Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 05:26 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
There is nepotism and cronyism everywhere, not just in NYC. Minority managers are just as likely to hire their own as a white manager. If you find yourself being held back based solely on your race, you should probably find another job and perhaps file a complaint.
Held back lol no, but I'm explaining how it is and he was talking about white collar professions.

Wall Street is a very vicious small circle and if you continue to play blind you will not succeed in the game (in fact many fail aka dead end jobs). The number on the dye that was given to you is preordained. No one is equal when born nor starts off on a clean slate. You have to "work" the system.

That means not painting a BS picture of what reality is. You have to make do with what you got, hustle, and seize the opportunity when it permits itself. Say what you might, but numbers DO NOT lie. Being aware of your surroundings is pivotal in not only Wall Street, but in any environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 08:08 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerpotFlowers View Post
Many of these people are Indigenous migrants who only worked on farms and are illiterate even in their own countries--in Spanish. If they are expected to be taught in English, first they need to learn to read and write in Spanish. I think policies like NAFTA forced them up here or something. The U.S. government meddles in the affairs of other countries as well. You can't blame it all on the poor. Do you honestly think that the U.S. is just a friendly place that doesn't really go after illegals and such to be kind? Wake up. They promote it in their own way. Remember this...nothing in life is free...but maybe you're just naive like most Americans. I think calling these people who would have stayed in their own countries if not for our 'economic policies' "trashy" is a little rough. If I could help them, I would. Have you seen those teen pregnancy shows on MTV? At least these people are from impoverished countries!
I did not force them here at all, not responsible. Nor did the US force them here, either. Why on earth do you think Americans should specialize in what happens in Mexico if we don't live there, or don't have anything to do with it?

If you know so much, then you can help those people. I can't. And I'm not even going to try to. I'm a firm believer in individual responsibility . If we all have equal intelligence and are all equally human beings, there is no need for this kind of help.

And its not the US's fault that some people are illiterate in Spanish. That's something that must be worked out in the societies where these people come from. As Justin Timberlake said, "Cry Me a River!!!!"

The above post is why I oppose the liberal, psuedo intellectual mentality expressed above. There are problems all around the world. So what? No one is aware of every problem all the time, and even if you are aware of it, doesn't mean you can or should do anything about it.

I'm a New Yorker, and I'm not an expert on agrarian land use in Latin America, or the education of the so called indigenous in Latin America. Therefore, there is no help I can give on the matter. Any work that should be done on the matter I leave to those who know about it (presumably people in rural Latin America or those who deal with that population).

I would even extend that to the US. If something goes on in Mississippi that screwed up, I'm living that to the people in Mississippi to deal with. I'm a New Yorker. Those people in Mississippi know what conditions they live under much better than I do, and they know what conditions they tolerate.

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 05-27-2013 at 08:22 PM..

Old 05-27-2013, 10:15 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post

Not too many black people chose fields like Business Administration, Accounting, Finance and Marketing.
According to this link business degrees are popular with black college students.

JSTOR: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

Last edited by Motion; 05-27-2013 at 10:34 PM..

Old 05-29-2013, 04:34 PM

221 posts, read 379,869 times
Default Blahblahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I did not force them here at all, not responsible. Nor did the US force them here, either. Why on earth do you think Americans should specialize in what happens in Mexico if we don't live there, or don't have anything to do with it?

If you know so much, then you can help those people. I can't. And I'm not even going to try to. I'm a firm believer in individual responsibility . If we all have equal intelligence and are all equally human beings, there is no need for this kind of help.

And its not the US's fault that some people are illiterate in Spanish. That's something that must be worked out in the societies where these people come from. As Justin Timberlake said, "Cry Me a River!!!!"

The above post is why I oppose the liberal, psuedo intellectual mentality expressed above. There are problems all around the world. So what? No one is aware of every problem all the time, and even if you are aware of it, doesn't mean you can or should do anything about it.

I'm a New Yorker, and I'm not an expert on agrarian land use in Latin America, or the education of the so called indigenous in Latin America. Therefore, there is no help I can give on the matter. Any work that should be done on the matter I leave to those who know about it (presumably people in rural Latin America or those who deal with that population).

I would even extend that to the US. If something goes on in Mississippi that screwed up, I'm living that to the people in Mississippi to deal with. I'm a New Yorker. Those people in Mississippi know what conditions they live under much better than I do, and they know what conditions they tolerate.

I think you just like to complain about things. I'm sorry that you are so unhappy. I doubt all of the people whose lives you don't give a crap about domestically and internationally are responsible for your misery. Maybe you should just focus on more positive aspects of your life and immediate environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City