Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2013, 10:32 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times

Advertisements

most new yorkers don't want to move
somewhere else, because it's too
country.

there, i said it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 10:46 AM

414 posts, read 537,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
What city in this nation has a flourishing middle class that has a top notch QOL? Anywhere you go you can find a good portion of the population living in subpar QOL conditions. Some cities might just hide them better than others but during an era that lacks opportunities, pretty sure that social issues exist.
thats a pretty ignorant statement, not even counting southern cities or smaller cities:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkc View Post
This is my list of reasonably priced, nicer cities that are good to move to, depending on each person's preferences on culture and weather:

Portland, Seattle, Sacramento, Denver, Minneapolis, Columbus, Pittsburgh. San Diego is kinda pricey, but I feel like it's worth it too if you like that kinda setting.

I wouldn't live down south, but that's just me.
most American cities/metros are middle class friendly, except the biggest ones

Old 09-06-2013, 10:58 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
thats a pretty ignorant statement, not even counting southern cities or smaller cities:
I think that the original question and this entire thread is pretty ignorant to start with anyway.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:00 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
The biggest that come to mind are Atlanta, Dallas, and Orlando.
There are hoods in all three but those are chronically poor people who aren't working.

Middle class salaries can buy or rent homes in all those places which you'd have to be a Millionaire in NYC to afford.

After those three cities- I'd still say places like San Jose, Philadelphia, Phoenix and Chicago can be expensive places to live, but working a middle class job like retail manager, classroom teacher, or deputy city treasurer you can rent a good apartment in a decent part of town (downtown district or otherwise)- albeit not have a lot of money for some of the more expensive entertainment venues in such places.

NYC's middle class is duct taped together by ridiculous social programs.
So in these cities, someone can buy a home in a location that is just as walkable as NYC while making less than $60k?

Old 09-06-2013, 11:37 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,429,953 times
Quote:
i heard some people say nyc nightlife fell off, is this accurate?
It's been that way for way over a decade now depending on who you ask. I haven't partied in NYC in well....over a decade. I save my money and go on party binges overseas. It sucks when I am saving up for it but who wants to blow $9 on a BEER ?

I am a native 1970's 80's. There is no way in hell you can drag me to the new meat market district or anywhere for that matter. BROOKLYN you say ? Sure can you organize and pay for my luxury sedan that will take me home at 4am...because I sure as hell won't be taking the subway with a full bladder....been there done that and it wasn't pretty.

The party is at home....good booze smoking allowed no security and I don't need to dress or travel for it.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:43 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
It's been that way for way over a decade now depending on who you ask. I haven't partied in NYC in well....over a decade. I save my money and go on party binges overseas. It sucks when I am saving up for it but who wants to blow $9 on a BEER ?

I am a native 1970's 80's. There is no way in hell you can drag me to the new meat market district or anywhere for that matter. BROOKLYN you say ? Sure can you organize and pay for my luxury sedan that will take me home at 4am...because I sure as hell won't be taking the subway with a full bladder....been there done that and it wasn't pretty.

The party is at home....good booze smoking allowed no security and I don't need to dress or travel for it.
You can still easily get a beer for $5 in manhattan or even $3 at happy hour. The Meat Packing and SoHo clubs have never been and will never be your scene. Drinks there have always been overpriced compared to what normal people would pay, that's nothing new ($20+ cocktails). Nightlife is alive and well, and there's something for every type and budget

Old 09-06-2013, 11:48 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,429,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
You can still easily get a beer for $5 in manhattan or even $3 at happy hour. The Meat Packing and SoHo clubs have never been and will never be your scene. Drinks there have always been overpriced compared to what normal people would pay, that's nothing new ($20+ cocktails). Nightlife is alive and well, and there's something for every type and budget
I hardly consider having a beer at a pub a night out. That was never what NYC was famous for....big parties big clubs debauchery. That's what I am into. I can go down to Daytona Beach and sit at a pub...different tastes obviously.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:56 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I hardly consider having a beer at a pub a night out. That was never what NYC was famous for....big parties big clubs debauchery. That's what I am into. I can go down to Daytona Beach and sit at a pub...different tastes obviously.
It's called inflation lol

Old 09-06-2013, 03:01 PM

431 posts, read 659,936 times
Quote:
i heard some people say nyc nightlife fell off, is this accurate?

Yes. Within the last 10 years. All the clubs and bar that I used to go to in the 90's-early 2000's are gone. Nightlife has changed in many cities across the country. Not only in NYC. Miami, LA, and Vegas. It's wack or maybe I'm getting older...

Old 09-06-2013, 03:08 PM

414 posts, read 537,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa1974 View Post
Yes. Within the last 10 years. All the clubs and bar that I used to go to in the 90's-early 2000's are gone. Nightlife has changed in many cities across the country. Not only in NYC. Miami, LA, and Vegas. It's wack or maybe I'm getting older...
no, jus seems like its wack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City