Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 04:41 AM

58 posts, read 179,828 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody. I write from Italy, I've been to NY three times... and i love the town and its italian-american culture!
I'd like to know if there still are some Italian Social Club in the city (like former Ravenite) and where are them... I've only been to Sorrento (in Bensonhurst), I went in to have a cup of coffee but the people there were not so welcoming. I ran into another one near to Arthur Avenue in Bronx, but people there were still worst and looked at me really threatening when I was about to go in, so I prefered not to go. But I've never seen a Social Club in Manhattan.... so do you know if there is still one or more Italian Social Club there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 05:28 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Perhaps there is one in the Little Italy area in Manhattan.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:36 AM

58 posts, read 179,828 times
Where it is? I looked for one everywhere over there, but I couldn't find anything...

Old 03-28-2014, 05:37 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Just tell them you know John Gotti.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:59 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,082 times
Maybe common where you come from but here they are to be avoided even if you speak the language. If you insist listen to Kefir Kings suggestion

Old 03-28-2014, 09:11 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times
there's one or two on McLean Avenue in Yonkers just over the 238th street overpass. one is the US Corleone Club, I don't remember the other one...

Old 03-28-2014, 09:13 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times
id bet that there may be one or two along Yonkers Avenue in the area of the raceway

possibly in Tuckahoe or Eastchester but these are no longer NY City

Old 03-28-2014, 09:19 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
These "social clubs" are unwelcoming to everyone..regardless of whether you are italian. If you are not from the neighborhood, they don't want you there. Not sure why anyone would want to participate in these clubs anyway..they are typically full of old school, middle aged +++, narrow minded, anti-everything except them and their group. Who would find that interesting?

Sounds like you are wasting your time in NYC...of all the things to do, see, and experience, hanging out with a 60 year old Situation and Snookie in Bensonhurst, Morris Park, or anywhere in Staten Island is probably the worst I could imagine.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:32 AM

424 posts, read 974,014 times
I agree with SobroGuy, why would you want to go to one of these clubs?

Maybe there's a misunderstanding of what these clubs are (they are not like the cafes you find in Italy where people stay for hours and are neighborhood meeting spots) but if you're looking for something like the stereotypical Soprano's thing there's a bus tour that covers the locations in New Jersey. That's about as close as you want to get since actively seeking out people who may or may not have mafia ties and are very unwelcoming to non members is a very bad idea.

NYC is full of many more interesting things to see and do with more friendly types of people. Try meetup.com if you're looking to connect with Italian Americans.

Last edited by ehanson; 03-28-2014 at 09:41 AM..

Old 03-28-2014, 09:32 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,234,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
These "social clubs" are unwelcoming to everyone..regardless of whether you are italian. If you are not from the neighborhood, they don't want you there. Not sure why anyone would want to participate in these clubs anyway..they are typically full of old school, middle aged +++, narrow minded, anti-everything except them and their group. Who would find that interesting?

Sounds like you are wasting your time in NYC...of all the things to do, see, and experience, hanging out with a 60 year old Situation and Snookie in Bensonhurst, Morris Park, or anywhere in Staten Island is probably the worst I could imagine.

I have to agree with you 100% on this. I'm Italian. I grew up in an Italian neighborhood where there were cafes and then there were "social clubs". Sometimes there were tight groups within the cafes too. But if you weren't from the neighborhood (and they can tell), they were unwelcoming. Even if you were from the neighborhood and they really didn't know you well, they were unwelcoming. My dad would go watch soccer there or have an espresso on a Saturday night. Sometimes he'd come back after half an hour because there was "drama" going on. Forget the social clubs. If you're not a member, don't even try going in.

The neighborhood I live in now is mostly Italian. There's a social club not far from me. Most of them are still the old-world older men. They sometimes stand around outside or are sitting on the bench outside of the club. They always stop talking when people pass by them and as soon as you're a few feet away you can hear them picking up their conversation again. Oh, and they have a big ol' sign on the door telling non-members that they cannot enter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City