Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2007, 05:03 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,710,827 times

Advertisements

I've been curious about this for quite some time. I decided to post this question here because we have a lot of people here who seem to have wide ranging curiosities and interests.

I lived in Bridgeport, Conn. for school for about 2 years back in the early 80's. Right near the rather then decrepit(huge rats, sharp rocks, trash) shoreline was a huge red and white smokestack. It could be seen from I 95 approaching Bridgeport on I 95 from Fairfield, a few miles away. Everyone seemed to know about the smokestack.

One day I was coming back from Jones beach, driving over the Throgs Neck bridge. It was a spectacularly clear day and i glanced up the shoreline(always curious if Ct could be seen from LI sound in bronx) when i was slowing down to pay the toll in the Bronx. I swear I could see the red and white smokestack in the far distance in Bridgeport but I wasn't sure. In terms of highway miles Bridgeport is about 50 miles from the Throgs Neck bridge. It may be less in terms of shoreline distance.

I also recall driving on the crest of the Whitestone bridge and seeing at least 2 skylines in the distance, the first i estiomated to be either New Rochelle or White Plains, the other I wondered could that be Stamford? That's about a 25-30 mile ride from the Whitestone Br.

Has enyone ever taken the Bridgeport-Pt jefferson Ferry? I recall it was a 13 mile ride that took about 75 minutes. My question--once far enough out into the sound, could the towers of Co-op City be seen in the distance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 05:05 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,710,827 times
My othert question--do you think the structure i saw was the smokestack at Bridgeport, 50 miles away, or would that be impossible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City