Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 11:46 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times

Advertisements

Yeah, you can get a good diet from your local grocery store. It's eat less, move more. Find out what you can and can't live without and make adjustments if needed. Then get out and walk. One of the greatest things I liked about NYC was the walkability, even in the boroughs. I often walked miles without any thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 12:15 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yeah, you can get a good diet from your local grocery store. It's eat less, move more. Find out what you can and can't live without and make adjustments if needed. Then get out and walk. One of the greatest things I liked about NYC was the walkability, even in the boroughs. I often walked miles without any thought.

I walked from the 241st in the Bronx to Coney Island in Brooklyn.

Old 09-22-2013, 01:23 AM

211 posts, read 340,880 times
I like this topic. Aldi has been a crutch for cheap food for me for quite some time - I am a huge fan. Did you know that Trader Joe's was started by Theo Albrecht and is owned by Aldi Nord?

Anyway, I see that there is an Aldi within a reasonable distance of the area in Queens that I'm hoping to land in the next couple months (Astoria, Woodside, Sunnyside, Jackson Heights, Elmhurst). I've heard so much about the diversity in Queens that I really want to be able to go to places like the aforementioned Patel Brothers and smaller shops. I'm really curious how their prices will hold up to Aldi. In Alabama it is hard to find places that reliably have the things that I want. The Asian stores are pretty good about having cheap ginger, but the well dried up for dandelion tea and I haven't been able to find any in months.

I'm pretty excited about this! Please, if anybody wants to represent for their local market in Queens I would love to hear it.

Old 09-22-2013, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curzon_dax View Post
I like this topic. Aldi has been a crutch for cheap food for me for quite some time - I am a huge fan. Did you know that Trader Joe's was started by Theo Albrecht and is owned by Aldi Nord?

Anyway, I see that there is an Aldi within a reasonable distance of the area in Queens that I'm hoping to land in the next couple months (Astoria, Woodside, Sunnyside, Jackson Heights, Elmhurst). I've heard so much about the diversity in Queens that I really want to be able to go to places like the aforementioned Patel Brothers and smaller shops. I'm really curious how their prices will hold up to Aldi. In Alabama it is hard to find places that reliably have the things that I want. The Asian stores are pretty good about having cheap ginger, but the well dried up for dandelion tea and I haven't been able to find any in months.

I'm pretty excited about this! Please, if anybody wants to represent for their local market in Queens I would love to hear it.

Yes, I have heard about that! I believe Aldi is Trader Joe's younger brother (or vise verse) and actually, there's an Aldi in Queens! It's in Woodhaven BLVD near the Queens Center Mall. Queens is indeed the most diverse borough in Manhattan my favorite borough. If you have any questions about Queens, PM me. I'm the King Of New York/King Of Queens.

Old 09-22-2013, 02:19 AM

I forgot to mention there's also an Aldi in Queens in Woodhave BLVD. There's also a Trader Joes in Brooklyn and in Queens as well folks.

Old 09-22-2013, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Tell me about it. Spend $20 a day feeding yourself and you've got a $600 food bill at the end of the month. And that's not even including cocktails or splurge meals where a 20% tips is expected.

The best thing you can do is to just make a conscious effort to eat less, whatever your diet normally consists of. Most people eat way more than they need anyway, and I'm not just picking on fat people here. I mean thin fit guys like me as well, as I am no exception. I'd walk into Burger King with a big appetite and order the double whopper with cheese meal with onion rings and drink, and what the hell...throw the cinnabon in on top of that as well for desert for a $12 fast food tab. Being a pig is expensive. It's also not doing your health any favors.
Tell me about it. A lot of my friends claim eating is so expensive but don't realize what they're doing wrong. Going out to a restaurant every night and leaving a tip is 18% tip is always going to add up. There's not a thing wrong with home cooking but we this fast paced society we live in--especially in big cities--we need everything NOW and convenience in every corner.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:38 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
They opened an Aldi's in Brooklyn as well on Nostrand Avenue.

As for healthy, I do not purchase "organic" anything. I will simply do most of my cooking at home and try to make simple side dishes/salads a couple of times a week. Most importantly, I shop for sales (Pathmark) and then stock up on those items. And, especially important for me, I try to keep junk food out of my place for the most part.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:47 AM

937 posts, read 1,135,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Lol soda is literally the worst thing you can put in your body. Forget about fat content. Forget about calories. Forget about cholesterol. You can be a healthy person and eat that stuff correctly. Sugar on the other hand, particular refined sugar like that in soda, is absolute poison. And the main reason IMO that people are such unhealthy, tubs of crap. That and constant fast food that is. Yes that may sound like it goes against what I just said, but that stuff is just bad fat/calories/cholesterol. I eat the fack outta red meat and eggs and cheese and the such on the regular. And I'm built like a statue, son. You just gotta do it right. Eat balanced. Plenty of veggies (more than fruit). Drop the soda. Drop the store bought iced tea. Drop the juice even. Drink water only. If you need that fix, drink seltzer water. When it's cold, it's refreshing as hell.

/rant
I have to agree that dropping soda is one of the healthiest things one can do. I stopped drinking soda 5 years ago. Mostly, my body only craves fresh spring water but on occasion, I'll drink pure organic apple juice or I'll make a fresh 100% veggie (kale, apple, carrot) drink. If I'm in the mood for a little bubble, I'll drink a cold glass of 100% mineral water (S. Pellegrino) w/ fresh slices of lemon and lime.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:24 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Lol soda is literally the worst thing you can put in your body. Forget about fat content. Forget about calories. Forget about cholesterol. You can be a healthy person and eat that stuff correctly. Sugar on the other hand, particular refined sugar like that in soda, is absolute poison. And the main reason IMO that people are such unhealthy, tubs of crap. That and constant fast food that is. Yes that may sound like it goes against what I just said, but that stuff is just bad fat/calories/cholesterol. I eat the fack outta red meat and eggs and cheese and the such on the regular. And I'm built like a statue, son. You just gotta do it right. Eat balanced. Plenty of veggies (more than fruit). Drop the soda. Drop the store bought iced tea. Drop the juice even. Drink water only. If you need that fix, drink seltzer water. When it's cold, it's refreshing as hell.

/rant
Our bodies just dont process sugar well. I stopped buying Coke, Pepsi, Sprite etc. Admittedly, I still buy juice, ice tea and an occasional ginger ale. I started buying seltzer water.

Back to the thread, Western Beef has great prices on red meats and poultry. I can spend 70 bucks on red meats and poultry in Western Beef and that will feed my family of 4 for 3-4 weeks.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-22-2013, 09:30 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
I have to agree that dropping soda is one of the healthiest things one can do. I stopped drinking soda 5 years ago. Mostly, my body only craves fresh spring water but on occasion, I'll drink pure organic apple juice or I'll make a fresh 100% veggie (kale, apple, carrot) drink. If I'm in the mood for a little bubble, I'll drink a cold glass of 100% mineral water (S. Pellegrino) w/ fresh slices of lemon and lime.
You can also mix juice with sparkling/seltzer water. One part juice to two parts or more of sparkling water is pretty good. Really cheap if you own a sodastream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City