Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is NYC worth it?
Yes 47 50.00%
No 47 50.00%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 11:37 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,645,161 times

Advertisements

Considering everything, do you get what you pay for in the NYC area or it's overpriced for what you get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 12:04 PM

917 posts, read 2,007,920 times
Heck yeah it's overpriced! But Im a native so I dont know if I'll ever leave.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:10 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,263,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
Considering everything, do you get what you pay for in the NYC area or it's overpriced for what you get?
You don't get get space for what you pay for and yes things cost more here then in other cities but for the opportunities and all the possibilities the city offers you you get what you pay for.
What's a big house with 5 bedrooms/6 bathrooms for $250,000 in the middle of the country when you can't have the world at your door step...For those who don't need all the city offers pack up and leave and stop bitching about the prices. For those who love the city and appreciate all it is, remember you get so much more here than other cities and this is why everything costs more.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:54 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,174,552 times
For all NYC offers, yes.

Who needs a backyard when you have beautifully landscaped urban parks and playgrounds everywhere. Some so enormous you can run, bike, or even row through them. Some now offer fitness sectors (saves money on the gym) and others offer world class exhibits (like the Bronx Zoo in Bronx Park).

Who needs a large apartment when there are thousands of places to hang out in? Bars, lounges, clubs, restaurants, museums, again parks, ect. Why stay home. Life is too short to spend your days indoors,

You can buy anything here, we have some of the best shopping in the world.

The walkabiliy is great. The only place in the USA you can truly live car free. Plenty of opportunities to make social connects, or notice things you other wise wouldn't.

There are done but I feel this great city is worth the expense. There is a reason why NYC is such a sought after location. A world class Alpha city.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:04 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,052,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
For all NYC offers, yes.

Who needs a backyard when you have beautifully landscaped urban parks and playgrounds everywhere. Some so enormous you can run, bike, or even row through them. Some now offer fitness sectors (saves money on the gym) and others offer world class exhibits (like the Bronx Zoo in Bronx Park).

Who needs a large apartment when there are thousands of places to hang out in? Bars, lounges, clubs, restaurants, museums, again parks, ect. Why stay home. Life is too short to spend your days indoors,

You can buy anything here, we have some of the best shopping in the world.

The walkabiliy is great. The only place in the USA you can truly live car free. Plenty of opportunities to make social connects, or notice things you other wise wouldn't.

There are done but I feel this great city is worth the expense. There is a reason why NYC is such a sought after location. A world class Alpha city.
You know, you even some buildings in Manhattan have backyards. I went to someone's house whose apartment had a beautiful backyard in the Lower East Side and that was Manhattan. Many of the brownstones in LES or the West Village have backywards.

Oh, and if you count the outer boroughs, lots of places in Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx, and Staten Island have backyards.

There are large apartments in NYC, in all the boroughs. I have a friend who lives in a huge penthouse.

I do like living in NYC, but that's because I'm a writer and I need to be a place like NY where you have industries like publishing, film, and advertising to employ me. That doesn't mean I have any interest in living in a closet or a bathtub. You can get space in NYC itself. And though I do like to go out and do things, I also like having space in my place (I currently have a large studio, will get a bigger place as I have more money).

Old 04-05-2013, 02:16 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,916,945 times
NYC is an overated city, IMO.

I say;
If you're making six figueres as a single guy this is a great city for you to live.

This city is great for the rich, who can fully enjoy what the city offers (shopping, opera, fine dining, spacious apt in Manhattan, etc), otherwise, you're destined to looking for shopping sales, going to the overly crowded free concerts, eating tacos from a truck, and for most city residents being a life-long renter in the outer boros. Of course, this is not true for everyone who is of the working or middle classes, but it does cover a large portion of that population.

I find that most people living here for many years, perhaps decades (and I include myself in this category) overlook the negatives and in some sense rationalize their decision of staying put. But as time goes on, I've started questioning more and more my decision of staying here.
I, for one, wouldn't want to raise a family here.

Anyways, this is just one man's opinion. I've met several people that even though are financially struggling, they believe they are living their dreams by being here.

To each his own I guess.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:19 PM

8,713 posts, read 11,120,429 times
NY is overpriced but I wouldn't trade it for anything else! I love nyc through thick & thin!

Old 04-05-2013, 02:33 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,231,487 times
I'd have to think long and hard about raising a dog here, nevermind kids.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:35 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,314,531 times
If you do not care for the hype there is always Philly.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:39 PM

290 posts, read 690,041 times
I have mixed emotions on this. Ultimately, as livingsinglenyc said, if you don't like it then leave & quit complaining. But just to make conversation... The obvious is that it is outrageously expensive and tends to be full of people that love themselves and the money they make. Coming from a city nothing like NYC (Orlando) it is interesting to see and live through both spectrums. I do miss the ability to just hop in my car and drive around, with little to no traffic, listening to my music with the windows down, rather than car horns. And the more small, quaint areas that have nice bars and hang out spots..not inundated with overpretentious rich kids. I visted Charleston, SC a few weeks ago and couldn't believe how many please & thank yous I got in the few days I was there, true southern comfort..something again you get little to none of up here. People say the endless possibilities for jobs too..but I don't know that I buy that either. Yeah there's tons of jobs in the city, but for those that have advanced degrees and come from the ivy league type schools..medical, lawyers, wall st, etc. If that's the case though, I'm sure they're not worried about money in the first place. Look at all these people that work at the fast food chains striking in the city because they don't make enough..what, $9-$10/hr? So yeah, there's tons of those types of jobs here too, but they're having to pay for everything at the same astronomical costs as everyone else. Trust me, those jobs are abdundant down in Orlando too, and actually make a few $$ less, but the COL is sooo much less than here.

I guess the big pro for living here in NYC is the abundance of things to do..and the culture if that's your thing. Oh, the food too! I looooove that there's more than olive garden & red lobsters on every corner. But you can always find some kind of festival or show or special museum going on, and it's not the just the same thing over & over & over. But is that worth the high price of living here..? To each his own I guess. Also as someone mentioned, you can pretty much get anywhere you need to without a car, which I do..so that can always save a lot of money (and good for the environment). But then you have to use good ol' public transportation..I love stinky bums at 6am. ;-)

So in the scheme of things, unless you're just uber wealthy and don't have the worry of budgeting money, yes I do think it's very much so overpriced and can be ridiculous at times. It all depends on your situation though I guess..if you have money, sure it's easy to say you get what you pay for..if you're strapped for money and live paycheck to paycheck, then no it's probably not worth it. But I'm not knocking it, I'm enjoying my time here. Not a place I plan to live long term and raise my kids when I have them though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City