Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 08:25 AM

10,068 posts, read 14,940,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I once had the most fantastic Manhattan view on a flight from Charleston,S.C. I had a left side window on a smallish plane and it came right up the East River on approach.It seemed like we flying at the same level as some of the buildings.It was early evening so there was still plenty of light but lots of lights were on inside the buildings too, so I could see people inside.The whole thing seemed to happen in slow motion too.It was the perfect seat on a perfect route at a perfect time of day.That's only happened once in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 08:34 AM

10,068 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Here is a take off where Manhattan is clearly visible:

Old 03-13-2013, 03:49 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,512,873 times
Quote:
I once had the most fantastic Manhattan view on a flight from Charleston,S.C. I had a left side window on a smallish plane and it came right up the East River on approach.It seemed like we flying at the same level as some of the buildings.It was early evening so there was still plenty of light but lots of lights were on inside the buildings too, so I could see people inside.The whole thing seemed to happen in slow motion too.It was the perfect seat on a perfect route at a perfect time of day.That's only happened once in my life.
I'm not sure what approach shoots you up the East River, but there's the River Visual approach for runway 13 which is kind of similar. You fly north right up the Hudson River at 3,500', then turn east to cut across uptown Manhattan (roughly in the area of Columbia) for a final approach for 13.

You can view it here.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:02 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,675,618 times
bluedog i had the same view upon approach from Atlanta to LaGuardia as you did. another time we had to circle around and the plane was tilted. out of one window i could see St Joseph's medical Center in Yonkers and out the other i could see Bay Plaza in Co-op City and the traffic on the "spaghetti junction" where I 95 meets the Bruckner, Hutch and Cross Bronx. views like that are priceless

Old 03-13-2013, 04:45 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,491 times
Quote:

Same for me. I think I was also flying in from the south. Was a bit higher on the approach and saw the complete skyline all lit up. I thought, damn, I love this city!

Old 03-13-2013, 04:50 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,071,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
I'm not sure what approach shoots you up the East River, but there's the River Visual approach for runway 13 which is kind of similar. You fly north right up the Hudson River at 3,500', then turn east to cut across uptown Manhattan (roughly in the area of Columbia) for a final approach for 13.

You can view it here.
I don't know either but the plane was definitely to the East of Manhattan because I had a view of the East Side from a left side window with the plane flying roughly parallel to Manhattan.We could have been actually over Western Brooklyn and it just felt like we were right over the river.When we got way uptown,I'm thinking 125th St or higher we did some kind of loop de loop and wound up coming into LGA from the North or Northeast.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:58 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,038,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post

You can view it here.
I hate this flight path, it prevents me from feeling at times. The planes fly directly over bruckner boulevard in Mott Haven before flying over the east river and landing at Lga.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:32 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,038,635 times
The best way to view Manhattan from a takeoff is when the plane departs and pulls up on runway 13 and banks to the right between Rikers and Brothers Islands, from then on the plane flies over St Mary's park in Mott Haven and continues its path when the plane flies over Yankee Stadium, after that the path continues to the GWB. For those who are sitting on the left side of the plane will witness a scenic view of Manhattan.

For those who are landing in NYC best way to view Manhattan is if the plane is flying east of Manhattan mostly flying over Brooklyn with its flight path flying over bay ridge, greenwood cemetery, Park slope, Brooklyn library, Fort Green, Bushwick, Ridgewood and continues on its path until it flies over the GC expressway and home. Another way to view Manhattan by air is when the plane straddles along the Hudson River, from then on the plane makes a turn to the right and flies over 125th street and continues over Bruckner boulevard and lands at runway 13. Sometimes planes continue over the Hudson and banks to the right over Yonkers and continues over to New Rochelle and Pelham manor, flies over Coop city, country club, over castle hill and then on to its final approach to Runway 22.

The weirdest flight path I have seen is when the planes fly down the Bronx River than switching over to third Avenue then switches over to Willis Avenue, when the plane flies over 138 st it makes a sharp left turn and straightens out when it reaches Bruckner boulevard then on to it'd approach to runway 13.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:01 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,512,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The weirdest flight path I have seen is when the planes fly down the Bronx River than switching over to third Avenue then switches over to Willis Avenue, when the plane flies over 138 st it makes a sharp left turn and straightens out when it reaches Bruckner boulevard then on to it'd approach to runway 13.
Yeah, it adds a little time, but you don't have to pay the toll on the triboro that way

Old 03-14-2013, 06:57 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,723,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterSound View Post
I'll have a four hour layover in New York next week. Are there any windows at LaGuardia with views of Manhattan? When taking off, what are the chances of catching a glimpse of the Empire State Building?

I live in Kansas so it's definitely a big deal to me, haha. Thanks for the help!
If you have a 4 hour layover, take a bus from the airport and go see it first hand! 1.5 hours to get there, 1.5 hours to get back, then still be there an hour early to go back through security! You won't have to check in, or check your bags or anything so all you have to do is the security check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City