Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 03:49 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times

Advertisements

I was rather dismayed to hear that Sulaiman Abu Ghayth, the son-in-law of Osama Bin Ladin, was brought back to NYC to face charges. Speaking as a self-centered New Yorker, I thought this was not a great idea.

1. We're a small island, and this kind of thing will paralyze part of downtown.
2. If this goes to trial, there is no way there can be any pretense of a fair trial with impartial jurors.
3. This just again makes a target of NYC for more attacks.
4. It will take away time from more important stories, like Bloomberg expounding on his plans.

I used to say they should take these to Washington, or at least Albany, where they'd like that kind of excitement. Then, talking to someone, I facetiously proposed Detroit, that then suddenly thought that was a fun idea.

5. Detroit has a sizable Muslim population, so it would be handy, and a better chance to claim a fair trial.
6. Detroit is in one of the worst economic slumps in the country, and this would be a huge boost to them, with the media all converging there.

Do chime in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 04:04 PM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Media doesn't really bring money to an economy. Citizens earning money makes the economy better. If all it took were reporters, Detroit should be ok- they have a lot of sports teams and even despite population decline, it's still one of the bigger metro areas in the USA.

In short, no. Terrible idea. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:09 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Media doesn't really bring money to an economy. Citizens earning money makes the economy better. If all it took were reporters, Detroit should be ok- they have a lot of sports teams and even despite population decline, it's still one of the bigger metro areas in the USA.

Sorry, but I'm not talking about the reporters already in Detroit. I'm talking about the avalanche of additional reporters who would flock in, all booking hotels, all eating on expense accounts, which would be a tremendous short-term boost. It's not a choice between "Citizens earning money" versus media - although obviously more people would be earning money catering to the temporary media.

What "Terrible idea"? Terrible idea to have the trial in NYC? Or you like the prospect of a trial in NYC and think it's a terrible idea to do it elsewhere?

Old 03-09-2013, 04:30 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Speaking as a self-centered New Yorker,
Pretty much.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:56 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
I don't see why it should be New York, we've had quite enough fallout from this whole "war on terrorism."

Let another City wear a a bull's-eye for a while, Washington DC perhaps, the people who started the whole magilla. They have a federal court there as well and it seems only the "representatives" in Washington who are interested in continuous war-mongering. So let them carry the ball, and the expense with these show-trials.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:46 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post

Couldn't agree more

Old 03-11-2013, 09:10 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,252,341 times
The worst crime which he is related to happened here. I'm probably gonna be criticised by progressive liberals for saying this but he should be tried here and hanged in the lobby of the new World Trade Center. Like Rudolf Hess who was brought back to the scene of his crimes and hanged on site.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
The worst crime which he is related to happened here.
Except that he was in no way related to the WTC bombing.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:54 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,252,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Except that he was in no way related to the WTC bombing.
Thanks KK for correting that one. You debunked my post! What is he charged for then?

Old 03-11-2013, 11:09 AM

One count of conspiracy and that probably because he had the misfortune to marry the wrong woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: