Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 09:16 AM

555 posts, read 1,185,118 times

Advertisements

Been on "Wall Street" for 10 years.
Are we here? Yes
Could there be more of us? Yes

Sadly, getting into corporate NY is more about connections, who you know and what group you belong to. Many minorities just do not have the connections to get the corporate opportunity. Don’t get me wrong it is possible, but minorities often have to work 10xs harder to get into and advance in the same direction as white people. At the same time, a black/latin or whatever person who comes from money, has connections and is a part of that "group" will have an easier time then the poor white kid trying to get in. The problem is that is usually not the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 09:22 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,267,080 times
Wall Street is it's own subculture that can be very elitist, and cliqy. But there is still abysmal Black and Latino representation in the broader corporate world. There is much room for improvement. I think education is a great equalizer but the message has not gotten across to Black/Latino communities enough.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:13 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,419,022 times
it doesn't even matter what whites think of everyone
else anymore until they live that life, and most likely
they never will.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:41 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,725,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
it doesn't even matter what whites think of everyone
else anymore until they live that life, and most likely
they never will.
I've lived it. So I according to you it matters what I think

Old 05-22-2013, 08:04 AM

280 posts, read 686,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I don't think its all "blaming "and "not valuing education". I've seen poor parents who are just clueless about various skills needed to succeed academically. Just the same way many adults are clueless about skills required to keep a job and progress in it, including basic things many of us don't even see as being job skills, just common sense. But that's another topic.

They weren't shown those skills when they were young, and they aren't around others who model them. Also, there are many parents in those groups who are just kids themselves - what chances do their children have?
Certain very focussed schools can go some way to addressing this by providing the disadavantaged kids what they need, as long as the parents cooperate. But some of that cluelessness follows the parents when they start complaining about the very rules at the school that are helping their kids get further forward...
Difficult cycle to break.

@bg7

Are there not books or online resources through which they can attain/improve such skills?

Old 05-22-2013, 08:26 AM

4,664 posts, read 4,561,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ yada yada yada. i don't believe you.
even if asians make more, it is because
they put in more hours, but the white
folks still make better wages than everyone
else, because this is america ~ the white
man's paradise.
This is the attitude that prevents communities from making progress.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:49 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,307,159 times
African-Americans and Hispanics historically don't work in managerial positions so that's another issue as well in addition to their lack of education, connections and their environment.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:58 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,419,022 times
because there are no better jobs to do,
so they take the best of what is available
and let others do their dirty work. it's
all institutionalized to be that way.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:43 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,065,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yandel19 View Post
NYC is city of many different races but you more likely see blacks and hispanics working low paying jobs (security jobs,mcdonalds, delis) while whites seem to have the nice cushion jobs. You walk around midtown and downtown and see a sea white people wearing suits and ties and going to work. Why isn't corporate environment just as diverse such as the city of New York.
Honestly, I would not consider those jobs where you work extreme hours, have to wear a suit and tie no matter how hot it is, and don't pay enough to live in/near the city so you have to commute from Ronkonkoma or even further (and have a life of nothing but working, commuting, and sleeping), to be "cushion" (I think you meant "cushy") jobs, regardless of race.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:41 PM

145 posts, read 307,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The corporate space in nyc is very externally waspy and locally kosher. Local Irish and Italians as well as other native whites are not part of the nyc corporate space.
LOL - what a load of BS! Have you even worked in a corporate environment? I have - and for many years. It skews white (because most corporate jobs require at least a Bachelors degree, if not a Masters, and more whites are college graduates in the USA than blacks and Hispanics; Asians, who also tend to be be well educated, are becoming more prevalent, but are still a smaller a percentage of the population). I have worked with plenty of local Irish, Italians, Poles, Russians and other non-WASPs in corporate offices. I would hardly describe these workplaces as predominantly WASP and Jewish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City