Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2012, 01:22 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,394,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJU2000 View Post
He means the bronx isnt the best kept secret. People are just saying that to new guys so they wont transfer out. Seniority is everything and the bottom guys who just got newbies will lie to them to keep them from leaving.
Right and you make no sense either

If seniority is "everything" in this job people wouldn't leave the Bronx. Some guy is about to walk into Bronx 8 with 8 guys beat and not have to bounce around. That's similar to how I started. If they transfer out...they'll be replaced. Some of those Bronx garages lost like 3 people and got 8 or lost 2 from the last class and got 8.

If the Bronx is too far for them or they want to pick up, what did he say 15 instead of 18 tons (I hope its less than 15 cause that's only like 2 big flats) then by all means toss in a transfer and see where your seniority can get you.

What I was referring to was if seniority was everything then why would they leave where they will have the most lol. If you're leaving the Bronx for BK then its not seniority that is everything because you're passing on that because you'd rather be closer to home or do less weight and wait for seniority to come. That's cool too though but it seemed contradictory. And I don't think anyone is trying to trap anyone in the Bronx, that's silly. Next someone will say he only said that cause he's not in the Bronx and trying to get the new guys to transfer to him and we'll go in circles.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:56 PM

121 posts, read 249,908 times
Some people want to be closer to home, others want to be where they will make the truck more often. And some want to try and hold a steady shift. Not so easy to figure it all out when you're new and sent to the other side of the city to work. Unless you already know people on the job and trust their advice, you'll have to figure things out for yourself. There are many variables,too many to go into here. These variables include night plow manpower needs for your district/command, cleaning/mlp functions that may occur on a regular basis,how much surplus may exist or how short of manpower your location may be etc. You have new classes coming in right behind you,so there will be some movement. It isnt very likely that youll get everything you wish for so be prepared to be where you are for a while. As I am sure you've already heard, show up to work on time and be in uniform,ready to work at the start of your shift. Be early for everything until you become used to it. That way you wont feel the need to rush. Rushing causes you to make mistakes. Mistakes can cause accidents and latenesses. They can cause a complaint. And a complaint might cost you your job. As for the saying, "get some time on the job" I always hated hearing it. Didnt hear it much directed at me. It is my understanding that it is usually directed at someone new that is complaining about whatever. Once you establish yourself as a good worker and have some snowstorms "under your belt" then more senior workers will usually stop using the phrase toward you. But there are always those that keep letting you know they have you beat. Can't fix stupid,so why become upset about it? Good luck and be safe out there.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:14 PM

245 posts, read 385,999 times
When do they give out the badges

Old 08-27-2012, 02:39 PM

93 posts, read 151,488 times
The way i see it for myself is i have a tissue in the Bronx. Id rather be in the Bronx with a steady gig than be closer to home and bounce all over the place. But hey thats me. Everyone has their own preference.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:23 PM

8 posts, read 17,898 times
Boy you guys in the bronx are nuts.I work in staten island I average about 7 to 9 tons a day.So lets just say I do 8 tons X 5 days a week.That means I am doing around 40 tons.Now a guy in the bronx is doing lets say 14 tons to be nice.14 tons x 5 days =70 tons.That means that the bronx guy is picking up 30 more tons than me a week.times that by the year or your whole carear and thats crazy.And who cares when they say Im done in an hour and a half.That 14 tons isnt jumpin in the truck by itself.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:29 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,394,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bes2006 View Post
Boy you guys in the bronx are nuts.I work in staten island I average about 7 to 9 tons a day.So lets just say I do 8 tons X 5 days a week.That means I am doing around 40 tons.Now a guy in the bronx is doing lets say 14 tons to be nice.14 tons x 5 days =70 tons.That means that the bronx guy is picking up 30 more tons than me a week.times that by the year or your whole carear and thats crazy.And who cares when they say Im done in an hour and a half.That 14 tons isnt jumpin in the truck by itself.
People who work in Staten island aren't allowed to post here :-)

Old 08-27-2012, 04:39 PM

49 posts, read 76,372 times
Hey guys...anyone whose waitin to get called for the Sept class,if you can, post your list #'s as ya get called.This way we all have an idea where they're at on the list....thanks!

Old 08-27-2012, 05:13 PM

233 posts, read 535,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyBoy48 View Post
Ok i have never done less than 16 tons and that was on a saturday. Do you work in bx1? If you do send me a private message. I cant see how you could say we dont do 2 loads totaling 18 tons on a regular basis though. The days after xmas last yr were well over 20 tons so dont know where your getting your info from. The case seems to me you came here out of town a few times so you obviously have 40 yrs on the job n know it all!
I would volunteer for baskets everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWOL AGAIN View Post
See Supervisor Soto for lockers but run away if he ever says "do me a favor."
PS. That's all supervisors!

Old 08-27-2012, 06:00 PM

71 posts, read 152,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerojet View Post
Hey guys...anyone whose waitin to get called for the Sept class,if you can, post your list #'s as ya get called.This way we all have an idea where they're at on the list....thanks!
10-4 waiting for Sept class #201@ here .trust me i will post .

Old 08-27-2012, 06:36 PM

473 posts, read 932,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWOL AGAIN View Post
Think about why what you just wrote makes zero sense. I'll wait....
While your waiting read it again, the queens guys understood it fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City