Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 10:44 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,309,266 times

Advertisements

It seems like more and more places in Manhattan want a niche look in their servers. It's no longer just that you have to be a girl and look attractive, some places only seem to hire Eastern European chicks and there's this one bar I applied to and this other bar that I'm thinking of applying to that only has really tall, blonde female servers. I'm 5'4, not model skinny and definitely not a natural blonde. Makes me wonder if I should even bother applying at places where no one looks like me (even though I feel I've gotten way lucky in the past with that).

Of course, the places with the most diverse waitstaff are places where no one makes any money. Frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 11:28 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,064,719 times
I agree with the Eastern European part. I went to Lavo sometime ago the bartender had an accent and she was blonde Eastern European women is whats hot these days in the pleasure industry even though I have not been a big fan of Eastern European women until recently when I met a bartender chick in the village she was half Turkish and Russian.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:01 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,149,676 times
Default No, I don't see it.

I work in the service industry, And see many servers and employees aside from this description. Personality plays a large role in this field as well as presenting ones self well. there is and has been a large influx of Eastern Europeans to this country which would account for many people from this region being in the service industry.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:20 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,723,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
It seems like more and more places in Manhattan want a niche look in their servers. It's no longer just that you have to be a girl and look attractive, some places only seem to hire Eastern European chicks and there's this one bar I applied to and this other bar that I'm thinking of applying to that only has really tall, blonde female servers. I'm 5'4, not model skinny and definitely not a natural blonde. Makes me wonder if I should even bother applying at places where no one looks like me (even though I feel I've gotten way lucky in the past with that).

Of course, the places with the most diverse waitstaff are places where no one makes any money. Frustrating.
Don't get discouraged. At 4-5 star places model-like looks get thrown out of the window. At those restaurants the waiter/waitress needs to really know what they're doing, and know almost as much about food and wine as the chef does. As long as you're clean, professional, know what you're doing, are a good hostess then you will do fine.

Also, the pretty blonde trick only works on horny guys and lesbians to lure them in or get tips. The other half of the clientele will only tip for good service. I've had a few waitresses try the whole flirty thing, but since I've got a set of boobs of my own and don't find them attractive it doesn't sway how much or how little I tip.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:57 AM

I don't do 4-5 star dining. I like sports bars and upscale casual, where unfortunately, looks do matter a lot.

An Irish bartender at one of my current bars sobered me up a bit when I realized I dropped my resume at her old bar. She told me there was no way that I would've ever gotten hired, the owner owns three places and he only hires Irish and Eastern Euro's, no brown people of any kind. He is Irish.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:37 AM

25,378 posts, read 37,110,432 times
In times of high unemployment, you get this kind of over-choosiness (aka discrimination.) Employers CAN discriminate, so they DO.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:04 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,723,677 times
Quote:
I don't do 4-5 star dining. I like sports bars and upscale casual, where unfortunately, looks do matter a lot.

An Irish bartender at one of my current bars sobered me up a bit when I realized I dropped my resume at her old bar. She told me there was no way that I would've ever gotten hired, the owner owns three places and he only hires Irish and Eastern Euro's, no brown people of any kind. He is Irish.
Well, not that it matters but the best waiter I even encountered was middle aged, wore glasses and had a big beer belly. Looks are overrated!

Old 08-22-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
In times of high unemployment, you get this kind of over-choosiness (aka discrimination.) Employers CAN discriminate, so they DO.
Frankly it's discouraging, because there's really nothing I can do to make myself 5'8 tall or a natural blonde. Imagine if I were a dude or overweight and unnattractive. I'd be broke.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:26 AM

520 posts, read 844,836 times
Go to a high end salon, get a good die job/hairstyle, loose weight to hit the 110lbs mark, put on a mini skirt, false eyelashes, high heels, some artisan jewelry and go get em. Just smile a lot, be witty and bat your eyelashes, and don't forget to seek out male managers. I'm sure you'll blow Eastern European women out of the water. No need to stretch yourself laterally or morph into a blonde.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:40 AM

393 posts, read 783,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entangled View Post
Go to a high end salon, get a good die job/hairstyle, loose weight to hit the 110lbs mark, put on a mini skirt, false eyelashes, high heels, some artisan jewelry and go get em. Just smile a lot, be witty and bat your eyelashes, and don't forget to seek out male managers. I'm sure you'll blow Eastern European women out of the water. No need to stretch yourself laterally or morph into a blonde.
Haha that sounds easy enough. I bet you haven't thought of that op.

Quote:

Why not try to go for the upscale dining world though where your skills matter more than your looks? There is more money there and more long-term potential for work. You might not like the atmosphere as much as informal/casual dining, but you'll have a higher earning potential and won't have to deal with discrimination. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do about that, and the food service industry isn't the only one that uses it. There is plenty of discrimination in the corporate world and everywhere else. Too much competition for everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City