Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 06:57 PM

40 posts, read 171,938 times

Advertisements

There used to be a steady crop of quality NBA players from NYC...the last good batch produced some crazy / odd players such as Lamar Odom, Ron Ron, and Stephon Marbury...The current ones are not nearly as talented...most of the local players are now from NJ or LI...thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 09:19 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
This is what happens when people start moving to other areas of the country!

Old 08-16-2012, 11:22 AM

757 posts, read 1,103,435 times
You forgot Sebastian Telfair who was the first NYC player to get drafted to the NBA out of high school. He also went nowhere.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:40 PM

114 posts, read 306,552 times
The rest of the country has caught up.

Especially in areas like Chicago, DC/Maryland/Virgina and Atlanta.

There aren't many parks in NYC as opposed to number of hoops in those above referenced cities.

Also, the City itself has less programs that encourage basketball or extracurricular programs, in these neighborhoods.

Its really a shame. Because these kids in these neighborhoods don't really have a choice but to play basketball, as opposed to other areas where their kids can play football, baseball and etc.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:25 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Raccoon View Post

There aren't many parks in NYC as opposed to number of hoops in those above referenced cities.

Also, the City itself has less programs that encourage basketball or extracurricular programs, in these neighborhoods.

Its really a shame. Because these kids in these neighborhoods don't really have a choice but to play basketball, as opposed to other areas where their kids can play football, baseball and etc.
LOL how many so called experts will we continue to receive from people in Colorado, Oregon, etc. telling us how things actually are in this city... Clearly you have no idea of what you speak of... I think the area where you actually live (or if you have joined the fad and moved over here recently, the area where you were born and raised) would be better suited for you... Basketball and Football are the number one and two biggest sports in this city... period. And the amount of programs they have for basketball in this city far outweigh anything else... Please go speak nonsense somewhere else...

For what it's worth, you're first statement actually has some worth... funny thing is that you didn't even realize how you went on to contradict yourself within your same post... Also NYC has never been the sole place for talented basketball players, you can find them in any urban working class area across the country and this setting is not limited to NYC... Also, the names the OP mentioned weren't that great to begin with... Marbury was easily the star of the three and he never really made a name for himself in the NBA anyway...

Kemba Walker who came out of College a couple of years ago had potential, Im still hoping this guy can continue to get better cause from what i saw from him at Uconn, the kid had talent... He needs to get out of that mess in Charlotte though... He'll never progress there...

Old 08-16-2012, 04:00 PM

271 posts, read 532,364 times
NYC's too expensive, perhaps. Those guys were born early 80s.

LO, Ron Ron, and Steph never really matured. They're overgrown dunking teenagers. I don't know if that's exclusive to NY, Eddy Curry's from the Chicago area and he's an extremely talented loon in many ways. I'd say it's more of a coincidence.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:26 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Raccoon View Post

Maybe there is not enough parks in Williamsburg or perhaps in The Shwick? There are alot of parks all over the city as well as local recreation centers which have basketball programs. Basketball is one of the most popular sports in the city especially for the cities African American population. Sometimes these poor working single mothers cant afford day care, they just put a basketball in their sons hand and they will play basketball outside for 8 hours straight during the summer months. Go visit a housing project, almost every development has a basketball court for residents, sadly bullets fly across the courts more so than basketballs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
LOL how many so called experts will we continue to receive from people in Colorado, Oregon, etc. telling us how things actually are in this city... Clearly you have no idea of what you speak of... I think the area where you actually live (or if you have joined the fad and moved over here recently, the area where you were born and raised) would be better suited for you... Basketball and Football are the number one and two biggest sports in this city... period. And the amount of programs they have for basketball in this city far outweigh anything else... Please go speak nonsense somewhere else...

For what it's worth, you're first statement actually has some worth... funny thing is that you didn't even realize how you went on to contradict yourself within your same post... Also NYC has never been the sole place for talented basketball players, you can find them in any urban working class area across the country and this setting is not limited to NYC... Also, the names the OP mentioned weren't that great to begin with... Marbury was easily the star of the three and he never really made a name for himself in the NBA anyway...

