Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 02:38 PM

74 posts, read 135,292 times

Advertisements

Ever heard the story about Woody Allen not leaving Manhattan for over ten years? I wonder how common this is with a class of people who are true and blue New Yorkers.

If you live in Manhattan getting out of the city is extremely difficult if you don't have a car. Car Rentals are very expensive and traffic is terrible. And why leave the Big Apple, everything is there for you.

Are you like Woody Allen and pretty much stay put in Manhattan? Have you even been upstate? Is Rural visiting relatives once a year in Fort Lee New Jersey?

What observations do you have about Manhattan residents and leaving town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 02:39 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,693,242 times
The path, lirr, and Amtrak can get you out of the state .

Old 09-14-2012, 02:44 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,520,181 times
Car rentals should be pretty easy. When I was in a wreck, I got one from Hertz with no reservation that same day for $32 a day. It was just a Corolla, nothing fancy, but it will get you out of town should you wish.

I dated a girl from the UWS for a little while who did have a car, and yet had never been south of 14th street in just about her whole life.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:44 PM

393 posts, read 783,640 times
I don't leave as much as I want because 1. I'm lazy and 2. I pay too much for rent and have little left over for trips. One of the reasons why I'm moving from Manhattan to Queens is because I want to save money so I can travel more often. We have a zipcar account, and it works really well for us. Overall, it's convenient and not as expensive as traditional car rentals.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:53 PM

74 posts, read 135,292 times
One time the tunnels going into Jersey were jammed so I went via Staten Island to get from Manhattan to Princeton and it costs over $21 in tolls and it took us 3 hours to get the 55 miles to Princeton. It is not like going from Little Rock to Hot Springs AR.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:58 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,728,274 times
with the invention of ZipCar it's just as easy to leave by having a car as it is without having a car.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:01 PM

466 posts, read 902,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chit chatter View Post
One time the tunnels going into Jersey were jammed so I went via Staten Island to get from Manhattan to Princeton and it costs over $21 in tolls and it took us 3 hours to get the 55 miles to Princeton. It is not like going from Little Rock to Hot Springs AR.
Are you a fellow Arkansan?

I drove back and forth between Hot Springs and LR so many times when I was in high school. It's funny to see that stretch mentioned here. For those who have never been to Arkansas, it takes about 45 minutes and is pretty much an unremarkable drive. It used to be somewhat annoying back when there was a lot of construction, but it's fine now.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:25 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,095,470 times
There is an older lady in my building,in The Bronx,who hasn't left the neighborhood in over 20 years. Forget leaving the city,she hasn't even been to Manhattan in that time.She is perfectly capable of getting on the subway and going but she doesn't see any need.She walks everywhere except sometimes she takes a bus over to Riverdale to visit a friend.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:26 PM

676 posts, read 1,262,536 times
Many people travel by train, bus or plane if the want to go out of town. There are also shuttle buses between big cities (e.g. NYC & DC). Now here's a guy who never leaves Manhattan:
Amazon.com: Forever: A Novel (9780316735698): Pete Hamill: Books

Old 09-14-2012, 03:38 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,144,778 times
I don't believe that is something that happens often. Maybe for people who are older, but most people take trips. I've noticed that this city wears your down so most people take a trip to someplace tropical to relax. As for leaving the City/LI, I don't think that happens that often. Mostly, why do I want to leave when I can get anything I want in minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City