Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2013, 10:43 AM

7 posts, read 14,299 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm new here to this forum, so apologies if this isn't the right place to post this or something. I will be attending law school in NYC in the fall, and I'm trying to plan out my budge (AKA, how much in loans I need to take out). The school is in Greenwich Village and I would love to live within walking distance, but I am also willing to live further away and commute if that's the more affordable route. I'm looking to split rent in a 1-bedroom with my boyfriend, so that helps with rent costs too. Does this look like a reasonable monthly budget to live on? Did I leave anything out? Am I way underestimating (or overestimating)? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you!

$3,000/month

Rent & utilities: $1,400
Transport: $140
Gym: $60
Food (groceries & eating out): $400
Clothing: $100
School supplies (including books): $150
Loan fees: $50
Personal: $500
Savings: $200

(Any leftover from "personal" will go into savings)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 11:25 AM

11,201 posts, read 9,115,223 times
Greenwich village is expensive. not sure if you will find a 1 bedroom for 2800. Even if you do it will be a somewhat small 1 bedroom. you should consider expending your apt location. UWS, UES. Washington Heights (the west side from 168 to 193 West of Broadway - you will be next to the A train Express) etc.

MTA unlimited metrocard is 112.00

NYSC is around 70 to 80 after taxes. Unless, you want to join a NYC facility gym which can be hit or miss.

i believe your school books will be more expensive than 150.00. i remember attending college during 2002 to 2006 and i had to buy a book that cost 110.00

Old 03-31-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
Greenwich village is expensive. not sure if you will find a 1 bedroom for 2800. Even if you do it will be a somewhat small 1 bedroom. you should consider expending your apt location. UWS, UES. Washington Heights (the west side from 168 to 193 West of Broadway - you will be next to the A train Express) etc.

MTA unlimited metrocard is 112.00

NYSC is around 70 to 80 after taxes. Unless, you want to join a NYC facility gym which can be hit or miss.

i believe your school books will be more expensive than 150.00. i remember attending college during 2002 to 2006 and i had to buy a book that cost 110.00
Thanks for the feedback! There is a gym near the school that students get a discount at so it comes to only about $60, or so I've been told. I believe we also get a student discount at NYSC if we choose to go there.

As far as books, the estimate the school gives is $1200 per year, so I just divided that monthly even though I'll probably have to pay it all up front at some point.

And I'm definitely willing to expand my search for where to live! I've even considered living as far away as Queens; it would be a commute, but the places over there are so spacious and so affordable. It's a tough decision. I'll check out UWS, UES and Washington Heights too (I think I actually have a friend who lives in Washington Heights, so I'll ask her). Thanks!

Old 03-31-2013, 11:40 AM

11,201 posts, read 9,115,223 times
Are you attending NYU?

You should consider Hoboken. There is a path train right on Christopher Street. For 2800, you can find a apt. The path train is also cheaper than the MTA. I believe an unlimited is 70.00

Old 03-31-2013, 12:09 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,257,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenAOK View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm new here to this forum, so apologies if this isn't the right place to post this or something. I will be attending law school in NYC in the fall, and I'm trying to plan out my budge (AKA, how much in loans I need to take out). The school is in Greenwich Village and I would love to live within walking distance, but I am also willing to live further away and commute if that's the more affordable route. I'm looking to split rent in a 1-bedroom with my boyfriend, so that helps with rent costs too. Does this look like a reasonable monthly budget to live on? Did I leave anything out? Am I way underestimating (or overestimating)? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you!

$3,000/month

Transport: $140
Gym: $60
Food (groceries & eating out): $400
Clothing: $100
School supplies (including books): $150
Loan fees: $50
Personal: $500
Savings: $200

(Any leftover from "personal" will go into savings)
Remember if you are using $1400 for Rent and utilities I would budget $150-$200 con Con Ed cause in the summer it will be that high. In winter more like $100 but then you can save the extra $100.
Also is cell phone, internet, cable including in that? If so cell phone can be anywhere from $50-$100 and internet/cable $100. So that bring how much you can pay for rent down.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:10 PM

201 posts, read 389,624 times
That's a big personal number. Hopefully it includes some of these items & you just haven't split them out:
cell phone
internet
laundry
health insurance
renter's insurance
misc birthday/holiday gifts
travel $ to go home to see your family/friends
cable or Netflix (I know my sister didn't splurge on cable while she was in law school, but did like Netflix for some occasional movies/shows during non-study time)

Old 03-31-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisnowbird View Post
That's a big personal number. Hopefully it includes some of these items & you just haven't split them out:
cell phone
internet
laundry
health insurance
renter's insurance
misc birthday/holiday gifts
travel $ to go home to see your family/friends
cable or Netflix (I know my sister didn't splurge on cable while she was in law school, but did like Netflix for some occasional movies/shows during non-study time)
Yes, I am including most of those things in my personal budget. I am fortunate enough to still be on my parents' health insurance and cell phone bill, but I should be able to afford the rest by myself! I'm big on Netflix too

Old 04-01-2013, 06:22 AM

25,410 posts, read 37,165,786 times
Quote:
I feel that making a budget filled with minutiae (like gym $60) amounting to nothing when the largest item is indeterminate.
The ONLY thing you should be concerned with is whether or not you can get rent & utilities for $1400. For example, if it's $2000 you see how your gym cost becomes inconsequential?

Get the BIGGIE settled and the rest all falls into place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City