Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2012, 05:43 PM

225 posts, read 383,940 times

Advertisements

We are taking the family (2 teens and a 10 yr old) to NYC this April for a weeks vacation. We will be doing things that are FREE or super low cost. (No Empire State Bldg, Top of the Rock etc). Our budget is pretty tight. I am looking at either staying in Chelsea in a Studio that will sleep 5,(25th Street and 6th Ave.) OR in Astoria (cheaper) which are one bedrooms that sleep 5 or 6. One location in Astoria is 41st St. between 34th and Broadway. The other is at 25-19 36th Street.

So, my question is; I realize that as a tourist it would be preferable to stay in Manhattan. (even thought the accommodations are tight.) However, we are also thinking of possibly living in NYC for a year or two. Since I don't think we would pay the Manhattan prices, I was thinking Astoria might be a good option. That being said, since I have never been there, which location in Astoria is better? Also, should we stay in Manhattan, and just take a trip over to Astoria to check it out one day? Most of what we want to see and do is in Manhattan except for the Bronx Zoo.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Also, any off the beaten track things we should see or do that is inexpensive?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 05:23 AM

43,754 posts, read 44,521,335 times
I suggest that you stay in Long Island City (near Astoria) in Queens which has reasonably priced accommodations and is a short subway ride from Manhattan.

I suggest that you visit the American Museum of Natural History and the Museum of the City of NY. Both of them have a policy of suggested contribution (meaning pay what you wish) instead of a fixed admission price. The same is true for the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Brooklyn Museum.

Also I suggest you ride the Staten Island ferry which is free for a great view and photo opportunity of the Statute of Liberty, Ellis Island and Lower Manhattan. (It is much better than standing online to visit Liberty Island and paying for that in general.)

Another inexpensive thing to do is to ride the Roosevelt Island tram for a great view of the Midtown Manhattan skyline. The cost is the same a subway/bus ride in each direction.

Another idea is to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and stroll along the Brooklyn Heights Promenade. Again the views are great.

Also next to the Bronx Zoo is the Bronx Botanical Gardens which has free grounds admission on Wednesdays all day and Saturday mornings until noon. The Brooklyn Botanical Gardens has free admission on Tuesdays.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:32 AM

25,387 posts, read 37,134,785 times
Get weekly subway passes...$29 will give you a thousand bus and subway rides if you care to take them.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:55 PM

Question Really? Pay what you wish?

The American Museum of Natural History and the Museum of the City of NY are both suggested admission? Can you really pay what you wish? My oldest son wants to see the Natural History museum, but I told him it was going to be too expensive for the five of us!! Has anyone really done this? I have not seen anything about htis in any of my guide books!

Old 11-15-2012, 05:56 PM

Question Really? Pay what you wish?

The American Museum of Natural History and the Museum of the City of NY are both suggested admission? Can you really pay what you wish? My oldest son wants to see the Natural History museum, but I told him it was going to be too expensive for the five of us!! Has anyone really done this? I have not seen anything about this in any of my guide books!!

Old 11-15-2012, 06:08 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,158,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamainfl View Post
The American Museum of Natural History and the Museum of the City of NY are both suggested admission? Can you really pay what you wish? My oldest son wants to see the Natural History museum, but I told him it was going to be too expensive for the five of us!! Has anyone really done this? I have not seen anything about this in any of my guide books!!
New York City Museums with Suggested Admission Prices

Old 11-17-2012, 06:39 AM

43,754 posts, read 44,521,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamainfl View Post
The American Museum of Natural History and the Museum of the City of NY are both suggested admission? Can you really pay what you wish? My oldest son wants to see the Natural History museum, but I told him it was going to be too expensive for the five of us!! Has anyone really done this? I have not seen anything about htis in any of my guide books!
Yes I have done this many times with many people who really can't afford to pay the full suggested admission price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City