Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 08:58 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,310,360 times

Advertisements

Believe that someone already mentioned earlier that it all depends on the materialistic items that one wishes to attain. If you appreciate urban infrastructure, cultural/ethnic diversity and observing civilization interact, then NYC is for you. If your preference is having really big house and multiple automobiles, then it is not. For me personally, as you can probably already imagine, I think the latter is unnecessary. Although I got more than enough square footage at the very moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 09:13 AM

414 posts, read 537,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Believe that someone already mentioned earlier that it all depends on the materialistic items that one wishes to attain. If you appreciate urban infrastructure, cultural/ethnic diversity and observing civilization interact, then NYC is for you. If your preference is having really big house and multiple automobiles, then it is not. For me personally, as you can probably already imagine, I think the latter is unnecessary. Although I got more than enough square footage at the very moment.
i hear wat u sayin, but id prolly still live somewhere else like chicago if i was that kinda person

Old 09-10-2013, 09:13 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,399,862 times
do you want to see all the average people move away from the region?
is that what you can't say already?

Old 09-10-2013, 09:23 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times
Quote:
You can have the latter and still have cultural/ethnic diversity. My neighborhood is probably 60% White, and 40% other races/cultures. Also, having multiple autos is not unnecessary if you live in an area where the car is the common mode of transportation. Each person has his/her own car...not unusual.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
do you want to see all the average people move away from the region?
is that what you can't say already?
i dont care what people do with their lives, thats their own choice
im jus interested to know why

Old 09-10-2013, 09:26 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,037,055 times
Quote:
I agree, but it also depends on what a person, wants, needs, desires out of living as well, but at the same time it can all be subjective. For some urbanity, infrastructure, cultural/ethnic diversity far outweights crime, grime, filth, high cost of living, cold brutal winters, steamy summers, crowded trains, long commute times, bed bugs, rats, roaches, stomach flu and herpes strain 2 etc, that is NYC. While for some, good schools, mcmansions, lower cost of living, quality of life, big box stores in the middle of nowhere is good and worth while for them to live in the burbs which too has its hiccups with its sprawl. There is an old saying, too much is never enough vs enough is plenty.. I'm not sure if you know but in the past decade Americas suburbs have become very diverse instead of being culturally and racially homogenous while cities big cities like NYC, Boston, SF and DC is becoming racially and to a greater extent culturally homogenous regardless of race or even income strata within this cultural group called the urban yuppie transplant. For me personally I want to move to a smaller city or mid size city vs being in a large dense city like NY. Much of the boom in America is not lead by large cities such as NYC or SF, but smaller cities like Austin, Dallas, Houston, or Atlanta, Charlotte.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:34 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times
It also depends on what stage of life that you're in. I'm in my mid 30s, married with two kids. I desire a suburban lifestyle. I would have wanted this regardless if I stayed in NYC or not. The difference is that where I am now, I can get it without having to pay a ridiculous sum of money. Despite what many people think, I'm not in the middle of nowhere, and there are many local places that aren't chains. Local festivals and cuisine. Also, while I make less, the work atmosphere is far less stressful and people actually respect that you have a family and don't expect you to work 60 hours. It's not for everyone, and the person who used the analogy about cars is kind of correct. You take into account what "features" you desire and customize your living situation accordingly. In my early 20s, I probably would not have left NYC. NYC is f'n awesome...but that doesn't mean that other smaller cities aren't really nice either even if their COL is lower.

I do think that this thread is kind of a "bait-thread".

Last edited by riaelise; 09-10-2013 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-10-2013, 09:36 AM

all threads are bait threads by that logic

Old 09-10-2013, 09:41 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,037,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
It also depends on what stage of life that you're in. I'm in my mid 30s, married with two kids. I desire a suburban lifestyle. I would have wanted this regardless if I stayed in NYC or not. The difference is that where I am now, I can get it without having to pay a ridiculous some of money. Despite what many people think, I'm not in the middle of nowhere, and there are many local places that aren't chains. Local festivals and cuisine. Also, while I make less, the work atmosphere is far less stressful and people actually respect that you have a family and don't expect you to work 60 hours. It's not for everyone, and the person who used the analogy about cars is kind of correct. You take into account what "features" you desire and customize your living situation accordingly. In my early 20s, I probably would not have left NYC. NYC is f'n awesome...but that doesn't mean that other smaller cities aren't really nice either even if their COL is lower.

I do think that this thread is kind of a "bait-thread".
I agree and I had to rep you, smaller cities can be just as festive as NYC, but so many people are caught in a bubble and say NYC is great for this and for that, and NYC is best for this and best for that. If people are happy and content with what they got in NYC that is good for them and for those that are not content with where they are from and want to move to NYC to make something out for themselves, so be it, Transplants can have NYC. For those that are not happy in NYC and want to move somewhere else that is worthwhile, can give them some breathing room, more space, cleaner environment, less people, and a place to be themselves or raise a family, so be it. People should just be happy. If someone is happy to pay 3k dollars for a shoebox studio in Manhattan good for them, while some is happy to pay 3k for a Mcmansion in Atlanta, good for them too. Some of the best fun that I have in my life is usually outside of NYC.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:48 AM

19,034 posts, read 13,944,967 times
3000 in Atlanta gets a LOT more than a McMansion. More like a REAL mansion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City