Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2012, 02:09 PM

20 posts, read 39,519 times

Advertisements

Husband's looking for work in NYC and I work in Newark. We each have cars right now that we're leasing so I'm not sure getting rid of one or both is possible. And paying for them just to have them sit at home during the week is not happening. My job requires me to live in the state of NJ - are there any cities that could work for both of us? Obviously mass transit is ideal for both cities, especially NYC, but suggestions for "drive-able" (note the quotes) commutes are appreciated. We're looking for a place that's safe, no concern for schools, willing to spend up to $2,000 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 03:34 PM

5,524 posts, read 8,787,364 times
Do you areally need two cars? One of you will probably commute to Newark by car and the other to NYC by mass transit. Maybe you can sell one.

At any rate, I'd be looking at one of the many towns near Newark since you seem to want suburban or will need it if you keep those cars. South Orange, West Orange, Montclair, Bloomfield, Verona and Glen Ridge are all in Essex County on the NJT line into Penn station, well-served by buses into Port Authority, and a very short drive to Newark. Each has its own distinct vibe, but you don't say what else you're looking for beside two parking spots and each town has its own sensibility and different vibe. Maybe someone in the NJ forum can help you a bit more. And since schools arent a consideration, there no reason not to consider Newark itself. It has a bad rep, but God know its not just one big slum. There are very nice middle-class areas there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City