Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2012, 05:07 PM

12,924 posts, read 18,765,744 times

Advertisements

If I got a $20,000 job, mine and my partner's total household income X 40 would put us at $1,870/month rent. If I don't work but just live on my pension, we're at $1,370/month rent. Are couples straight or gay, married or not, allowed to rent one-bedrooms? How about large studios? We have a small dog. I would prefer to stay home with him. I'm college educated, so it's not like I couldn't work, but I'm just bottom-lining it. I'll be only 55. He'll be 53. Thanks.

Last edited by Charlestondata; 05-27-2012 at 05:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 07:51 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
If I got a $20,000 job, mine and my partner's total household income X 40 would put us at $1,870/month rent. If I don't work but just live on my pension, we're at $1,370/month rent. Are couples straight or gay, married or not, allowed to rent one-bedrooms? How about large studios? We have a small dog. I would prefer to stay home with him. I'm college educated, so it's not like I couldn't work, but I'm just bottom-lining it. I'll be only 55. He'll be 53. Thanks.
Plenty of couples live in one-bedrooms. In fact, that's the norm. Gay or straight makes no difference.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:14 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
If you are comfortable living a little further out in Queens, you may have more options in terms of size/space/etc. though a slightly longer commute to Manhattan. You have some options in Astoria for a 1BR, but you might have a better pick of apartments in an area like Rego Park, Kew Gardens, Sunnyside, parts of Jackson Heights, and Forest Hills within your proposed budget.

At the higher end, if you held a position to supplement income, you would be in range of a 2BR in good areas of Queens. Another reason to think about some other neighborhoods is the fact that you have a dog in the family, because some buildings may not accept the dog, even if it's a small breed. Right around $1200 is where I would expect to start to see 1BRs and/or Junior 1BRs in Queens, including Astoria and Kew Gardens, for example, so it would be possible to be under the max budget.

You may find more difficulty with a dog than you would financial qualification as a couple. I doubt your dog would be on a breed restriction list, though many buildings and individual landlords do exclude all dogs of particular breeds. Neighborhood flexibility also would allow you to see various apartments in range and select the size/location/amenities that work best for your lifestyle. Some areas are close to parks, which is handy with a dog, etc., but financially Queens should work out just fine.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-28-2012, 06:45 AM

Funny you should say...

I have just started exploring Sunnyside. Judging by google map street view I like the blocks flanking the Q train along Queens Blvd. Can anyone give any input on that area? I realize the closer the train the higher the rent, but within three to four city blocks is good for us as it would be built-in exercise. Our dog is a Cairn terrier - a real sweetheart to everyone he meets. We wouldn't mind finding a little ground floor or basement 1-BR deal with a tiny front yard. We both have green thumbs. But we're open a mid-rise with an elevator.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:24 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
For SUNNYSIDE that's the 7 train along Queens Boulevard (46th St. Stop), no Q train involved, that's ASTORIA.
The SUNNYSIDE area you want to look at is the area between Queens Boulevard and North to SUNNYSIDE GARDENS, maybe 4 VERY LONG blocks, nice neighborhood.
Behind the GARDENS there is a no-man's land of LIRR train tacks...like a MILLION of them.

I went to lots of parties in SUNNYSIDE GARDENS years ago and often barely CRAWLED hback to the subway and never felt unsafe for a minute.

IF you can get into the GARDENS, although most are owner occupied homes, There is a fairly strong gay presence. (Our parties were Gay Mensa Meetings that often spilled out onto the Green.)

The SG are lovely: a large enclave of old red brick completelysurrounding a lovely common green...terrific for small pets (I THINK they ae still alllowed)

Old 05-28-2012, 08:05 AM

The 7 train - cool. Sorry. I was exploring the area you mention. Sounds good. Thank you. I did stumble across the no man's land and turned around. This was all by google map street view. lol

Old 05-30-2012, 08:33 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,233,118 times
Why on earth would any couple not be "permitted" to rent a one-bedroom (or even a studio)? Of course you don't count as one tenant; you're two tenants, and you both will sign the lease (probably, although in theory you could have just one of you sign the lease and pay all of the rent). But a one-bedroom frequently has two tenants in the form of a couple, or sometimes just roommates.

In terms of any income requirements, the aggregate income of everyone whose name is on the lease will be considered.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:58 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Funny you should say...

I have just started exploring Sunnyside. Judging by google map street view I like the blocks flanking the Q train along Queens Blvd. Can anyone give any input on that area? I realize the closer the train the higher the rent, but within three to four city blocks is good for us as it would be built-in exercise. Our dog is a Cairn terrier - a real sweetheart to everyone he meets. We wouldn't mind finding a little ground floor or basement 1-BR deal with a tiny front yard. We both have green thumbs. But we're open a mid-rise with an elevator.
You should have absolutely no problems with breed restrictions and the like with a Cairn terrier. And, in a building that considers pets on a case-by-case basis, I would not foresee any issues, either.

For a ground floor unit, or a basement unit, look to an individual landlord as opposed to management companies. Some brokers will list these apartments, but if you sift through the misleading ads on Craigslist, you may find an apartment like that in Queens.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City