Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2012, 06:51 PM

991 posts, read 1,110,243 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are planning on moving to NYC in 2013. I am originally from New York State and my dad owns an apartment on the upper east side and has worked in finance in Manhattan for a several years now. I am a CPA and forensic accountant and he is assisting me with getting some interviews at some "dream employers". If those don't pan out, I still plan on working in NYC and will work in any form of accounting while I pursue a position in my specialty field. Also, he is going to sign as guarantor if I need it. I just have a few questions. I have a cousin who lives in Astoria and loves it, and another cousin who lives in Park Slope but just bought a house in New Jersey.

If I were to chose to live in Manhattan, I know we would be looking at a very small apartment (that is fine for us as we plan to be out a lot). I also know living on the upper east side would be difficult...and I would probably living in a not as nice area of Manhattan. My cousin in Queens recommends Astoria, though, as he says it's an easy commute to Manhattan on the N/R/Q and there are lot of "value" benefits to living there...the food is excellent, etc. My girlfriend is a naturalized US citizen originally from Asia and he says that there are a lot of great Vietnamese/Indonesian food stores in his area that she would love. He and his wife have lived there for a few years now and are just in love with the place. My other cousin highly recommends Brooklyn (he wanted to buy a home near his wife's family, hence the Jersey move).

Does anyone have any recommendations on Queens vs. Brooklyn vs. living right in Manhattan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 12:26 AM

11,638 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Get the job first, then worry about it. It really depends on your job locaton whether Astoria, the UES, or Brooklyn will be the best location, and of course your budget.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:44 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Get the job first, then worry about it. It really depends on your job locaton whether Astoria, the UES, or Brooklyn will be the best location, and of course your budget.
I agree with the above. Astoria is a great location in Queens but so are other areas in Queens as well as Brooklyn.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:14 AM

857 posts, read 1,366,342 times
For Queens..Astoria..Long island City or Jackson Heights are all on the NRQ lines and all take roughly 20 mins or less to the city.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:35 PM

25 posts, read 29,452 times
Where is your job and whats your budget is first and foremost. Rent may be higher in one location but if you save on the cost (and time) of a daily commute then it's a better tradeoff IMO.
Which companies are you looking at? My wife is a cpa, does well at her firm. Im sending you a pm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City