Kemba Walker who came out of College a couple of years ago had potential, Im still hoping this guy can continue to get better cause from what i saw from him at Uconn, the kid had talent... He needs to get out of that mess in Charlotte though... He'll never progress there...
To many of these so called experts jump out of LGA terminal 3 building everyday like pilgrims landing on plymouth rock claiming NYC as their new frontier. I agree Kemba Walker needs to get out of Charlotte fast. I thought baseball was the 2nd biggest sport in the city after basketball unless you consider poor kids who ask mommy for 60 bucks to buy yearly edition of EA Madden NFL or youths playing two hand touch being in between intersections of a street which increases footballs popularity here in the city?

To answer the question. The only basketball player people know in my neigborhood is Rod Stricktland, he was raised in my area and old timers actually went to school with him. I went to to same Elementry and High School as Rod Stricktland teachers from what I remember also spoke highly Rod Strictland. You never hear about Mr Strictland on the news back in the day, last time I heard about that guy he that he beat up some Puerto Rican girlfriend who lived in the projects about decade ago and some change. These guys are not as smart as Jordan or Magic who invest their money to create more wealth for themselves. Magic Johnson invested money in Harlem, he also purchased the Williamsburg Savings Bank building on Hanson place which is only two blocks away from Barclays Center.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 08-16-2012 at 04:35 PM..

Old 08-16-2012, 05:49 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
kemba's gonna do just fine

expect a breakout season and the bobcats win 20 games

Old 08-16-2012, 10:56 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Maybe there is not enough parks in Williamsburg or perhaps in The Shwick? There are alot of parks all over the city as well as local recreation centers which have basketball programs. Basketball is one of the most popular sports in the city especially for the cities African American population. Sometimes these poor working single mothers cant afford day care, they just put a basketball in their sons hand and they will play basketball outside for 8 hours straight during the summer months. Go visit a housing project, almost every development has a basketball court for residents, sadly bullets fly across the courts more so than basketballs.

To many of these so called experts jump out of LGA terminal 3 building everyday like pilgrims landing on plymouth rock claiming NYC as their new frontier. I agree Kemba Walker needs to get out of Charlotte fast. I thought baseball was the 2nd biggest sport in the city after basketball unless you consider poor kids who ask mommy for 60 bucks to buy yearly edition of EA Madden NFL or youths playing two hand touch being in between intersections of a street which increases footballs popularity here in the city?

To answer the question. The only basketball player people know in my neigborhood is Rod Stricktland, he was raised in my area and old timers actually went to school with him. I went to to same Elementry and High School as Rod Stricktland teachers from what I remember also spoke highly Rod Strictland. You never hear about Mr Strictland on the news back in the day, last time I heard about that guy he that he beat up some Puerto Rican girlfriend who lived in the projects about decade ago and some change. These guys are not as smart as Jordan or Magic who invest their money to create more wealth for themselves. Magic Johnson invested money in Harlem, he also purchased the Williamsburg Savings Bank building on Hanson place which is only two blocks away from Barclays Center.
By the shwick i really hope you're not talking about Bushwick... My man, get out of Mott Haven every now and then... Bushwick aint the fairytale they claim...

You wanna see what the most gentrified part of Bushwick looks like
Here you go Melrose St. right along the borderline before hittinh East Williamsburg
418 Melrose Street, New York, NY - Google Maps

This is the hipstertown you along with everyone else in the real estate business claims is Bushwick... The comparison of anything to Williamsburg is just insane but BUSHWICK?! Thats just retarded... Its like saying Mott Haven and East Village can compare...

Old 08-17-2012, 12:11 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
By the shwick i really hope you're not talking about Bushwick... My man, get out of Mott Haven every now and then... Bushwick aint the fairytale they claim...

You wanna see what the most gentrified part of Bushwick looks like
Here you go Melrose St. right along the borderline before hittinh East Williamsburg
418 Melrose Street, New York, NY - Google Maps

This is the hipstertown you along with everyone else in the real estate business claims is Bushwick... The comparison of anything to Williamsburg is just insane but BUSHWICK?! Thats just retarded... Its like saying Mott Haven and East Village can compare...
sorry for calling your hood the Shwick, I couldn't help but laugh at that terminology. I do get out of Mott Haven every day if I xan. Im just as baffled as you are on why these fly overs are moving to hoods like Shwick and Mott Haven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City