Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 08:04 PM

12 posts, read 32,251 times

Advertisements

I have been a tenant in this basement for a year then I just found out it was illegal as soon as I started reporting situations to the landlord & they did nothing about them. So I reported my unsafe conditions to 311 and when the llord found out they proceeded to write me letters saying "get out, we never knew there was an illegal basement in our building". Banging on my door harassing my family. I even had to call the cops because my outlet electricity was turned off, cops forced them to cut it on. The llord also said they will call Con-Ed to cut electricity off& report my friend who they think is illegal. I consulted a lawyer a few weeks ago before this situation turned extra worse he said to wait, he sent them a letter to stop and refund me my monies for all months paid or court will be next, they still send me harassing letters instead of consulting him like he demanded or taking me to tenant court. I'm a bit nervous I have a 1yr old son and need more advice. I also am working on moving but I'm saving my lawyer told me to cease rental payments so I just did. They also have two other tenants down here in their own basement apt, I told them(LLord) if i'm leaving they will tooooo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 03:11 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,269,662 times
That's a terrible situation to be in--I'm sorry to hear about it. I would follow the advice of your lawyer and take it all the way to tenant court if need be. It sounds like the landlord is trying to scare you -- that is why they are trying to communicate with you directly rather than through your attorney as you requested.

Every time you receive a communication from them you should refer them to your lawyer. Save every harassing letter and recorded voicemail.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
that's a terrible situation to be in--i'm sorry to hear about it. I would follow the advice of your lawyer and take it all the way to tenant court if need be. It sounds like the landlord is trying to scare you -- that is why they are trying to communicate with you directly rather than through your attorney as you requested.

Every time you receive a communication from them you should refer them to your lawyer. Save every harassing letter and recorded voicemail.

thankyou so much!!

Old 08-18-2011, 11:03 AM

25,381 posts, read 37,114,463 times
What I'd do,

Stop paying rent if you KNOW the place is illegal...you owe nothing.
If in a large building with a not insane landlord then just stay put...he can do nothing.

BUT if you fear him and/or it is a small building where your lack of rent is a serious threat to him, then perhaps getting away ASAP is the wiser approach.

If he is NOT violent, you cannot lose by staying. He can really do nothing legally. If you are WRONG about the illegal apartement however, well then you can be in doo-doo.

Keep a paper trail!

Old 08-18-2011, 01:29 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,930,579 times
Nothing personal but why is that EVERY person who posts about living in a illegal basement CLAIMS they did not know that it was TILL they had problems? Not saying you are lying but, it is odd that so many people don't ask the landlord before renting if the place is legal.

I wish you the best and DONT let this person scare you. Show them you are the MASTER of the game.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:25 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,269,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERCHIC View Post
Nothing personal but why is that EVERY person who posts about living in a illegal basement CLAIMS they did not know that it was TILL they had problems? Not saying you are lying but, it is odd that so many people don't ask the landlord before renting if the place is legal.

I wish you the best and DONT let this person scare you. Show them you are the MASTER of the game.
I would imagine that if you asked a landlord who was renting an illegal apartment if it was legal at the time you viewed it--that person would say it was legal.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:51 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,937,450 times
I would also sue them in housing court for the substandard conditions, and especially if you were told that the basement was legal - they are not. I would think you could get money for relocating, if this is costing you extra money.

I agree that you should keep every paper and voicemail and any other scrap of evidence - really important.

Landlords are converting basements to apartments and renting them every day, around here or nearby it is often to illegals, who do not make a fuss or know they can. I am always amazed that people realize that these conversions are illegal.

The building department deals with illegal conversions, and indeed they can prevent people from living in basements. Be prepared for your landlord to claim that you are a squatter.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:23 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,930,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I would imagine that if you asked a landlord who was renting an illegal apartment if it was legal at the time you viewed it--that person would say it was legal.
not always the case> some landlords will tell you. Not all landlords are dishonest

Old 08-18-2011, 07:36 PM

Thanks guys!!!!

Old 08-16-2012, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 4,231 times
Everyone knows that most basements are illegal to rent. No one should live in the basement. Many times people rent the basement and take advantage of it, by not paying.
I see here and other places all wicked minded people giving wicked plan to a trouble maker!!!
There are so many things we see that are illegal everyday. None of you can claim not involving in any illegal activities.
So why advise when you guys are not pure either?
If the owner wants the tenant to leave with a logical reason, the tenant should leave, that is always expected.
I see people giving horrible ideas to the tenant, advising not to pay as it is illegal.
It's like you're buying perfume from the street or store and you don't want to pay because it is not geniune...
Please be a human.
Remember, owners are not always rich, even though, so what? His money is his not ours!
Be considerate, they have to pay big bucks to keep the ownership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City