Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2014, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,746 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys,

So I'm 29 years old and about to graduate from law school in a few months... Im persian but have lived most of my life in Nashville but I can't imagine living the rest of my days here... Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Nashville. Its a great city.. its beautiful and its friendly and it feels like home but its just NOT ME.

I want to move somewhere and start over and I just can't get NYC out of my mind.. I definitely have friends there and have visited the city 5 times just in the last 6 months, however there is no one that I would really depend on if I were to move there...

Ive been in Real Estate since I was 22 and have done everything from being an agent to title processor and closing agent and thought thats what I would focus on once I graduate and have my Law degree...

I spent a summer in Boston and got familiar with the real estate market there but unfortunately don't know much about NYC.

I guess I am writing to ask you guys for advice... I will have a JD but don't necessarily care to practice LAW. However I will take the BAR just to have more options when I am job searching.. I would appreciate ANY ADVICE on possible job searches or moving to NYC. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 10:58 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
With your background I think you will do well because the RE market is very active again in NYC. If you were just another lawyer I would advise you against coming in.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:07 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
To be honest, lawyers are a dime a dozen in NYC. I don't mean to sound negative, but there are so many law school graduates with over $100K in student loans and they can't find work. I work for a bank and my department has over 80 people, the majority of which are consultants. The majority of the consulants are law school grads that can't find jobs. The law firm my niece worked for pretty much laid off all office employees and several attorneys. Her husband is a lawyer and was laid off from his firm about 2 years ago. He decided to go solo.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:19 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
To be honest, lawyers are a dime a dozen in NYC. I don't mean to sound negative, but there are so many law school graduates with over $100K in student loans and they can't find work. I work for a bank and my department has over 80 people, the majority of which are consultants. The majority of the consulants are law school grads that can't find jobs. The law firm my niece worked for pretty much laid off all office employees and several attorneys. Her husband is a lawyer and was laid off from his firm about 2 years ago. He decided to go solo.

NY seems to be brutal in finding a law job. My ex longterm girl decided to not even try here. She was sick of the city anyway. Got an interview in New England, got a job from that first interview. The money is not insane like big law in NY will give you, but the COL is much cheaper up there so it's all relative. And her hours are 9-5 at a small firm. That alone is worth more than having to work 70-80 hours a week. She seems to be quite happy...

Old 09-12-2014, 12:13 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
The OP seems to be more interested in a career in real estate. I would think a law degree would give him a nice edge.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:17 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
The OP seems to be more interested in a career in real estate. I would think a law degree would give him a nice edge.
Not without an extensive understanding of New York real estate and New York real estate law.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Maybe the OP got to go to law school for free (scholarship, grants, etc) otherwise I can't see dropping that kind of money on law school to NOT practice law.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
NY seems to be brutal in finding a law job. My ex longterm girl decided to not even try here. She was sick of the city anyway. Got an interview in New England, got a job from that first interview. The money is not insane like big law in NY will give you, but the COL is much cheaper up there so it's all relative. And her hours are 9-5 at a small firm. That alone is worth more than having to work 70-80 hours a week. She seems to be quite happy...
Best move she made. At least she's working in her field
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: