Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,261 times

Advertisements

I was fired from my job Jan 31. I applied for unemployment benefits on Feb 8. On Feb 20 I contacted unemployment and was told that because I was fired I had to wait 21 days before any benefits were released. After waiting the 21 days I called again and was told that my benefits are pending until a claims examiner calls me. It has been well over a month now my claim is still pending and have not spoken to the examiner. Does anyone know whats going on at the NY unemployment office?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 11:40 AM

72 posts, read 127,581 times
You need to get the examiner's number and contact them directly. Also, see if you can file an expedited hardship claim of some sort with them.

Barring all that, you can contact an employment lawyer and possibly look into see if litigation may be an option for you. Some employment law lawyers will work on a contingency basis. Where they only charge you a fee if they collect. You pay nothing up front.

Good luck!

Old 03-11-2014, 03:15 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,994,117 times
pure nonsense-- you don't need a lawyer--- just get your tail into the nearest unemployment office and check on the status of your claim. You are unemployed so your time is yours. Yes you have to wait 21 days but then you should start getting your checks the next week if you do it right. I had to file and made one visit to the local office learned the rules and every other week I did it on line and never saw anyone again until I got off of unemployment. Do not listen to these people who tell you that you need a lawyer. The laws are not complicated for 99.99 per cent of the people.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:55 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,032,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
pure nonsense-- you don't need a lawyer--- just get your tail into the nearest unemployment office and check on the status of your claim. You are unemployed so your time is yours. Yes you have to wait 21 days but then you should start getting your checks the next week if you do it right. I had to file and made one visit to the local office learned the rules and every other week I did it on line and never saw anyone again until I got off of unemployment. Do not listen to these people who tell you that you need a lawyer. The laws are not complicated for 99.99 per cent of the people.
Didn't Workforce One replace all the Unemployment offices in NYC?

Would they have the OP's direct info if they went in?

I never hear good things about the place.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:14 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,994,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Didn't Workforce One replace all the Unemployment offices in NYC?

Would they have the OP's direct info if they went in?

I never hear good things about the place.

I don't think so- I think Workforce One was just one benefit set up by the state but I never used them.

Take a look here for more info:

How to file a claim for UI Benefits - New York State Department of Labor

Old 03-11-2014, 05:40 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,731,042 times
Quote:
You have to certify EVERY WEEK, not every other week. You are only paid for the weeks that you certify.

The OP should find out where his UE office is and go in. Dont' wait for a call from them. They take their sweet time about everything. Hopefully, you'll get retroactive payments (if you've been certifying each week) for every week you should have been paid after that 21st day.

Once your claim is ongoing, you're going to get a letter telling you to come in for an appointment at the One Stop Center. Once there, you'll go in with a group of other unemployed people and listen to someone give you all the info about being on unemployement. They will also give you the location of your local Worforce One center where you can do a job search, learn computer programs, resume, etc

Old 03-11-2014, 05:44 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,032,785 times
Quote:
I don't think so- I think Workforce One was just one benefit set up by the state but I never used them.

Take a look here for more info:

How to file a claim for UI Benefits - New York State Department of Labor
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: