigslist too. Any other places I should try? I thought this might be a good place since so many people check out this great site before moving here-

Thanks.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:42 PM

757 posts, read 3,363,820 times
Would that even be legal? I can't imagine a landlord knowingly allowing two families to share one apartment.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:51 AM

510 posts, read 2,244,023 times
I guess it's not my place to judge but this seems like a really bad idea. Why not look somewhere like Park Slope (a VERY family friendly neighborhood) where a one bedroom can still be had for under $2000?

Old 03-03-2008, 05:52 AM

Default legal?

Why would it not be legal? I am thinking of getting a large space 2-3 bedrooms- more than 1000 sq feet. Now the three of us are living in a 450 sq foot apt- and manage. But I cant see why it wouldnt be legal- if the space is allows.
Now that I think about it my neighbors live three adults and two children- and that apt is smaller than ours.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:20 AM

jeffcon- park slope is a great family neighborhood- but my husband is at Columbia and I work on the west side so the commute would be tough. Plus, it isnt just about saving money- we both like being around other people- my husband is latino so by nature is social and I come from a big family so nothing makes me happier than coming home to a full house-
I have also noticed (on the UWS at least) that for $2000 you can get a really small studio or 1bd room on a noisy or problematic street but once you get past the $3000 range the level of apts increases dramatically. For instance for $3500- $4000 you can get a really decent apt in the best of the UWS that is large (for nyc) enough to fit two small families- in my opinion.
So I was just throwing it out there-
Does anyone have any suggestions on where else I could look for housemates?

Old 03-03-2008, 08:10 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,946,770 times
In a rental it's not legal, as there has to be some documentation of who's living there as a room-mate (ie, contributor to the RENT). In a co-op it's DEFINITELY not legal, as the proprietary lease defines who is to be living in the dwelling. It MIGHT be legal in a condo, but not unless you're on the sublet agreement and I can't see it happening.

Overall I don't see this being easy to do.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:23 AM

Why wouldnt there be documentation? I am not going to get an apt with a landlord who doesnt know who is living there. Is that the only reason why it would be illegal?

Old 03-03-2008, 10:56 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,982 times
I live on west 110th street. This is basically where the upper west side stops and Harlem begins. I pay $1800 (after bills its about $2000) for a one bedroom thats about 800ft2. There are 2 bedroom apartments in my building for 2000/month I think. Lower west Harlem is very convient to the UWS and is much more affordable. I would try looking there b/f I lived with another couple and a baby, unless you just want roomates for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City