Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 10:38 AM

993 posts, read 1,384,909 times

Advertisements

Why is it legal for people to board MTA subways fully covered in a burka, the Mideast female garment that leaves only eyes showing? Would MTA security tolerate men swiping a subway turnstile while wearing a ski mask pulled down to their chin?

France already outlawed women wearing a burka in public. England still allows it.
France’s burka ban is a victory for tolerance - Telegraph

In past years, male and female terrorists hid underneath burkas to attack Israelis. Even Osama Bin Laden hid underneath one, for a short while, when on the run from U.S. manhunts.

At the moment of this posting, Paris security is actively searching for a female terror suspect, believed armed, named Hayat Boumediene. She's sole survivor of 4 who killed a policewoman, held civilians hostage and murdered 4 in a Kosher Supermarket in Paris, killed 13 journalists and others at the Charlie Hebdo cartoon office building. There are photos of Hayat in a burka, from her days before this week. It's not that I think Hayat's in NYC, that's stupid. Current news is she may have slipped into Turkey or Syria.

Point is: Our city is being naive and clueless to allow any person onto MTA train or bus, while wearing a burka covering their entire face.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 01-10-2015 at 11:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 11:36 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,024,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
Why is it legal for people to board MTA subways fully covered in a burka, the Mideast female garment that leaves only eyes showing? Would MTA security tolerate men swiping a subway turnstile while wearing a ski mask pulled down to their chin?
Yes, they would.

Old 01-10-2015, 05:05 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
That woman is long gone from Paris and France as well.

News media are reporting she fled via plane on the day the French policewoman was shot to IIRC Spain, then Turkey onto Syria. Should this prove correct it will be difficult if impossible to find her much less haul her back to France.

Old 01-10-2015, 05:48 PM

571 posts, read 790,683 times
Quote:
Why is it legal for people to board MTA subways fully covered in a burka
The 1st Amendment?

Old 01-11-2015, 11:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,974 times
Quote:
Why is it legal for people to board MTA subways fully covered in a burka, the Mideast female garment that leaves only eyes showing?
What on earth are you talking about?

First, a burqa* isn't a "Mideast female garment." I think you mean Muslim female garment. Not all Middle Eastern people are Muslims and most Muslims aren't from the Middle East. In fact, most of those Muslim women who wear burqas* aren't from the Middle East. They're usually in Central/South Asian countries like Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Second, there aren't even many Middle Eastern people in NYC. Most of the Muslims here are South Asians (mainly Bangladeshis and Pakistanis). Mainstream Americans have a bad habit of pretending South Asians are Middle Eastern even they look nothing alike... like that British Indian actor playing an Iraqi on Lost.

Third, this is a burqa. You're not likely to see many women wearing this:

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...a_1428680c.jpg

This is a niqab, which is probably what you're talking about:

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/...ab-ban-006.jpg

And this is a hijab (that scarf thing), which is probably the most common:

http://www.prayingforindonesia.com/w...2/09/Hijab.jpg

P.S. I'm not a Muslim don't even try it.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:35 AM

5,113 posts, read 4,963,078 times
It seems like that America has got most of the moderate or reformed muslims here. The niqab thing is the most uncomfortable looking thing for me...i have no difficulty in agreeing that it be limited to home wear instead of at public venues, or at least, they should lighten it up in some other more cheerful colors. Imagine that all the Swedes wandering in the streets in their viking outfits...
Also, the apparels of many conservative male jews gave me similar feelings. Like I said before, I jumped a little upon my fist passing through of Boropark on a Friday sun down.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:18 AM

112 posts, read 181,717 times
Quote:
Why is it legal for people to board MTA subways fully covered in a burka
De Blasio

Old 01-12-2015, 03:20 AM

112 posts, read 181,717 times
Also why is it legal for people allowed to crowd the underground tunnels that we call Penn Station with sleeping bags and heaps of trash at night??

Old 01-12-2015, 06:28 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
Quote:

why can burkas board NYC subways?
To get to the other Side?

Old 01-12-2015, 07:36 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,555,912 times
Anyone can wear whatever dumb2$$ thing they want on the subway as long as its not dangerous or severely impacting other's "quiet enjoyment" of the ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: