Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 03:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,721 times

Advertisements

I have two small boys and I a working single parent marking 50,000 a year~Living in Bushwick~ Now my lease is up and the landlord wants me out by next Saturday ~I want to move anyway because it's a walk-up & I have an injured back~ I've been searching and searching for a 1-2 bedroom 1250 the most in Brooklyn that's affordable and that is No-fee~ I have 3,000 on hand Any Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 09:35 PM

15 posts, read 112,838 times
Destination Real Estate
I found this one for you. It may help.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:34 AM

25,376 posts, read 37,110,432 times
One week is very little time to arrange for new housing in this City...this we ALL know.
Why not ask your landlord to allow you to stay on as a month to month tenant, ot at least for ONE month.
When you ask he knows that there is always the veiled threat that if he says no, you can merely stay on until he evicts you and this is time consuming.
Either his acceptance or refusal will buy you some time.

Have you been sent any legal notices? Do you have some security deposit coming back to you?

Old 10-14-2012, 07:02 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,239,964 times
The landlord may "want you out" by next Saturday, but that has nothing to do with your legal rights as a tenant.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,721 times
Thank-You everyone!!

Old 10-16-2012, 05:49 PM

25 posts, read 29,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
The landlord may "want you out" by next Saturday, but that has nothing to do with your legal rights as a tenant.
true.

and i messaged you, OP.
there was inventory when i initially messaged you but its all gone. the no fee ones that i see are not staying long on the market, especially not the 2 bedrooms in your price range.
ill try looking again for you first thing in the AM and message you

Old 10-17-2012, 09:03 PM

34,106 posts, read 47,343,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellotoughlife View Post
I have two small boys and I a working single parent marking 50,000 a year~Living in Bushwick~ Now my lease is up and the landlord wants me out by next Saturday ~I want to move anyway because it's a walk-up & I have an injured back~ I've been searching and searching for a 1-2 bedroom 1250 the most in Brooklyn that's affordable and that is No-fee~ I have 3,000 on hand Any Suggestions?
You didn't know when your lease was going to end?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-17-2012, 09:14 PM

10,086 posts, read 14,479,668 times
To the Op--was this a month to month living situation? Because if the landlord "demands" you out in 1 week, that is ludicrous and if a lease is in place, unacceptable legally.
If you have a lease and he/she is only giving you a week abruptly, they must give you more notice than that. This is not right. Worst case scenario, if you talk to your landlord and tell him/her you need longer and they refuse, I'd remain in the apartment since this is completely unreasonable--at least until you find something. The landlord--if ethical and reasonable--should understand this.
Also, consult legal advice from an attorney specializing in these issues.
You can find something in your price-range but you may have to compromise location--can you do that?

Old 10-18-2012, 07:03 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,256,203 times
Damn one week is really cutting it close. Why weren't you already looking if you knew your lease was up and you wanted move?

Old 10-18-2012, 10:10 AM

2 posts, read 2,043 times
Default More advice if not yet resolved

Wow...sounds like a pretty mean landlord.
I don't know it your situation has been resolved yet.
However,
1. A landlord cannot evict you. Only a judge can do that. A landlord can bring an action to evict you, but it doesn't happen overnight.
2. Any prospective landlord, and you want a legal rental, is going to check you out and it'll take more than a week. And you need to check the owner/landlord out too.
3. You need some legal advice on how to protect yourself and I'm sure you can get it at no or low cost. You have many legal rights as a tenant and you need to be aware of them.
4. I will tell you one thing that you need to protect yourself against- your landlord having a key to your dwelling. My mom was locked out of her dwelling by a landlord because her roomate (separate rental payments) was late on the rent. This caused great stress to my mom, but she was very gutsy, took him to court and won a judgement against him, but she was out of her living quarters for a couple of weeks. (No little kids involved- I was on my own at the time). If you are still there and the landlord also has the key, get legal advice on this as well as other matters.
A letter to your landlord from an attorney will go a long way towards stopping him from bullying you until the issues are resolved.
Best to you...Star Pollack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City