Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2014, 06:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,452 times

Advertisements

I am disable with mental disability and i have Section 8. I need a building with an elevator and i want to live in a good area because i need to feel comfortable. I want to go to school for computer science and i am 39 years old. I need help. I don't like the ghetto areas. I want to live somewhere safe because i am a paraonoid schizophrenic and i need to live somewhere i feel safe. Please let me know if anybody can help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 11:54 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
Paranoid Schizophrenics are welcomed EVERYWHERE!

But firstly I'd recommend the U.S. Congress.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:44 AM

298 posts, read 707,248 times
You're going to need to be far out. The 'hood will make anyone crazy. Maybe something like a garden apartment in Garfield, NJ?

Old 06-30-2014, 09:17 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,307,192 times
There are much better places to live on section 8 in this country with your condition than NYC, too stressful! There is chill low income housing in Laguna Beach California a couple blocks from the beach, They give priority to disabled, Hagan Place and Vista Aliso apartments, There is also a free clinic nearby.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:35 AM

87 posts, read 104,459 times
You didn't say WHERE you were looking exactly. NYC or NJ? First off, in NYC the "ghetto areas" you speak of were the main neighborhoods that excepted section 8 tenants, and now with gentrification going on, those apartments are dwindling even in said "ghetto" areas. You may have some luck in NJ.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:51 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YayBed-Stuy View Post
You didn't say WHERE you were looking exactly. NYC or NJ? First off, in NYC the "ghetto areas" you speak of were the main neighborhoods that excepted section 8 tenants, and now with gentrification going on, those apartments are dwindling even in said "ghetto" areas. You may have some luck in NJ.
Oh, those apartments are not at all dwindling in Brownsville, East New York, North Bronx, and other really bad areas. The OP will easily find places to stay in those neighborhoods (they are getting even worse). Staten Island is undergoing ghettoization in part as more program people move there.

OP, there's other kinds of low income housing that can be found in nice neighborhoods (but getting in will be tight). You might try applying to 80/20s or LAMPS.

It's impossible to get a Section 8 apartment in a decent area or halfway decent year. Sorry, that's just how that goes.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:20 PM

87 posts, read 104,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Oh, those apartments are not at all dwindling in Brownsville, East New York, North Bronx, and other really bad areas. The OP will easily find places to stay in those neighborhoods (they are getting even worse). Staten Island is undergoing ghettoization in part as more program people move there.

OP, there's other kinds of low income housing that can be found in nice neighborhoods (but getting in will be tight). You might try applying to 80/20s or LAMPS.

It's impossible to get a Section 8 apartment in a decent area or halfway decent year. Sorry, that's just how that goes.
I agree- that is what I am saying. For example- as Bed-Stuy became "hot", a lot of those apartments dried up. Bed-Stuy has both good and bad areas but most of Brownsville, ENY and parts of the Bronx are really bad. This guy is saying he is too paranoid for really bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: