Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 05:45 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
The professor in that class (afer grading my first 2 assignments) clearly told me I don't belong in that class.
The mods may not like this, but I'm going to post it anyway!
As an Honors English student, you should know to write "didn't", instead of "don't".
"In that class" was only needed once, "clearly" not at all.
There should also be more use of commas, in your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 06:07 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
As an Honors English student, you should know to write "didn't", instead of "don't".
I was thinking the same thing !

Old 03-08-2013, 08:49 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Approximately 80 percent of NYC high school grads can’t read well enough for community college

I am just wondering what are graduation requirements?
What else is new?

Old 03-08-2013, 08:53 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,546,986 times
Quote:

Aren't you the same poster who corrected me before? It is easy to confuse being lazy and incompetent. Yet, you completely miss the point of my post. Thanks for making the mistake clear though! I guess when you have nothing of substance to add to the thread, it's the least you can do. Keep up the good grammar detective!

Last edited by Mistertee; 03-08-2013 at 09:18 PM..

Old 03-08-2013, 09:14 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The article doesn't actually say 80% of NYC high school grads can't read well enough for community college. It says of those NYC high school grads applying for community college in NYC, 80% of them can't read well enough and must relearn basic reading and math. There's a difference between the two.
That is the same thing I was thinking.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:01 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,200 times
wandaring wen this wuld get hear. I told yall lol education system SUCKS!!!!!

Quote:
its called texting.............

Old 03-08-2013, 11:25 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Aren't you the same poster who corrected me before? It is easy to confuse being lazy and incompetent. Yet, you completely miss the point of my post. Thanks for making the mistake clear though! I guess when you have nothing of substance to add to the thread, it's the least you can do. Keep up the good grammar detective!
I probably am! Since you chose to respond, and took offense, let me be more direct. I believe that the community college professor was mistaken! Thanks, however, for doubling the number of commas in your post. We are making progress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
wandaring wen this wuld get hear. I told yall lol education system SUCKS!!!!! its called texting.............
An incoherent attempt at humor, is no defense. I do hope, that neither you nor MT were attempting to simultaneously text and drive.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:01 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,546,986 times
Quote:
I probably am! Since you chose to respond, and took offense, let me be more direct. I believe that the community college professor was mistaken! Thanks, however, for doubling the number of commas in your post. We are making progress.

An incoherent attempt at humor, is no defense. I do hope, that neither you nor MT were attempting to simultaneously text and drive.

I didn't take offence. It doesn't matter to me. People that crib about spelling/grammar regarding anonymous posts on the internet are either hypercritical, neurotic, control freaks or quite possibly insecure. Only insecure people like to constantly turn the attention to someone else because this enables them to take the attention off of their "flaws" and place the attention onto someone elses.

Again, you have not added anything of substance to the thread. My point is proven. Thanks!

Old 03-09-2013, 03:10 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You can look at the 80% number a different way. The 20% who do read at college standards are actually the ones who should be attending college. Just like 40+ years ago when only the top 20% or so of high school graduates attended college.

Newsflash: the literacy rates have been at this proportion for decades, what's changed is we now have a "college going culture" where everyone is pushed to go.
The 20% of those who read at college standards are applicants to community colleges. The numbers might be different for those applying to 4 year colleges, that's a flawed sample.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:51 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,975,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You can look at the 80% number a different way. The 20% who do read at college standards are actually the ones who should be attending college. Just like 40+ years ago when only the top 20% or so of high school graduates attended college.

Newsflash: the literacy rates have been at this proportion for decades, what's changed is we now have a "college going culture" where everyone is pushed to go.

Speaking of reading, you should work on your skills. The article clearly said:

While nearly 80 percent of students who graduate from New York Public Schools can’t read well enough to attend community college,

It never stated that 80% of the students are going to community college, it never said the other 20% aren't going to college, it said 80% of them can't read well enough to get into a community college, nothing more nothing less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City