Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 06:48 AM

131 posts, read 338,129 times

Advertisements

Two weeks out from Sandy, whether affected directly or not at all. What will you do differently in case of a future event? Examples: take warnings more seriously, have emergency kits available, or change nothing at all,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 08:09 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
Get a battery powered radio.
Get candles.

(Everything else I sorta did.)

But I barely noticed there was a storm...but I count myself VERY lucky because so many suffered so much.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:15 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,725,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Get a battery powered radio.
Get candles.

(Everything else I sorta did.)

But I barely noticed there was a storm...but I count myself VERY lucky because so many suffered so much.
I second the battery powered radio. I figured if I needed to know anything I had a iPhone with two fully charged macbooks I could recharge my phone with. I did not know that the cell signal would go down like it did in lower Manhattan so if something like that were to happen I would have been out. But, I too was very lucky and didn't even have the lights flicker and was going outside during the storm because it wasn't bad near me.

I also probably will prep little bit better. I didn't get that much as far as non perishibles because I didn't think the storm was going to affect my area that much. Lucky for me(and my girlfriend) I was right.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:35 AM

145 posts, read 334,576 times
we prepared appropriately, so not much to change there. however, i am not sure we want to continue being zone a'ers. we're close to the water in red hook and after sandy i think it may be a bit too close for comfort.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:37 AM

131 posts, read 338,129 times
I wasn't affected badly either, but I did take lessons from it. I will second the thought of having a battery powered radio, I also forgot about the cell phone signals being lost. I was able to get gas due to my job description, but I really didn't take filling up the tank seriously until the gas lines happened. I will put all of my important papers in a safe place so that if needed, I can just grab them if at all possilbe. I also plan to get an emergency bag. And I am working on a communication/meeting place/way/something plan w/family members in case communication is lost.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:04 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,501,111 times
Already purchased myself a battery operated radio. Best money I have spent this year.

I was so lost with no power, no cell signal, dead cell phone, etc. The only tie to the outside world I had for several days was the newspaper.

Also purchased myself a few battery operated lantern lights, and I had plenty of candles to get me through.

Next time, I will probably evacuate though, since I came a little to close to being near the storm surge even though I was Zone "B". The water stopped about three houses away from me. People all over my area lost everything and it's very sad and eye opening.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:21 AM

5,522 posts, read 8,775,164 times
I was not personally affected by Sandy. Had lights, heat, water, throughout.

But if I'd lived in an evacuation zone I'd sure as hell have gotten out when the authorities said to.
Sadly, some people will never have the chance to learn that lesson. I thought that after Katrina, that would be a no-brainer.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:33 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,725,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I was not personally affected by Sandy. Had lights, heat, water, throughout.

But if I'd lived in an evacuation zone I'd sure as hell have gotten out when the authorities said to.
Sadly, some people will never have the chance to learn that lesson. I thought that after Katrina, that would be a no-brainer.
I think if there was no Irene more people would have evacuated for this storm.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:58 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,727 times
You should ditch the battery powered stuff and opt for a radio that can run off multiple power sources (solar, battery, hand crank) and a kerosene lamp. Batteries are one of the first things to go in the stores. Kerosene lamps are sold in K-Mart for about $5-$7 and you can also find them online. These are what I have: Lamplight Farms Oil Lamp, Create the Moment, 1 oil lamp - For the Home - Lighting - Table Lamps
When I was stocking up before the storm I noticed that all the candles were gone, as were all the batteries but there was plenty of kerosene lamp oil left to fill my lamps (and this was in Family Dollar!) A bottle of that oil lasts for a very long time.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:10 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,922 times
I would get gas for my car, get more wine and canned food, get more dried fruits and vegetables, get a better water purifying system (my hiking gear is no longer reliable), get my bicycles tuned up in case my car breaks down and we need to pedal our way out of the city.
Also I'd get an inflable kayak and a big survival knife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: