Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 01:31 PM

5 posts, read 18,456 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all,

Currently trying to set up shop in Brooklyn (Williamsburg/Bushwick, ideally) and am in a slight predicament, mostly owing to the summer heat.

Does anyone have any experience squatting in any abandoned tunnels in Brooklyn? I've heard of the Cobble Hill Tunnel (aka the Atlantic Ave tunnel) but read that it's been closed recently (and also that it's owned/operated by a tourism company). So, any ideas of underground places in Brooklyn where I could squat undisturbed?

In the meantime, I'm parking under the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway in Williamsburg, but can't figure out if there are parking restrictions there. There're no signs, but then I see dozens of tow trucks speeding around each night like a scene from The Road Warrior. Anyone know about long-term parking under the BQE?

But yeah, I've just really gotta beat the heat and have some reliable, flexible abode because I'm actually trying to get a job and get out of the whole poverty thing for a while.

Thanks for any advice,
Al
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 02:24 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,922 times
Let me understand this a little better since it's not very clear from your post.
you're sleeping in your car under the BQE in Brooklyn ? is that correct?
If so, I believe there are no signs of alternate side parking regulations, so you should be ok in terms of not getting your car towed. I can't speak of safety, but from my 1 yr of living in Sunset park, I can say that the area under the BQE looks very shady. A lot unsavory characters roaming around, so be careful.

And just curious, why Williamsburg/Bushwick ideally ?

Old 06-25-2013, 10:38 PM

5 posts, read 18,456 times
Yep, sleeping in van under BQE. It's just that I see many tow trucks speeding around down there in the early AM, so am worried of some arbitrary guidelines that would permit them to tow "abandoned" vehicles, or something like that.

The shade provided by the expressway overhead is better than nothing, but realistically I need to find cooler summer quarters that I can rely on. I'm getting my real estate license now, and will start work immediately after, so need to be at the top of my game in terms of being well rested.

It is fairly shady, but not as bad as it could be. Have already been homosexually propositioned by an Orthodox Jew, although that's par for the course.

Bushwick/Williamsburg just because it's a happening area, and it's where I've lived in the past.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:02 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,332,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haarlem Venison View Post
Have already been homosexually propositioned by an Orthodox Jew, although that's par for the course.
Well...did you say yes?

Old 06-26-2013, 08:50 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,404,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haarlem Venison View Post
Have already been homosexually propositioned by an Orthodox Jew, although that's par for the course.
LOL those Brooklyn Cowboy's are freaks. I bet he would have had a few men for you to please when you got to his pad. Make sure you take the money up front because they are typically cheap and might stiff you in the end.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:43 AM

466 posts, read 902,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
LOL those Brooklyn Cowboy's are freaks. I bet he would have had a few men for you to please when you got to his pad. Make sure you take the money up front because they are typically cheap and might stiff you in the end.
Oh, they'd stiff him in the end, all right.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:11 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,725,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
lol, that's so messed up. How come we never hear about the pervy orthodox women instead?

Old 06-26-2013, 12:13 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
ROFL...

Cannot get the image of a real estate broker living under a bridge blowing Yeshiva students out of my head.

Different strokes and all that.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:13 PM

483 posts, read 870,647 times
OP has misfortune of being between homes during week's summer heat wave. Looks like summer in New York City is going to be long and humid. All I can suggest is an alley spot in Brooklyn near cross section of Troy and Glenwood. Old friend lived there for six months in abandoned school bus. BTW, you won't be propositioned here. You will have some peace and access to free stale bread. A bootleg plant nearby prepares bread rolls for morning deliveries. Good luck OP and stay hungry, my friend.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:59 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,619,083 times
But there ARE alternate side signs under the BQE...this is all very mysterious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: