Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 10:18 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,619,303 times

Advertisements

Not trying to glorify crime, but I found this article from the NY Times very depressing.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...r.html?hp&_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 10:33 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,624,714 times
How times changes. In a good way it seems actually. But I am sure all these 'Hip-Hop' businesses or any African American business can actually flourish in Brownsville these days. You will think. I think the retail rents are low there and if you look at google maps, there are plenty of streets that needs retail. Or maybe they are too scared to open something there lol Like the Post Office mail issue.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:44 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,962 times
These red bearded pipe cleaner armed try hards have ruined a fine boro.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:33 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,332,053 times
People hate change but the only constant in life is change. Look at the history of this city. Neighborhoods have been undergoing constant change since NYC was established and they will continue to change and evolve far into the future.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:41 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,776,377 times
As a product of Bushwick projects when the first white people started moving in around flushing ave, mckibbin street off of bushwick/montrose stop, the initial reaction was rob and rape them. Slowly it happened scared people away in 96/97 then with arrests, od's and deaths of certain prominent hood leaders that died down and the influx slowly began and continues to this day.

I view it as a good and bad thing, bad thing because there are a lot of good people who because of various reasons cant leave the hood and alot of older people who this is all they know and with gentrification are being priced out. People dont realize what has happened to some of these folks.

The good part is of course the safer/clean up and if one group of people only know how to keep a place in ****ty conditions while another group knows how to improve it, i say make it better

Old 05-12-2013, 10:05 PM

39 posts, read 68,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
Not trying to glorify crime, but I found this article from the NY Times very depressing.

I read that article this morning too. I have never lived in Brooklyn. Don't know that many people who live there neither, but I was pissed off after reading that article. Before everyone else, I blame the slumlords for what's happening. Transplants always act like homeownership is a necessity, but back in the 70s 80s and early 90s, you'd have to be an idiot to buy a place in New York. These slumlords buy up all the realestate and get their money back in rent, meanwhile these poor families are kicked out as soon as living in a cramped brownstone becomes "trendy" and they can't afford their rent no more. People think brownstones are for rich people or whatever now, but they were built for poor people.

I've actually read people write bullcrap like Bed-Stuy used to be upper middle class whites before black folks came so upper middle class whites moving in now is just the same thing .

Old 05-13-2013, 05:09 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,908,267 times
Quote:

I agree. It's so depressing to have cleaner, safer neighborhoods.
It's so depressing not having that widespread ghettofication with its shootouts, hip-hop lyrics that talk about subjugating women, bling and materialism.
It's so depressing that those real new yorkers have been displaced by organic-loving fruitcakes.

Aghhh I'm so depressed after reading that article.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:31 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times
If they open a Duane Reade, I'll hop on a train and spend the evening.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:12 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:

I really have no comment. But I heard trends such as Yoga, cupcakes, iphones associated with hipster, yuppies and Transplants supposed to be on the decline in the coming years or if not now. Sorry to get off topic. But back to the article I'm kind of shell shocked that so much artistic audio in the form of hip hop that came out of Northwest Brooklyn/Central Brooklyn where much of gentrification within the borough of Brooklyn has taken place as of lately. Borough of Brooklyn is losing culture and soul. Since the article talks about hip hop coming out of these parts of Brooklyn, with gentrification and hipster yuppies as of now, I wonder what Hipster/Indie band will come out of Williamsburg to become the next Lumineers?

Old 05-13-2013, 08:50 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,332,053 times
Before folks get all "down with whitey" for pushing them out of their neighborhood, if I'm not mistaken, a significant number of brownstones or limestones in areas like Bed Stuy and Crown Heights are already black owned. These people stayed through the really bad times and are seeing the turnaround and the neighborhood is only becoming more transplant friendly because they are selling or renting to them. They toughed it out during the bad times and are now basically cashing in on a great retirement nest egg.

I met this older couple (like my parent's age) last weekend who had bought in Ft Greene back in the 70s. They were originally from Queens but bought a brownstone in Brooklyn and raised their daughter there (who turned out perfectly fine going up in that neighborhood. She went to an Ivy in fact). They were talking about how they saw the neighborhood transform before their eyes and ultimately sold in 2002 just after their daughter graduated college. I didn't bother to ask who they sold their place to, but why should I care? This couple played their cards right and ended up cashing in on a great retirement plan.

Though I've never been a renter myself, if you are a renter in one of these areas and you've been a model tenant and have a good relationship with your landlord, wouldn't there be no fear of being pushed out? Unless of course they decide to sell the place then you probably have to leave but otherwise your rent should stay fairly low, right? All the while seeing a vast improvement in neighborhood amenities and safety. So what if you roll your eyes at yet another coffee shop opening on the corner but isn't that better than having people selling drugs on that corner? I have a friend that moved to Park Slope several years ago and pays astronomically low rent for a two bedroom. She jokes about how she can never move because she wouldn't be able to afford to live in Park Slope ever again. I have another friend that lived in Astoria for years before it became really popular. He joked about his place being "a dump" but his rent was so cheap he had no desire to move- that is until he got engaged and moved in with his fiance. I have yet another friend that was renting in Ft Green years ago and is so angry at herself for moving because her rent was low, her place amazing, and centrally located near everything. She's now on a mission to buy in Bed Stuy before prices get well beyond her reach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City